Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Tire Brands (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325680)

13ZL1BLove 10-30-2013 05:58 AM

Tire Brands

Does anyone use anything other G1 Supercar tires or the Michelin Pilot Sports? I hate the michelins and the goodyears suck at cool temperatures. Does anyone else know or use a different tire brand that is spec to our stock size?

Bigtime53 10-30-2013 06:19 AM

Why do you not like the michelins? I put them on my car and so far they are great. I did read somewhere on this site someone put on a different brand but cannot remember which kind. Go to the tire/wheel section and do a search there.

Mutant Racer 10-30-2013 06:42 AM

I've seen plenty of Nitto's on ZL1's lately. NT05 and NT555R street and track. I thought those guys were nuts for running those on the street full time but they had no complaints.

Thepunkinator 10-30-2013 06:46 AM

I've got a set of Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's on the way for the winter (don't get a lot of snow or ice) and will stick with the Goodyears in the summer until they wear out.

Fast92RS 10-30-2013 08:42 AM

The tire rack shows a set of Pirelli P Zero tires in the ZL1 original sizes. They have a slightly better consumer rating than the F1's but also are almost $500 more for a full set than the F1's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=60150&tab=All

13ZL1BLove 10-30-2013 09:14 AM

I live in Chicago and my car sat outside one night and it got down to around 40 degrees over night, but when I left work at 730am it was mid 50's. However when I got home I noticed that my left front tire had a crack in the sidewall. So I called my dealer and they got me a new tire, but the car is going away for winter so I ended up not picking up the tire. My tire guy that I use said that the g1's suck unless it's really hot out. The michelins from experience by having them on a cobalt ss were to noisy and loud and I hated the way the felt while driving (just not a fan). I've been looking at Bridgestone RE050's for my car, they have a slightly better tread life, but supposedly there even harder and more race like then the g1's that came stock. The car will always be parked from October to March/April so. Never really looked at nittos, I hear there really loud though. I'd rather he that sexy 6.2 supercharged engine then tires.

JackalopeZL1 10-30-2013 09:22 AM

I just put pilot super sports on my zl1.. they were smoother feeling, had less noise, balanced with less weight, and handled better. Everybody likes something different I guess but I have by far found michilens to be a superior tire for the last how ever many years of buying tires.. good luck finding what you are looking for :)

fwiw the goodyears had only 800 miles for comparison

rvnmaniac 10-30-2013 09:26 AM

Last Friday i had the Continental Extremes DWS, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 mounted. Right now i have less then a 100 miles on them. This morning the temp was 43. Pulling away from home at a spot where the Goodyears would have definitely spun because of the temperature the Contis were solid. Gonna love these tires in the cold temps compared to the summer only tires.

13ZL1BLove 10-30-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvnmaniac (Post 7140702)
Last Friday i had the Continental Extremes DWS, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 mounted. Right now i have less then a 100 miles on them. This morning the temp was 43. Pulling away from home at a spot where the Goodyears would have definitely spun because of the temperature the Contis were solid. Gonna love these tires in the cold temps compared to the summer only tires.

Why tire size change in the front from stock. Also do you have any clearance or rubbing issues going from a 305 to a 315

rvnmaniac 10-30-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13ZL1BLove (Post 7140711)
Why tire size change in the front from stock. Also do you have any clearance or rubbing issues going from a 305 to a 315

The Contis do not come in stock size for the zl1 but others have also purchsed in these sizes. I think with the Michelins also but someone will correct ME if i'm wrong on the Michelins.
There are no issues with these tire sizes at all.

hognutz 10-30-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13ZL1BLove (Post 7140296)
Does anyone use anything other G1 Supercar tires or the Michelin Pilot Sports? I hate the michelins and the goodyears suck at cool temperatures. Does anyone else know or use a different tire brand that is spec to our stock size?

I think the tires to have right now are the pilot SUPER sports. Unless you have owned that specific tire and hate it. I dove my friends Z06 with them an liked them better than any good year offering.

good forward grip, good handling, quiter

I ran nitto NT05's on my z06 but they won't run out as long as the super sports most likely.

it depends on how hard you corner the car. if you don't mind taking a bit of a hit in the handling department there are quite a few different brands you can run. I won't consider the goodyears again just becasue of the low temp grip. it is just stupid.

SlingShot 10-30-2013 11:54 AM

I put on Invo's a few weeks a go. Went with 295/35 & 315/35 and have no issues or complaints as of yet. Being new still, there is plenty of grip and a lot less road noise than the GY's. We haven't had rain in about a month, so can't say much about wet traction and our temp are still high 80's.

Blown355 10-30-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant Racer (Post 7140341)
I've seen plenty of Nitto's on ZL1's lately. NT05 and NT555R street and track. I thought those guys were nuts for running those on the street full time but they had no complaints.

I run MT ET Streets on my car full time. I have just over 2000 miles on them. Only one complaint. They do not like the rain. :)

pumpkinrancho 10-30-2013 06:12 PM

I have the Nitto NT555s on my c5 corvette, they are a ton better than the F1 SUPER CAR gen 1s that were on it. I think I am going with Pilot Super sports on the ZL1