Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Confirmation on Some Speculation (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2126)

DGthe3 11-28-2007 02:16 PM

Confirmation on Some Speculation

Before I start I would like to quote some lines from the song Ladies and Gentlemen by Saliva

Quote:

Like nothing you’ve ever seen before
Watch closely as I open this door
Your jaws will be on the floor
After this you’ll be begging for more

Welcome to the show
Please come inside
Ladies and gentlemen

woa
Do you want it?
woa
Do you need it?
woa
Let me hear it
Ladies and gentlemen
You need to go through the full story before you get my reveal . . .

I just had an individual from GM who is involved with advanced propulsion systems at General Motors as a guest lecturer. He talked about the new hybrid trucks as well as the volt, among other things. It was said that the two mode hybrid silverado uses the 6.0L engine because of the power band. At the end I went up to him and innocently asked if it were possible to have a hybrid system like in the upcomming trucks in a performance vehicle like the Corvette or Camaro. He said that it is very possible because that is the engine they are considering for the Camaro.

I will give pause to let that sink in.

This is similar to what has been mentioned here, but we know for sure absolutly that a 6.0L is being considered, an engine which has active fuel management and a hybrid capability.

Mr. Wyndham 11-28-2007 02:33 PM

okay...going into web-souring mode to uncover this 6.0L.........................

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...virusGIF-1.gif

:eek: Noohttp://www.websitegoodies.com/smilie...ghting0035.gif

Okay...(after a fight;))here's what I could dig up:

the Tahoe an Yukon both use two-mode...like the Silverado will. And the only current non-hybrid 6.0L V8 in the truck lineup is the L76. (Only two trucks, the Saab 9-7x Aero, and the Trailblazer SS use the LS2, so it doesn't count;))
This leads me to belive that the hybrid engine is also based off of the L76.

We know the L76 has been refitted for car-applications in the G8. Sooooooo...the L76 is said to being considered as a possible Camaro engine. I can believe that.

TAG UR IT 11-28-2007 03:16 PM

Ok...someone spell this out please. Hybrid Camaro. Gas and _______. E85? What exactly could this be?

Mr. Wyndham 11-28-2007 03:27 PM

:confused: what are you asking, TAG? If the Camaro will run E85? or if it's going to be a hybrid?.....or both;)

DGthe3 11-28-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 31933)
Ok...someone spell this out please. Hybrid Camaro. Gas and electric. E85? What exactly could this be?

And it will probably support E85 as well

Pencil.Fight 11-28-2007 03:32 PM

"Hybrid Camaro"... Wow, it's really hard not to be completely horrified by seeing those two words next to each other. They each have such different stigmas.

When I think "Hybrid", the prius is the first thing to pop into my mind, and I don't want anything associated with the prius to be associated with the Camaro.

I just have to keep reminding myself that Hybrids have gotten much better, and if GM is even considering making the Camaro a hybrid, they've got to know that they can do it right.

...right?

DGthe3 11-28-2007 03:47 PM

The two mode hybrid system was developed by GM, Daimler-Chrysler, and Mercadez-Benz. Basically it has a pair of electric motors integrated with an automatic transmission. So they can drive the entire system by themselves if need be, or assist durring high torque applications. This coupled with variable valve timing, active fuel management makes for fuel economy typically seen in 4 cylinder camry. http://www.chevrolet.com/hybrid/

Oh and the engine makes 367 horsepower @ 5500 rpm and 375 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4300 rpm

TAG UR IT 11-28-2007 05:45 PM

now...I just had to have somene else say it. We were just talking about a hybrid Camaro last week...exhaust note, etc...??? And reading this just about freaked me out. Like, "it's actually possible???"

stovt001 11-28-2007 05:48 PM

Who's been pulling for the L76 all this time? Yes, me. I'm taking this moment in.

Mr. Wyndham 11-28-2007 06:41 PM

Ever since the first Silverado hybrid, but now the new Silverado hybrid; I parallel hybrid w/ trucks, and power w/ fuel economy, and GM. As such I really wouldn't say no to a Hybrid Camaro...honestly, I wouldn't. This two-mode thing...doesn't seem to add a terrible amount of wieght...a little more 'fat' I guess, but good 'fat';).

z28camaro2471 11-28-2007 08:06 PM

I all for saving the environment, reducing our dependency on the Middle East, etc, but I do NOT want a hybrid Camaro. They can do what they want with the v6 cars but not the v8(s).

The only electric motors I want in my Camaro will roll the windows up and down.

DGthe3 11-28-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 (Post 31977)
I all for saving the environment, reducing our dependency on the Middle East, etc, but I do NOT want a hybrid Camaro. They can do what they want with the v6 cars but not the v8(s).

The only electric motors I want in my Camaro will roll the windows up and down.

So you want to hand crank the engine to start it . . . ?:sm0:

Seriously though, you're entitled to your opinion. It certainly wont be the top camaro, and I think it needs to have a automatic which are two downsides to it. But it should get north of 30 mpg with a total of over 450 hp (gas+electric). I can see it being popular IF it does become a reality.

AirGoya 11-28-2007 09:07 PM

I like the idea. This would definitely blow peoples minds.
I remember reading that most of the system is located in the transmission so maybe there wont be that much 'fat'.
I just kinda dont like the idea of the car being too complicated. I would like my car to be 2 door, front engine V8, rear wheel drive, and damn good looking. Its an easy way to make an awesome car. This may upset some people. But if GM offers a non hybrid version of the same engine or the top dog camaro is a non hybrid, then this is an AWESOME IDEA. :w00t:
GM is really thinking outside the box, and I LIKE IT.

Mr. Wyndham 11-28-2007 10:35 PM

:eyebulge:I just want to clarify what I understand to be the situation here...
An informant said a Hybrid Camaro is doable. We don't even know if GM is remotely thinking about it at all at this point.

The point of the thread...I think, was to illuminate that the L76 is in fact being considered as an engine.

I just don't want people to get their panties in a bunch(good or bad) because there's going to be a Hybrid Camaro...there's probably not.