Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - California (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   California, What can we do that's actually legal (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78617)

Maurdib 04-20-2010 12:14 PM

California, What can we do that's actually legal

Everytime I here of something cool to do to get some better performance I keep getting hit by California only laws. We can we actually do in this state to upgrade our cars?

brandotron 04-20-2010 12:17 PM

Cams, heads, shorty headers, catback exhaust, bore/stroke, supercharger...there's a lot we can do.

t_long927 04-20-2010 12:31 PM

I have been in the automotive industry all of my life. Even worked at a smog station. You can really do anything you want. The state does require a C.A.R.B. EO # ( executive number ) stating that the B.A.R. has inspected the device and it will not effect the emisions output of that vehicle/motor. Now the difference in price between a "CARB" legal and illegal product is huge. For instance say you want a maggie and the whole kit is 5 grand. Well it may be as much as 7-8 grand for a legal maggie. Stick with you Bigger brands like edlebrock, Crank, etc. If you have anymore questions you can go on the BAR.ca.gov website and check out if a part is legal on your car or not. Also remember you do not have to smog your car for another 4-5 years. So whatever you do will not be seen until that smog is needed. OR a dick cop pops your hood. But they do not always know what to look for. Hell for all they know that beautiful chrom Maggie was stock on a 2010 Camaro SS :sm0: :sm0: :sm0: :sm0:
But rest asure I have been in your shoes and I do think some of these "LAWS" are a bit on the BS side.- Long Live the CAMARO :headbang:

SDCamaro10 04-20-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_long927 (Post 1744093)
I have been in the automotive industry all of my life. Even worked at a smog station. You can really do anything you want. The state does require a C.A.R.B. EO # ( executive number ) stating that the B.A.R. has inspected the device and it will not effect the emisions output of that vehicle/motor. Now the difference in price between a "CARB" legal and illegal product is huge. For instance say you want a maggie and the whole kit is 5 grand. Well it may be as much as 7-8 grand for a legal maggie. Stick with you Bigger brands like edlebrock, Crank, etc. If you have anymore questions you can go on the BAR.ca.gov website and check out if a part is legal on your car or not. Also remember you do not have to smog your car for another 4-5 years. So whatever you do will not be seen until that smog is needed. OR a dick cop pops your hood. But they do not always know what to look for. Hell for all they know that beautiful chrom Maggie was stock on a 2010 Camaro SS :sm0: :sm0: :sm0: :sm0:
But rest asure I have been in your shoes and I do think some of these "LAWS" are a bit on the BS side.- Long Live the CAMARO :headbang:

Correct. there are a ton of things we can do, but be damn sure you have the CARB numbers. Without them, your car can be impounded and you can be ticketed.

Michael_Js 04-20-2010 01:01 PM

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

;)

motorhead 04-20-2010 01:09 PM

I heard that they even tax farmers for cows farting. Is that true?:laugh:

Maurdib 04-20-2010 01:11 PM

Thanks my Cali brotheren, I was getting worried, and was just going to consetrate on making it look fast vs actually being fast

ffrcobra_65 04-20-2010 04:06 PM

You live in KALIFORNIA. Enjoy the year round driving season, stop complaining and just keep paying your taxes. Where do you think you are, Wisconsin? ;) You are lucky you don't get a ticket for posting such stuff. ;)

H3LLJumper 04-21-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 (Post 1745116)
You live in KALIFORNIA. Enjoy the year round driving season, stop complaining and just keep paying your taxes. Where do you think you are, Wisconsin? ;) You are lucky you don't get a ticket for posting such stuff. ;)

fail

SDCamaro10 04-21-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

I fail to understand the relevance?

Michael_Js 04-21-2010 10:51 AM

Does anyone know if the ADM Street CAI is CARB approved? I sent a PM to Andy yesterday and also searched the ARB database (not there). No sticker on it either - that I am aware of ;(

Oh, and living in CA doesn't waive the right to mods...other than CARB - meaning, too bad because it's beautiful most of the time here. And YOU even are in CA!! What's up with that??

brandotron 04-21-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

loopback 04-21-2010 03:16 PM

What about a list of whats the most we could do for both Legal AND keep the warranty?
Shorties, CatBack...

Maurdib 04-21-2010 03:37 PM

I was thinking intially of CAI, LT Headers(OUT), Highflow Cat(Most likely OUT), and a Catback. With a tune I figured I'd be good