Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Oil change price? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214657)

Hlogan220 04-06-2012 12:33 PM

Oil change price?

This is my first oil change and i called for several retail oil change services to get a quote and Midas says 89.95, Oil Changers 40.35, firestone 79.95 and other smaller shops around 60 to 80...
I thought average oil change cost was about 20 to 30?

Where is a good reasonably priced oil changing service?

nyrfan 04-06-2012 12:35 PM

1st off you need 6 quarts. 2nd The 2012 come with a Synthetic blend, so they are either quoting you on that or full Synthetic. Tell them you want 6 of regular oil, it should be much less, although I would not put regular oil in these engines.

Plus whatever you use needs to be Dexos 1 approved to help maintain your cars warranty.

FYI - You can do it yourself for around $35 using Mobil 1 synthetic. Changing oil on the V6 is a peice of cake.

The SwiftChancelor 04-06-2012 12:36 PM

Not in these cars. They take a lot of premium oil if Im not mistaken. My dealership charges around $75.

upflying 04-06-2012 12:39 PM

You should consider DIY.

Jason@JacFab 04-06-2012 12:42 PM

The v6 engine oil capacity is 7.6 qts, be thankful you don't have the SS with an 8.9 wt oil capacity.

I find it's cheapest to supply your own oil as where that's where most of the mark up is, and you KNOW what youre getting. I buy my own oil, and my dealer charges me $15 for the filter, labor, and disposal of the old oil.

nyrfan 04-06-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 (Post 4766382)
The v6 engine oil capacity is 7.6 qts, be thankful you don't have the SS with an 8.9 wt oil capacity.

I find it's cheapest to supply your own oil as where that's where most of the mark up is, and you KNOW what youre getting. I buy my own oil, and my dealer charges me $15 for the filter, labor, and disposal of the old oil.

The V6 is 6 qts NOT 7.6 qts and the V8 is 8qts.

Here is some good info:

Engine- (GM recomends using synthetic engine oil)
LS3/L99: 8.0 qts........5W-30 Synthetic Oil(GM uses Mobil 1)
V6: 6.0 qts........5W-30 Synthetic Oil(GM uses Mobil 1)
^^Capacities are WITH replacement of oil filter
LS3/L99 Oil Filter: ACDelco PF48.........K&N HP-1017........Napa Gold 7060
V6: ACDelco PF2129............K&N HP-7003........Napa Gold 7090

Scalded Dog 04-06-2012 12:47 PM

Geez... dealer charged me $45+ tax for my oil change, and rotated the tires, checked other stuff/ fluids/ belts/ lights etc.

The DEALER.

A little off topic, BTW, but remember that ALL Jiffy Lube/ Midas/ Perp Boys are there to RIP YOU OFF. I've seen it many times personally, and there have been plenty of expose shows busting them out. And, many employees are quite frank about it: The price they charge for an oil change will not keep them in business. They MUST "find" other things to fix/ replace/ service on the majority of their vehicles. You can take a car in PERFECT condition, and they will "find" that your engine needs a complete flush (won't survive another 10 miles on just a weak- sauce oil change), your muffler bearings are bad, your flux capacitor needs a rebuild, your PIT valves need resizing, the seals in your cowfly need to be lubed... and you will ALWAYS need new wiper blades and an air filter. They do not like anybody to come in for the oil change, and just get the oil changed. They don't make money then... I could wax philosophical on this topic for hours on end... just remember, they are NOT there because they CARE about you, your family, your puppies and your kids... they are in business to "find" things to repair so that they will make a huge profit.

Just keep that in mind, and never, ever, agree to any of their suggested extra jobs. Ever. No, seriously... NEVER.

nyrfan 04-06-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scalded Dog (Post 4766406)
Geez... dealer charged me $45+ tax for my oil change, and rotated the tires, checked other stuff/ fluids/ belts/ lights etc.

The DEALER.

A little off topic, BTW, but remember that ALL Jiffy Lube/ Midas/ Perp Boys are there to RIP YOU OFF. I've seen it many times personally, and there have been plenty of expose shows busting them out. And, many employees are quite frank about it: The price they charge for an oil change will not keep them in business. They MUST "find" other things to fix/ replace/ service on the majority of their vehicles. You can take a car in PERFECT condition, and they will "find" that your engine needs a complete flush (won't survive another 10 miles on just a weak- sauce oil change), your muffler bearings are bad, your flux capacitor needs a rebuild, your PIT valves need resizing, the seals in your cowfly need to be lubed... and you will ALWAYS need new wiper blades and an air filter. They do not like anybody to come in for the oil change, and just get the oil changed. They don't make money then... I could wax philosophical on this topic for hours on end... just remember, they are NOT there because they CARE about you, your family, your puppies and your kids... they are in business to "find" things to repair so that they will make a huge profit.

Just keep that in mind, and never, ever, agree to any of their suggested extra jobs. Ever. No, seriously... NEVER.

And they gave you conventional oil, I could get that for $24.95 at a local shop so you actually got ripped off.

pincoin 04-06-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scalded Dog (Post 4766406)

The DEALER.

Very well said, they will jab your eyes out if they can. Just like Firestone does.

monstertodd 04-06-2012 12:50 PM

Yea, my dealer charges me around $90 for an oil change. BUT they hooked me up with this program where I paid $200 and got 6 oil changes.

hawk02 04-06-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hlogan220 (Post 4766342)
This is my first oil change and i called for several retail oil change services to get a quote and Midas says 89.95, Oil Changers 40.35, firestone 79.95 and other smaller shops around 60 to 80...
I thought average oil change cost was about 20 to 30?

Where is a good reasonably priced oil changing service?

Just got my oil changed at the dealer yesterday. 6 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic, an oil filter and chasis lube for $64. The reason I used the dealer is they offer a 100K mile warranty on the drivetrain if all oil changes are done by them.

Scalded Dog 04-06-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pincoin (Post 4766423)
Very well said, they will jab your eyes out if they can. Just like Firestone does.

Yep... Firestone, Goodyear, Quickie Lube too. Any and all chains like that with "great" oil change specials... no money in the oil change, just in "finding" serious (watch the guy when he tells you what they luckily found, and just in time... he will look like he's just come back from his Dad's funeral, where Mom croaked on site... very somber, serious, and OH SO CONCERNED... concerned for the safety of you and your family...) problems with your car... and they can fix them RIGHT NOW, for only a couple hundred bucks.

nyrfan 04-06-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk02 (Post 4766427)
Just got my oil changed at the dealer yesterday. 6 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic, an oil filter and chasis lube for $64. The reason I used the dealer is they offer a 100K mile warranty on the drivetrain if all oil changes are done by them.

Call me confused, our cars already come with a 100K powertrain warranty, wouldn't that include the drivetrain? I think he scammed you!

Scalded Dog 04-06-2012 12:57 PM

I go to the dealer, too, partly because if/ when warranty issues come up, I've got records and a paper trail that will prove that I have been religious about maintenance and keeping a close eye on all systems. No warranty rejection can be based on "the fella who did your oil changes screwed up..." because, it's the Chevy guy who does those...