Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   First Scratch... Need advice (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45674)

chevyridinghigh 10-03-2009 04:26 PM

First Scratch... Need advice

2 Attachment(s)
I was out buying high temperature paint for the mufflers when I backed into a guy conveniently parked behind me. The scratch is minor but I want to touch it up. Does each car have a specific paint number, and if so where can i find that number? Also, where do you guys recommend buying it? I figure a Chevy dealer but maybe others have suggestions. Also, I was going to touch it up with the back of a carboard match stick, any other methods people use? Thanks....

WhiteCrane 10-03-2009 04:28 PM

Get the $6.00 thing of enamel touch-up paint from your dealer. It's a perfect color match. Its the same GM paint you already have!

Twilborne 10-03-2009 04:34 PM

I swiped my wifes car and I took it back to the dealers body shop. They painted the bumber for 167.00. Paint is perfict, let the pros paint it.

daphatgrant 10-03-2009 04:37 PM

That sucks :(, do you know any good autobody shops?

chevyridinghigh 10-03-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphatgrant (Post 1000824)
That sucks :(, do you know any good autobody shops?

I think it's a do-it-yourselfer... I'd rather wait for a few more before i a do a bumper repaint.

97one 10-03-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyridinghigh (Post 1000881)
I think it's a do-it-yo urselfer... I'd rather wait for a few more before i a do a bumper repaint.

I agree 100%........:thumbsup:

It looks like it's just that one black spot. It will not be to noticeable because it is on the edge.
Some of the touch-up's don't come with a brush, they come with a felt type tip which would be better for your scratch.
You would be cazy to have the bumper painted for that !
Most of the time the bumpers don't match 100%

:chevy:

HeatherR 10-03-2009 06:09 PM

Pick up the little bottle of paint from the dealer. You'll use it more than this one time most likely. I agree, I would hold off on a complete repaint. Use a really small brush and fill in the scratch...don't use too much paint.

SRVFAN 10-03-2009 06:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyridinghigh (Post 1000765)
I was out buying high temperature paint for the mufflers when I backed into a guy conveniently parked behind me. The scratch is minor but I want to touch it up. Does each car have a specific paint number, and if so where can i find that number? Also, where do you guys recommend buying it? I figure a Chevy dealer but maybe others have suggestions. Also, I was going to touch it up with the back of a carboard match stick, any other methods people use? Thanks....

Yes, you have a specific paint color number & (most probably) the only place you can get it is at a GM dealership right now. The touch-up paint comes with it's on little brush for easy application.

Mine is goin' into the shop next week ... she got a paint chip knocked out of her roof the other day goin' down the highway... knocked the paint off, all the way to the metal...no dent tho! Whew!

9c1ny 10-03-2009 06:40 PM

I paid $12 for Rally yellow touch up from my dealer

mfr1950 10-03-2009 06:43 PM

Get the correct touch up paint from your dealer, The touch up paint from other places
sometimes isn't a perfect match, A bottle is less that $10 last time I bought any..

P. Ham 10-03-2009 06:47 PM

Does anyone have pics after a small touch up? I'm curious if you can see a difference from the original paint/clear coat.

2cnd chance 10-03-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyridinghigh (Post 1000765)

is the paint really gone or just marred. If marred try a mildly abrasive wax.

Batmaro 10-03-2009 07:02 PM

I had the shop save some paint they used when they painted my ground effects. Matches perfectly. If anyone is getting ground effects painted to match their car, the paint shop will usually give you some at no extra charge if you ask for it.

chevyridinghigh 10-03-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 1001235)
is the paint really gone or just marred. If marred try a mildly abrasive wax.

It was scratched right down to the plastic, but the plastic wasn't scratched... only the the paint was peeled off. I'll post pics after I buy the paint this week for anyone interested in stuff like this...