Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   How to install Ofer's backup camera retrofit (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142833)

jimmyh 04-22-2011 05:11 PM

How to install Ofer's backup camera retrofit

10 Attachment(s)
It took me about 2.5-3 hours. That included several breaks, taking pictures, and basically taking my sweet time. Were I to do this again, I would bet 1.5 hours tops. You need Ofer's camera and harness, and an Onstar LCD mirror. I got mine on ebay.

jimmyh 04-22-2011 05:13 PM

10 Attachment(s)
More

jimmyh 04-22-2011 05:16 PM

10 Attachment(s)
and more

jimmyh 04-22-2011 05:17 PM

7 Attachment(s)
and finally

jimmyh 04-22-2011 05:35 PM

Just a few thoughts:
  • It is not entirely necessary to remove the back seat bottom. You could just tuck the wires away as you see fit. It might not even be necessary to remove the sidewall carpet in the trunk. You could try tucking there too. I removed everything because I don't like loose wires. As should be evident by the thousands of zip-ties I used.
  • Ofer did a great job on the cable length. Whenever I install aftermarket stuff, it seems like the wires are either pulled to the max because there is not enough, or there is 20 feet of extra wire stuffed somewhere. Not the case with this install. Kudos Ofer.
  • ALWAYS bench test. I had a spare cig lighter power plug on hand, so I hooked the camera up to that, and plugged it into the mirror before I began doing ANYTHING else to verify the camera and lcd worked and that my wiring was correct. You don't know how much it sucks to get wires run and mounted, everything in place, then when you turn on your device, it doesn't work.
  • Having some trim removal tools is worth the price. They make it easy to pull trim pieces off without damaging them. They are great for prying stuff like door sills and door panels off.
  • Be careful around the airbag. I didn't have any problems here, but in some other cars I have worked on, simply removing the A-pillar finisher made the airbag service light come on.
  • The green wire on Ofer's custom harness goes to the red wire on the power harness he provided. The black wire goes to ground. I used a little black screw next to the driver's door fuse panel (fig 32).
  • I was concerned about routing the video cable along the battery cable (the big red cable in fig 24) and that it would cause artifacts or distortion in the signal. But it did not. Picture is clear.
I am painting the camera silver, to match my car. Tomorrow when it was dry, I will post pictures of it mounted.

ihaveacamaro 04-22-2011 05:43 PM

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

Because of your write-up (very detailed) I'm going to order the stuff to make this mod happen! Awesome!

austinjames 04-22-2011 05:48 PM

great job, very helpfull

jimmyh 04-22-2011 06:48 PM

Any questions ask away. I was afraid I went overboard with the pictures. It's really not as complicated as I made it look. This is a very simple install.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 04-22-2011 07:31 PM

Nice job, if it O.K. i will add your DIY to the sale thread.

larryt1026 04-22-2011 07:43 PM

how come this seems so complicated to me..

Sleez 04-22-2011 07:44 PM

great write up, thank you.

Jabs 04-22-2011 08:04 PM

How Much did all the parts cost you?

Great Write up BTW :D Thank you!

WCoolBreeze 04-22-2011 10:23 PM

Great Write Up. This Mod is on the list.

Walt B.

jimmyh 04-22-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 3129168)
Nice job, if it O.K. i will add your DIY to the sale thread.

be my guest, if it weren't for you, I probably wouldn't have done this mod.