Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guidance on Career Options? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445297)

Clammy Clemens 03-21-2016 11:50 PM

Guidance on Career Options?

Hello all,

First off, let me say that I am a 19 year old Camaro "owner" (as in my parents helped me buy this car as a gift for college), anyways, is there anyone on this forum who has experience in working for GM or other major car brands? I've been wanting to go into the field ever since I've fallen in love with my car but I don't know where to start or even what classes to take in college. I'm currently majoring in Hospitality but don't know where to go for working in the field of automobiles...

Didn't know if this is the appropriate place to ask, but I thought someone on here would know a thing or two.

omgitsmiketuck 03-21-2016 11:51 PM

http://www.uti.edu/forms/form9?&mkwi...bile-ws00ByLa#

two_wheel_mayhem 03-21-2016 11:52 PM

Engineering or management. Anything else is a dead end job.

Clammy Clemens 03-21-2016 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem (Post 8982711)
Engineering or management. Anything else is a dead end job.

Yeah I was looking into the management side of things, I just didn't know if there was a specific class or course I needed to take.

two_wheel_mayhem 03-22-2016 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clammy Clemens (Post 8982717)
Yeah I was looking into the management side of things, I just didn't know if there was a specific class or course I needed to take.

Then get a business degree. You still have to start at the bottom wherever you go.

I do believe the job is more fun if you work in the aftermarket or racing industry, but climbing the GM corporate ladder could provide security.

The future may find you managing an Autozone though, remember when times get tough middle management always gets cut first.

CamaroDreams76 03-22-2016 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem (Post 8982732)
Then get a business degree. You still have to start at the bottom wherever you go.

I do believe the job is more fun if you work in the aftermarket or racing industry, but climbing the GM corporate ladder could provide security.

The future may find you managing an Autozone though, remember when times get tough middle management always gets cut first.

This is pretty accurate.

The first two years of college is all gen ed. courses, so you have some time to think about your major. Business is a good, safe major to go with. As for working on cars, aftermarket, in my book is always going to be more fun than doing repair work and oil changes.

A job I can recommend is Law Enforcement. Yes it is dangerous but its also very rewarding and very fun at times. You have room to move, good benefits and you learn something new every single day. Since you are 19 you more than likely can start in corrections, and gain a lot of experience that will help you if you decide to go on the road.

Good Luck

Bulldog3071 03-22-2016 03:27 AM

Engineering, you will make boat loads of money compared to your peers, the amount of money that you make over your career will will be well worth the money you spend on your degree. I have to laugh at folks that go to college and get a degree that has no earning potential that cost them a fortune in college loans and then complain about the money they make

Stroke9 03-22-2016 04:40 AM

Get your Air frame and Power plant license. It's building and assembling Jet engines.

GE and Rolls-Royce both need assemblers, engine testers and inspecting/repairing. Military contracts keep them both booming.

It takes 2 years of school (full time) to get FAA certified. You can just about walk into anywhere that deals with jet engines and get a job/career.

I myself, don't have either license's because I'm planning on retiring at 55 (8 years from now) because of my "years of service " within the company previously.

Average Base pay is around $80K, and with overtime $100-120K per year.

Even the facility workers start out at $62K per year.

It's not working with cars... but believe me Jet engines are fascinating as hell.

DRKS1D3 03-22-2016 06:02 AM

In college, you are assigned an Advisor. Speak with them regularly. Inform them of your goals/career desires and they will assure you are placed into the appropriate courses. Typically, your first two years you'll take core courses, then going into your Junior and Senior years is when you'll get into more career specific classes. Good luck! BTW, Majoring in Hospitality? What the Hell kind of worthless degree is this? Probably something along the same lines as having a Bachelor's Degree in File Cabinet Organization. :facepalm:

ZED SLED 03-22-2016 06:24 AM

This was formerly General Motors Institute of Technology. During my time in the industry, some of the best automotive engineers I worked with went to that school. U of M engineers not so much, but they sure were proud of their class rings.
https://www.kettering.edu/

pyroguy 03-22-2016 06:47 AM

I went to school at a school that was almost exclusively engineering degrees. Not bragging, but the engineers that came out of that school are very high quality engineers. GM recognized that and had a GM day on campus every fall. They would bring new near production vehicles and specialty vehicles along with many of the engineers who designed them. One year they brought their Hot Rod Test Car, a cammed LS7 powered Pontiac Solstice coupe. Another year when it was about to come out they brought a ZR1 along with the guy who designed the engine (it was his company vehicle). Over the years when the vehicles were about to be brought out or right after they brought out the vehicles they brought a Cadillac XLR, Chevrolet SSR, Pontiac GTO, Hummer H2, and many other variety of vehicles.

