Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Gibson Performance Axle-back exhaust (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112010)

Demon Hunter 10-21-2010 01:44 PM

Gibson Performance Axle-back exhaust

Finally.... :mad0259: after fiddling with my camera for the better part of 3 days I came to the conclusion that it has a corrupted hard drive... :mad0260: So I filmed it using my phone, so the video quality isn't the greatest.:iono:

My impression of the exhaust now that I've been driving with it for a week is pretty high. I got to say I love the exhaust note! It's got a nice deep and mean rumble at idle. The exhaust gets a really nice performance growl at WOT. Best part is, like SDCamaro pointed out, there isn't much drone to speak of. This exhaust really minds it's manners when you want it to. The exhaust note seems to only be getting better the more I drive with it. Those of you that are concerned with drone but would like a good muscle car sounding exhaust note this is definitely the kit for you. Also got to say that the tips that come in the kit are beautiful. Don't pay attention to how they look in the vid it had just rained and they're all dirty.

Definitely want to give a shout out to Adkins Performance for getting this done! Hit them up if you want to get this set up, it's amazing!

The video doesn't do it justice, it looses a lot of the low end to the sound in the clip, the sound is really much deeper. I'll try to post more vids and some pics as soon as I can. Enjoy:

Some updated video. This is with the Injen CAI & Resonator delete now:

SDCamaro10's exhaust. Injen CAI, Magnaflow true x-pipe, Gibson Axle-back:

Another vid of SDCamaro10's exhaust:

Gotta love the way these exhausts sound. Pure money! :thumbup::thumbup:

SDCamaro10 10-21-2010 02:02 PM

Love it, love it!!

ADKINS PERFORMANCE 10-21-2010 04:48 PM

Great job on the video. Sounds good

cnrad 10-21-2010 07:33 PM

Cool vid. But umm why do the tips look really uneven?

Demon Hunter 10-21-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRoyalFlush (Post 2468090)
Cool vid. But umm why do the tips look really uneven?

You can thank Gibson for that. The rushed the kit & one of the pipes came bent in the kit. They were really good about getting it taken care of though. They're sending me the entire new passenger side assembly at no cost. I should have it by this weekend. They have a really good warranty program on all their parts. Really can't beat the sound of these bad boys though!

cnrad 10-21-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Hunter (Post 2468159)
You can thank Gibson for that. The rushed the kit & one of the pipes came bent in the kit. They were really good about getting it taken care of though. They're sending me the entire new passenger side assembly at no cost. I should have it by this weekend. They have a really good warranty program on all their parts. Really can't beat the sound of these bad boys though!

Oh haha, when I first started the vid that was the very first thing I noticed. It's good to hear they are taking care of it for you and that they have a good warranty program. And about the sound, it is very nice but I still prefer the MRT v1 but that's just me :D.

bhut 10-21-2010 09:20 PM

That's probably the first exhaust clip I've heard that I've liked. Sounds good.

SDCamaro10 10-22-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhut (Post 2468515)

Like he said, the video really doesnt do it justice.

GMGP5X 10-22-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhut (Post 2468515)

I have too agree!I have been waiting to get some kind of exhaust until I heard something that I liked. Looks like Gibson maybe it.

PoorMansCamaro 10-22-2010 06:26 PM

will be waiting on the drive by and in cabin vids. It does sound pretty beefy. I like.

SDCamaro10 10-22-2010 09:34 PM

I ordered an external microphone for my HD camera, should be here by tuesday i hope. I'll do my vids after that. most cameras with built in mics have poor sound quality so hopefully with the new one, i'll be able to get much more superior audio so you can get a really good idea how it sounds.

KMPrenger 10-23-2010 12:09 PM

Sounds mean and aggressive, but with a nice note down low. Looking forward to more vids of this. In the meantime..Ive added this to the sticky!

v6sonoma 10-23-2010 12:17 PM

Sounds great. I had a gibson on my truck and loved the sound but it was aluminized steel and didn't last to long in the winter weather here. After about 3 years it was rotted to death. I ended up replacing it with a flowmaster muffler and SS pipes all custom bent.

Demon Hunter 10-25-2010 12:09 PM

Just an update now that I've been driving around on these for a while. There is virtually no rasp with this set-up it sounds incredible now. It's gotten louder, but also deeper. Could not be more happier with this exhaust!

