Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   USB Port (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23597)

Camaro's from Dave 05-20-2009 01:30 PM

USB Port

Full Disclosure (I am not ordering a Camaro for myself but seeing as I sell them I would like to know all I can about them)

So I was in our 2LT RS Static unit today to play with the USB port. I brought along my 3rd gen 40 GB Ipod (hardrive based) and my 4GB Sandisk Sansa E260 (flash memory based)
When I pluged in my Ipod it took 15-20 secs to get setup and ready to roll. However My Sansa indexed for 10 mins and still wasn't ready to go. I tried it 3 times and still no luck.
Does anyone have any insight into this as to what I am doing wrong? I even looked in the Manual to be sure I wasn't missing the idiot switch haha
Any thoughts?

theholycow 05-20-2009 01:37 PM

The stereo uses the iPod's built-in index and other abilities because GM licensed the technology from Apple. For non-iPod products, the stereo accesses the unit as a standard USB Mass Storage Device, so the Sansa gets treated the same as a portable hard drive, flash drive, or SD card reader; the stereo must index all the music on it.

Other people report that it plays while it's indexing.

Camaro's from Dave 05-20-2009 02:29 PM

Mine would never play while indexing anytime I touched a button on the head unit it told the that "the operation is not available while indexing" Maybe I need to go back and play some more with it.

codeman71 05-21-2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro's from Dave (Post 504467)
Mine would never play while indexing anytime I touched a button on the head unit it told the that "the operation is not available while indexing" Maybe I need to go back and play some more with it.

Hi Dave. PlaysForSure devices like your Sansa can be a bit finnicky. Not all players support the ability to play their music over the USB connection. It could be a setting on your device that is not set right for the vehicle to index your player correctly.

When you plugged in the Sansa, what icon and name showed up on the left side of the screen? Was it a music note and said PFD, or a USB icon with USB below it? The Sansa will like being treated as a PFD(PlayFromDevice) better than a USB drive. If it did show up that way, then it could be that that device just doesn't allow playing music over its USB connection. If it was showing up as a USB drive, then there should be a setting in the player's menus to configure it for Mass Storage Class mode vs. MTP mode. Set it up for MTP mode and see if that makes a difference.

Croathlete 05-21-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman71 (Post 506629)
Hi Dave. PlaysForSure devices like your Sansa can be a bit finnicky. Not all players support the ability to play their music over the USB connection. It could be a setting on your device that is not set right for the vehicle to index your player correctly.

When you plugged in the Sansa, what icon and name showed up on the left side of the screen? Was it a music note and said PFD, or a USB icon with USB below it? The Sansa will like being treated as a PFD(PlayFromDevice) better than a USB drive. If it did show up that way, then it could be that that device just doesn't allow playing music over its USB connection. If it was showing up as a USB drive, then there should be a setting in the player's menus to configure it for Mass Storage Class mode vs. MTP mode. Set it up for MTP mode and see if that makes a difference.

And this is just one reason why I love this forum! :thumbsup:

Jim Thompson 05-21-2009 07:00 AM

great info codeman...btw, I absolutely LOVe streaming music from my blackberry to the camaro from 30-40 feet away. what a great tailgating function!

Croathlete 05-21-2009 07:22 AM

Newegg has a 10% sale right now on all hard drives. Are we sure that portable hard drives will not work?