Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cam'ed LS owners- Help with Quiet Exhaust search (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264054)

was619 12-04-2012 03:05 AM

Cam'ed LS owners- Help with Quiet Exhaust search

Hey All,

I have OBX LT and HF cats, with the Stainless Works Retro Chambered 3 inch catback (factory size hook up)
I have a good bit of drone at highway speeds and have been looking at other options to lower the volume out back before doing a cam instal this spring.

So any suggestions from those of you that have heads/cams ect (pushing more air through) would be greatly appreciated on what would be a better/quieter option.
I have been considering borla, corsa ect.... but it seems that many of these get much much louder after the addition of a cam.:thumbup: maybe dynomax...?

Thank you in advance!:thumbsup:

also lets try to avoid the "louder the better" type comments please :facepalm:

IPT 12-04-2012 03:25 AM

I have no real world experience. However, both my last camaros were loud and I am not looking to do that again. This time around when I put the headers on I plan on going with the Magnaflow Street system. I've read it's a bit tame but wakes up nicely with headers. I would imagine with a cam too it'd sound mean, but not overhwelming.

Russell James 12-04-2012 08:45 AM

Factory LS3 catback, paint the cans black. Or, Magnaflow street.

Corsa or the factory system won't drone, but the Corsa is loud.

The 2010 Sin 12-04-2012 08:54 AM

I'm honestly trying to find those answers also. The magnaflow street quiets it down but still drones pretty bad on highway and sounds like a poppy glasspack under WOT.. I hated it and went back to my louder system until I found an answer. I wonder if anyone has good video of what the factory catback sounds like with an H/C setup.. Id be interested in putting mine back together ( i had originally done a muffler delete.) add some bigger tips paint the cans black and go from there.

DarkCry956 12-04-2012 08:58 AM

My Corsa is quiet at idle and cruising speeds with no drone but LOUD at WOT.

BigMatt 12-04-2012 09:43 AM

Corsa!

VADER SS L99 12-04-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin (Post 5877514)
I'm honestly trying to find those answers also. The magnaflow street quiets it down but still drones pretty bad on highway and sounds like a poppy glasspack under WOT.. I hated it and went back to my louder system until I found an answer. I wonder if anyone has good video of what the factory catback sounds like with an H/C setup.. Id be interested in putting mine back together ( i had originally done a muffler delete.) add some bigger tips paint the cans black and go from there.

My Magnaflow street does not do this at all. Are you sure you had the 3 muffler system?

VADER SS L99 12-04-2012 10:11 AM

To the OP. I have LT's with cats, cam/heads, and the Magnaflow street and it is very quiet considering the mods. My car gets mistaken for a stock SS all the time and I love it that way. Sounds like a stock car with a mild axle back at idle. Turns into a complete beast under WOT. The combo should be sold together and named Jeckle and Hyde. It has slight drone at highway cruising but you have to turn the radio all the way off to hear it and it didnt do that until after the cam. You cant use the stock catback because the cam will destroy it. Only other catback that I can think of that you might look into is the Dynomax VT but I always worried about the valves not working. Corsa is not going to drone but it will be loud. Even the L99 Corsa system will be louder than the Magnaflow street. I honestly cant think of a quieter system.

TRIPWIRE 12-04-2012 11:47 AM

i have corsa with lts cats and a cam and its loud as **** i wouldnt recommend it if your looking for quiet

SPCBA 12-04-2012 11:54 AM

Being loud and having drone are two different things to tackle. A J-pipe can kill your drone. Only a quieter exhaust can change the volume. A quieter exhaust does not exactly transfer to no drone.

Birm 12-04-2012 12:02 PM

Go back to a 2.5" exhaust or get the Dynomax VT! I had it with my LTs and Cammed car and it was too quiet for me, here is an idle video:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221083

TXM62SS 12-04-2012 12:50 PM

Borla Touring is pretty tame at idle. I currently have it with LTs and Cats. Will be doing a cam swap in March.

The 2010 Sin 12-05-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 (Post 5877739)
My Magnaflow street does not do this at all. Are you sure you had the 3 muffler system?

Yes I've owned the Magnaflow street 3 muffler catback and the competition one center muffler catback. as well as the Flowmaster American Thunder catback which I currently have on the vehicle until I get something else.

The 2010 Sin 12-05-2012 06:57 PM

I think I'm going to try and twist my local ZL1 guys arms for their factory catback when they upgrade and go to a quad tip setup