GtsDesigns 10-25-2010 12:17 PM

Gibson is awesome, they have my car right now, cant wait to get it back, headers (shorties), hi-flow cats/xpipe or whatever, full exhaust... my close friend has a G8, with a full set up from them (plus other mods), after riding in his car and hearing it, I couldnt drive another day. I had a borla on thier, prob gonna give that away, or burn it

Demon Hunter 10-25-2010 12:51 PM

They Definitely now how to make an exhaust sound good! :thumbsup:

The Magic Man 10-25-2010 01:10 PM

Your review has got me very interested......Apologies if I missed it....but how much is this system?

Demon Hunter 10-25-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumble Bee (Post 2479816)
Your review has got me very interested......Apologies if I missed it....but how much is this system?

They've got them posted up for sale in this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112541

$435 for stainless
$375 for the alumidized

The Magic Man 10-25-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Hunter (Post 2480047)
They've got them posted up for sale in this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112541

$435 for stainless
$375 for the alumidized

Thanks. Living in Cali, aluminized would work just as good as stainless, correct? Is there a difference in the exhaust note? Which do you have?

SDCamaro10 10-25-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumble Bee (Post 2480081)
Thanks. Living in Cali, aluminized would work just as good as stainless, correct? Is there a difference in the exhaust note? Which do you have?

Couldnt tell ya.. I lived in the mid west for a long time and aluminized always rusted out during the winters.. I went ahead and bought the stainless. Shouldnt really have an effect on performance.

Demon Hunter 10-25-2010 03:00 PM

They sound exactly the same. Your probably pretty safe going alumidized being in SoCal, Lived here all my life and have never once had a problem with anything rusting.

tokyov 10-25-2010 04:38 PM

hows the drone at highway speeds (60-75mph) @ around 2k RPM's?

SDCamaro10 10-25-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokyov (Post 2480617)
hows the drone at highway speeds (60-75mph) @ around 2k RPM's?

Very minimal. Drove to work with my seats down today and could still barely hear it in the cabin, unless i floored it.

Inuyashas_Brother 10-26-2010 10:59 AM

Very nice grumble. :headbang:

Question: at what RPMs was the engine being revved in the video?

Demon Hunter 10-26-2010 11:07 AM

Honestly I couldn't tell you, I wasn't paying attention. I do know the rev limiter kicked in though.

Inuyashas_Brother 10-26-2010 11:14 AM

Oh wow, I could tell RPMs were high but I didn't realize it was that high. If you do another video could you please rev it to around 3-4K? That should give us an idea of its street driving sound.

Thanks!

KMPrenger 10-26-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inuyashas_Brother (Post 2483436)
Oh wow, I could tell RPMs were high but I didn't realize it was that high. If you do another video could you please rev it to around 3-4K? That should give us an idea of its street driving sound.

Thanks!

In neutral, the limiter is at 4K RPMs...so no need to do a reshoot for just those RPMS.

Demon Hunter 10-26-2010 11:17 AM

KMPrenger beat me to it. it's limited to the RPM's your looking for.

SDCamaro10 10-26-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Hunter (Post 2483450)

Yup, 4k. Already tested it. lol. I need to ditch my X-Pipe and get the resonated, or go back to H.

Demon Hunter 10-26-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 (Post 2483469)
Yup, 4k. Already tested it. lol. I need to ditch my X-Pipe and get the resonated, or go back to H.

Why is that? Not happy with the tone?

SDCamaro10 10-26-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Hunter (Post 2483473)
Why is that? Not happy with the tone?

No, love the tone, but want to experiment some more. I do get a little rasp here and there from it, and the x-pipe tones it down and smoothes it out. Hence why when we had both cars side by side, your's sounded a lot louder and deeper and mine more mellow. I'll def. be keeping this exhaust tho!

Inuyashas_Brother 10-26-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Hunter (Post 2483450)

Ok, thanks. I have a manual and didn't know you can't rev past 4k in an Automatic.

KMPrenger 10-26-2010 11:46 AM

So demon, is the axle-back the only exhaust mod you have? (no headers, resonated X or anything like that right?) What about intake?

Oh, and is your car an automatic or manual?

Demon Hunter 10-26-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 2483539)
So demon, is the axle-back the only exhaust mod you have? (no headers, resonated X or anything like that right?) What about intake?

Oh, and is your car an automatic or manual?

It's Auto. So far the only mod is the axle-back. So that sound is 100% Gibson.

Demon Hunter 10-26-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 (Post 2483488)
No, love the tone, but want to experiment some more. I do get a little rasp here and there from it, and the x-pipe tones it down and smoothes it out. Hence why when we had both cars side by side, your's sounded a lot louder and deeper and mine more mellow. I'll def. be keeping this exhaust tho!