I say all of that to say this, get a degree that is a special degree. One that not every person gets like psychology, liberal arts, and not something stupid like a degree in German polka band history. Companies like that, where you actually get your hands dirty are looking for engineers. Mechanical, electrical, civil, metallurgical, computer, and similar engineering disciplines. One of my teacher's assistants from school was one of the primary engineers behind the Volt (if that's a bragging accomplishment :lol:). The guy who I mentioned was the guy who designed the ZR1's engine was a graduate of my alma mater. Engineering gets "the good jobs".

www.mst.edu is the link for my alma mater.

hazy 03-22-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgitsmiketuck (Post 8982709)

I would recommend SAM before UTI. It's definitely going to be more expensive, but if you do well, you are essentially guaranteed a job in the industry upon graduation.

OP - you should figure out what side of the business you want to be involved in. If you want to be in the design/engineering side, you should most definitely look into getting an Engineering degree. If you are more interested in the management side, look into the business school.

Whatever you do, as a (semi) recent college grad (~6 years ago) I would STRONGLY encourage you to obtain a degree that will have use in other fields. Engineering is an incredibly versatile field. Many different types of engineers, but with the right degree- something like Mechanical Engineering, you are not limited to one industry. This will provide some flexibility.

Same can be said for a business degree. Don't go get a management degree. Get an accounting or finance degree (I must say I am preferential to Finance, seeing as how that is what my degree is in) Finance/accounting is needed in every industry, no matter what they do. Yeah, the work isn't glamorous, but you're flexible enough to hop into another industry if you so choose...not to mention the knowledge it provides you that can help you in your personal life (investments/trading, anyone?!)

Either way, you're in the early stages of this decision. It's great that you're taking a serious approach and looking at your end goals now. Set a target, and shoot for it. Your path may change, as your desires in life surely will, however as long as you're constantly working towards whatever goals you have in mind, you'll find the work much more satisfying than if you were just floundering and going to college just because "it's what you're supposed to do"

Oh, and one final tidbit - pay for college with as few loans as you can. File your FAFSA as early as you're able - grants and scholarships are generally handed out on a first-come, first-served basis. Work your ass off and pay cash if you can for tuition. I shell out ~$750/month for my loans. Think about the car that can buy you when you graduate....not to mention that employers LOVE a fresh college grad that had the wherewithal not to party their asses off and was focused on accomplishing the task at hand. Not to say don't party, but be smart about it.

Good luck!!

pyroguy 03-22-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazy (Post 8982904)
Oh, and one final tidbit - pay for college with as few loans as you can. File your FAFSA as early as you're able - grants and scholarships are generally handed out on a first-come, first-served basis. Work your ass off and pay cash if you can for tuition. I shell out ~$750/month for my loans. Think about the car that can buy you when you graduate

AWESOME advice!!!! If I had it to do over, I would have worked A LOT more. My real wake up call as to how bad student loans were was one year alone my wife and I paid over $7,500 in interest alone for our loans in only one year! That was after having paid off almost half of the balance. Get grants and scholarships but stay clear of loans. Had I not had loans I'd be driving a ZL1 instead of a SS (not that I don't love my SS but I need more power!). Work hard for a few years, bust your butt to where you think you can't take it anymore and when you get out you'll be set up to soar.

JD555 03-22-2016 07:39 AM

As stated above a Airframe and power plant license. I have working in commercial aviation for 30 years and we don't start as high as stated above its becoming harder and harder to get good people that can troubleshoot. Most people these days don't understand electronics. If you get your A&P and do some avionics training you can pick the place you want to go. Its a hell of a career.