Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   2014 1Le Supercharged (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437724)

Jmh_0711 01-25-2016 12:24 AM

2014 1Le Supercharged

Hello fellow camaro owners,
In about 2 weeks, installation of a 2.9l Whipple Supercharger begins. At the moment I am sitting at around 425rwhp after long tubes and a tune. My goal is to stay around 600rwhp atleast until I upgrade to better pistons and rods. I have done research, but am yet to see another 2014 1Le or even ss for that matter, with a 2.9 Whipple. What are your thoughts? Any piston/rod suggestions? What should be next on the list? I will post dyno sheets in a few weeks, stay tuned!

Mark T 01-25-2016 01:02 AM

Dyno sheets, pfft.

Post an exaust note video that will whet my whistle.

Jmh_0711 01-25-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T (Post 8861897)
Dyno sheets, pfft.

Post an exaust note video that will whet my whistle.

Will do! :p

ilir14 01-25-2016 10:56 AM

I did i lot of research before i did mine and i decided to go with Adm Lsa conversion. So i did LSA conversion on my car and very happy ever since, this 1.9L supercharges makes a ton of power, will definitely reach your goal and save a thousands of dollars,

Olddudesrule 01-25-2016 09:22 PM

I see and read about plenty of SS's going FI, but I think you see less 1LE's going that route because many of us buy them specifically for their handling, and are a little worried about upsetting the balance of the car by adding the weight of a supercharger to the front end. Also, I believe N/A (Cam, heads, LTH, etc) is the preferred route for added HP when if you're gonna track a car, and maintain the greatest reliability. I'm sure the ZL1 guys/gals will most likely not agree, but that's my .02....

Best of luck with your build...

Camaro Dude 01-25-2016 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olddudesrule (Post 8863756)
I see and read about plenty of SS's going FI, but I think you see less 1LE's going that route because many of us buy them specifically for their handling, and are a little worried about upsetting the balance of the car by adding the weight of a supercharger to the front end. Also, I believe N/A (Cam, heads, LTH, etc) is the preferred route for added HP when if you're gonna track a car, and maintain the greatest reliability. I'm sure the ZL1 guys/gals will most likely not agree, but that's my .02....

Yup, it's the 1LE weight and balance thing, and perhaps even more unsettling, is the heat soak the real track road course junkies will surely endure, during their midsummer multiple non-stop romps with a SC up front.

Twin Turbos are not so much the CG (centre of gravity) deal as a SC, since they may installed below the engine and near/under the firewall. As for heat soak with a AGP TT Kit on a LS3, and say a non-stop 30 min romp, around a track, with 88F ambient temps, someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Jmh_0711 01-30-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro Dude (Post 8863816)
Yup, it's the 1LE weight and balance thing, and perhaps even more unsettling, is the heat soak the real track road course junkies will surely endure, during their midsummer multiple non-stop romps with a SC up front.

Twin Turbos are not so much the CG (centre of gravity) deal as a SC, since they may installed below the engine and near/under the firewall. As for heat soak with a AGP TT Kit on a LS3, and say a non-stop 30 min romp, around a track, with 88F ambient temps, someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Thats the thing, I havent even taken it to the track yet. My main interest is street racing, well "why buy a track purposed car?" you may ask, well have you seen the thing? :p Also the cornering on this vehicle is too flawless to pass up. Will the added engine weight really throw the handling off that much? Thanks for the help!

GONIF 01-30-2016 03:36 PM

As long as it is a street car a SC wont be a heat soak problem in you neck of the woods, and the weight of the Maggie is only 67 lbs and the Maggie wont give you a heat soak problem on the streets .
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...13034660,d.cGc

Kendall421 01-31-2016 11:10 AM

Will be interested to hear how it comes out for you. Should be pretty nice!

I was at a car show at Lingenfelter last year and asked about putting a super charger on my 1LE. Jay told me that on a car like mine, I would get the most bang for my buck going with cam and heads. Add's no weight, best off the line power gain, and no issues with adding heat to the motor.

While I agree with that...someday I can see my car having cam, heads AND a Maggie on it! :o)

I am at 415 RWHP with CAI, Bo White PTB, AFR Shorty headers, and HF cats. Putting Pfadt Tri-Y on in March and getting dyno tune. Hoping to pull 430 at least.

I agree these are meant to track, bla bla bla. But, I would bet that of the 2500ish 1LE cars sold in 2014, less than 10% (250) have actually been tracked. Most of us just wanted the bad ass upgrade to the SS for the looks, handling, and gearing. At least that was my purpose. Although I did one Autocross so far and plan to do more of it...but just for fun at Camaro events.

L99CAMA2011 01-31-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olddudesrule (Post 8863756)

Reliability would be a blower not heads and a cam putting more stress on the valve train.

Camaro Dude 01-31-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 (Post 8873916)
Reliability would be a blower not heads and a cam putting more stress on the valve train.

Not on a road course. I think olddudesrule statement revolved around specifically on road course track as well, and not a "street car".

The overheating issues are well documented by the track junkies in the road course tracking section. The SC applications simply drop off in HP as the laps pile on on a hot summery day.

The stress on the valve-train thing is overblown as well, thanks to guys who succumb to the natural tendency to over-cam their application ;).

As an example, saying that a drop-in cam like a tiny gm hot cam, is stress on the valve train? I mean, c'mon now?! lol

Kendall421 01-31-2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 (Post 8873916)

Obviously if you put a big cam in and new heads...you are going to put in a much upgraded valve train. You would not want to run factory valve train with a bigger cam. I know some do, but those are the guys that have problems down the road. If you buy a good valve train, the cam/heads upgrade is every bit as reliable if not more reliable than the blower. The lower end becomes the weak point. We used to run 670 lift roller cams in our race motors along with 13.6:1 compression. Turned a 421 CID Chevy at 7800 to 8000 RPM's lap after lap and stuff didn't break. You won't put a cam that big in an LS3 nor would you turn it that hard. So an upgraded valve train would hold up for years.

Glushenij 01-31-2016 11:59 PM

What are u doing for clutch?(600whp=clutch don't last to long specially if you race-street race)

BlueN20Camaro 02-01-2016 11:25 AM

I don't care about the "balance" once I get the funds needed I rather have 600RWHP than to be worried about a bit of weight up front .