Got it. You worried me there for a minute. lol. I'm going to be deleting the resonators and switching out the stock h-pipe for the magnaflow true x hopefully this week. Looking to make it louder and deeper and get a little better performance. Just waiting for Jonathon to get the parts in.

KMPrenger 10-26-2010 12:44 PM

So I'm a bit confused from SDCamaro's posts. Just wanting to clear this up. You currently have a Magnaflow Tru X right? But your saying you still get some rasp? And to take care of that you'd like to remove it and put the stock H back on or get a resonated X? Is that all correct?

So in a post further down you state that with your Tru X your exhaust is more mellow than demon's.

So do you think your X is causing more rasp? Or is demons even more raspy than yours? (oh, and no it doesn't sound raspy, if much at all in the vids). If thats the case, then I'd say Demon would want to stay away from the Tru X.

I wonder what deleting the stock resonators might do for the tone...I'd be afraid to try it out. Might add raspiness.....but hey who knows! lol.

SDCamaro10 10-26-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 2483727)
So I'm a bit confused from SDCamaro's posts. Just wanting to clear this up. You currently have a Magnaflow Tru X right? But your saying you still get some rasp? And to take care of that you'd like to remove it and put the stock H back on or get a resonated X? Is that all correct? CORRECT

So in a post further down you state that with your Tru X your exhaust is more mellow than demon's. CORRECT

So do you think your X is causing more rasp? MAYBE Or is demons even more raspy than yours? NOPE (oh, and no it doesn't sound raspy, if much at all in the vids). If thats the case, then I'd say Demon would want to stay away from the Tru X.

I wonder what deleting the stock resonators might do for the tone...I'd be afraid to try it out. Might add raspiness.....but hey who knows! lol.

KMPrenger - Yes, I have the Magnaflow Tru-X. As widely stated, the tru-x does cause some rasp, not nearly as much as with my magnaflows. I would like to put my H-pipe back in and see what that does to the tone.

Demon Hunters car is all stock except the axle back and it sounds MEAN. I dont recall hearing much, if any, rasp on his at all.

Whereas my exhaust is about half as loud, more mellow. I believe this is because of the more free flowing Tru-X, could also be because of my Injen.

As far as the resonators go.. im curious about this as well, but i wouldnt do a delete. I would think about adding an aftermarket resonator instead. The MRT's are technically resonators, so if they make an exhaust sound like that, what would it do to the gibson?

I havent seen many with resonator deletes that sound good.. but with a chamber exhaust like gibson, it may sound alright.

Demon Hunter - Back to the x-pipe.. I think you should try it and see for yourself, but keep the stock h-pipe just in case. I want the rumble like you have so i think im going to experiment and put the h-pipe back in temporarily.

Demon Hunter 10-26-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 (Post 2483854)
KMPrenger - Yes, I have the Magnaflow Tru-X. As widely stated, the tru-x does cause some rasp, not nearly as much as with my magnaflows. I would like to put my H-pipe back in and see what that does to the tone.

Demon Hunters car is all stock except the axle back and it sounds MEAN. I dont recall hearing much, if any, rasp on his at all.

Whereas my exhaust is about half as loud, more mellow. I believe this is because of the more free flowing Tru-X, could also be because of my Injen.

As far as the resonators go.. im curious about this as well, but i wouldnt do a delete. I would think about adding an aftermarket resonator instead. The MRT's are technically resonators, so if they make an exhaust sound like that, what would it do to the gibson?

I havent seen many with resonator deletes that sound good.. but with a chamber exhaust like gibson, it may sound alright.

Demon Hunter - Back to the x-pipe.. I think you should try it and see for yourself, but keep the stock h-pipe just in case. I want the rumble like you have so i think im going to experiment and put the h-pipe back in temporarily.

Hmmm.... You got me thinking maybe I should keep the H-pipe now.... Well, you don't know if you don't try I guess.

SDCamaro10 10-26-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Hunter (Post 2484009)
Hmmm.... You got me thinking maybe I should keep the H-pipe now.... Well, you don't know if you don't try I guess.

Absolutely. I think you should try it and see. I dont want to say, as a fact, that the x-pipe is the reason its more mellow. It could very well be the combination of that and the Injen. The injen will def change the tone of a stock exhaust as well so it's hard to tell unless some experimenting is done. You could try clamping the x-pipe on nice and tight, drive it for a while, and change back if you want. If you like the sound better, have it welded in place. Either way its a simple fix. I still love the sound, i just want to experiment. :)

Demon Hunter 10-26-2010 02:56 PM

Yah, I'm just afraid now because I really love the exhaust note, I just want it a little louder.