Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hmm...higher octane? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6160)

Shadowsong 08-20-2008 04:14 PM

Hmm...higher octane?

So, I was thinking about this, if we reflashed the ecu to run on 93 octane... I wonder how much hp we would gain...?

Xanthos 08-21-2008 01:48 AM

I don't know. Maybe a bunch, maybe none at all. Not sure.
- Xanthos

headpunter 08-21-2008 01:50 AM

probably not that much only so much can be earned throught timing.and timings is all you gain with higher octane fuel

Mr. Wyndham 08-21-2008 11:49 AM

Apparently, the L76 in the G8 GT gains near 40hp when reflashed for premium...

I wonder what role the Direct Injection and VVT could play as far as timing and increased power output. The potential could be great.

The_Blur 08-21-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 116381)

I wonder what role the Direct Injection and VVT could play as far as timing and increased power output. The potential could be great.

That's a great thought! We need to test this out when HPTuners becomes available with a variety of octanes.

BowtieGuy 08-21-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

This is true, but it's also entirely possible that because of the actual function of VVT (adjust timing to avoid knock) and the complex algorithms in the ECM from the factory, this gain could be totally very small or totally negated.

Shadowsong 08-21-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

IF, and thats a big if, the LLT gains about the same, we could see 330hp at the wheels with just a tune, cai and exhaust :thumbup: Thats Pretty nice for a v6 with minor mods.

Xanthos 08-21-2008 02:06 PM

Its more horses than the challenger R/T has, and still lighter too. But would you really need to reflash for premium to gain that much? Maybe just a dyno tune in general would do the trick.
- Xanthos

The_Blur 08-21-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowsong (Post 116450)
IF, and thats a big if, the LLT gains about the same, we could see 330hp at the wheels with just a tune, cai and exhaust :thumbup: Thats Pretty nice for a v6 with minor mods.

In another spread, there was a post that suggested that we could see even more benefit than that without endangering the motor. :thumbup:

Shadowsong 08-21-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 116476)
In another spread, there was a post that suggested that we could see even more benefit than that without endangering the motor. :thumbup:

Got a link? I'd like to read into it

gunslinger 08-24-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowsong (Post 116450)

That 40 HP bump was on a V8, with two more cylinders realizing a power gain.

And 330HP at the wheels is close to 380HP at the crank, the same amount of HP the stock L76 (6.0L V8) makes.

Also, the power may be 330 HP at the wheels, but what is the average HP compared to an equivalent HP V8? Probably a lot less, with torque also being less.

I agree, the power gains for the V6 sound very impressive for a cheaper motor (than the V8), but I don't want people to think that their V6 will be a V8 beater...(well maybe a GT beater:thumbup: )

MerF 08-24-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 116472)
Its more horses than the challenger R/T has, and still lighter too. But would you really need to reflash for premium to gain that much? Maybe just a dyno tune in general would do the trick.
- Xanthos

Well, what exactly do you think you're tuning on the dyno? Yup, you're tuning the fuel map of ECU (aka-flashing)! So essentially you're referring to the exact same thing. :happyanim:

headpunter 08-24-2008 09:45 PM

the direct injection engine doesnt benefit allot from changing the octane because it injects the fuel directly into the cylinder right before the apex of the cylinder stroke so it. so there is no threat of detonation.

Vash 08-25-2008 12:11 AM

The engine control probably will be able to detect the octane level and make adjustments without programming anything. That's part of how high compression engines self tune to reduce knock.