Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Throttle lag (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324861)

AmericanMuscleCars 10-24-2013 08:43 PM

Throttle lag

Hey guys, I was cruising at like 45 and I buried the pedal. I heard the engine rev and a second later i took off like a shot, just a question. Why is there that second lag between burying the pedal and it being on the floor and the engine taking off. Is it just dropping or going up a gear before the take off? Thanks guys, appreciate it!

kk0239 10-24-2013 09:00 PM

im experiencing the same

JohnnyBfromPeoria 10-24-2013 09:05 PM

If it's an automatic (description: visually stunning doesn't really tell me much), then it is downshifting to a lower gear. If you were holding it in a certain gear, flooring it and feeling hesitation, my answer would be different in that it's a design thing that can be largely overcome with a VMax ported throttle body.

John B.

rydahog 10-24-2013 09:08 PM

CAI,ported throttle body, and Iceolator. (maybe for chitsngiggles if you have the dough, get mrtv2 axleback exh) and your good to go.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 10-24-2013 09:11 PM

BTW, no one has demonstrated a performance difference with an axle-back exhaust system, so it really is just for sound, and the aforementioned chitsngiggles.

And so far as I know, the Iceolator isn't made for a 2012+ model.

John B.

45thCamaro 10-24-2013 09:19 PM

Like the above poster wrote, I've heard the vmax ported throttle body helps. Not so much with power but response time. I too am looking into doing this.

AmericanMuscleCars 10-24-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria (Post 7124128)
If it's an automatic (description: visually stunning doesn't really tell me much), then it is downshifting to a lower gear. If you were holding it in a certain gear, flooring it and feeling hesitation, my answer would be different in that it's a design thing that can be largely overcome with a VMax ported throttle body.

John B.

Its an automatic, if I used the paddle shifters would it eliminate this?

KaBoom1701 10-24-2013 09:49 PM

I had this until I installed the following:

Vmax ported throttle
CAI cold air intake.

Problem solved. :)

JohnnyBfromPeoria 10-25-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars (Post 7124186)
Its an automatic, if I used the paddle shifters would it eliminate this?

Largely. But my notes above still apply. And you'd have to be in the right gear to stay in the power band. And the transmission still takes time to respond to your inputs, i.e., downshifting.

As stated above, the ported throttle body and a C.A.I brand (or pick one of your choosing) intake takes up a lot of slack in the compromised factory design. You give up the silencing features of the stock system for one oriented more towards performance.

John B.

BronxRS 10-25-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 7124283)
I had this until I installed the following:

Vmax ported throttle
CAI cold air intake.

Problem solved. :)

The CAI intake and VMax ported TB makes a difference. Probably not as dramatic as what some might expect, but it does smooth out response over more of the rpm range. Even with these bolt ons, I find there is still a bit of lag when dropping the accelerator or when in the 1500 rpm zone.

Truth be told, I experienced a more dramatic throttle response / better pick up when I changed my oem 20's with Michelin winters/18s. Reduce your unsprung weight - as dramatic as kicking a couple of buddies out of your back seat.