Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Catch can? best brand? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116037)

BAWLZ SS 11-17-2010 06:14 PM

Catch can? best brand?

Hey everyone looking forward to buy a catch can for my 2010 LS3 Camaro but was wondering who makes the better catch can :iono: and whats the difference from 1 to another!? would really appreciate it if you guys can post up some links.:D prices???

SC2150 11-17-2010 07:28 PM

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102397
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109416
Look at the Mike Norris/CCA & Elite as options as well. There are several on here that do a good job of catching oil, what you ultimately want is one that wont let any oil through.

Also, forced induction takes a different configuration also.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115669

:thumbsup:

SSOOCH 11-17-2010 07:33 PM

I got the elite engineering can. I like it, but I've never tried any other so....

john468 11-17-2010 07:47 PM

I have bought the RX Performance Catch Can for my son's Camaro. I can tell you i looked into a lot of different catch cans and found the RX to be the one I wanted to go with. 1st off my son is very picky on what goes on his Camaro ( he's not paying for it ) and then being a retired Chrysler Tech myself I did have some idea what to look for. It was easy to install and had a very clean look when mounted on the car. Then as far as it working the way it was designed and the way it was put together was the final thing that made me buy it. Now after some miles it has worked very good in trapping the oil from going in the engine which is the most important thing. You will not go wrong with it and I saved you the time in having to compare all the other brands just buy it, mount it, and empty it!!! Good Luck

xxlbeerz 11-17-2010 10:39 PM

It's a catch can. :iono:
Buy the one that looks cool and is the best deal at the time.

Ron66Vette&10SS 11-18-2010 01:12 AM

After doing some research on the web, I decided the tube/orifice types (such as the RXProducts/RevExtreme) were more efficient than the mesh designs (such as the Elite Engineering). There's some other considerations as well such as how they seal, how they drain, and how/where they mount. I don't have the links, but it's worth the time to do the research.

Personally, I think the Elite Engineering looks the "coolest", but I chose the RX Products (From SC2150) with the tube/orifice internals for more effective oil control.

Catch cans definitely work. Before the install, looking down the TB, the intake was completely covered in oil & even looked puddled up in some areas. Three hundred miles after install, the intake is completely dry.

the rich dude 11-18-2010 03:10 AM

Best catch can PERIOD is the Provent 200. It actually has a filter that seperates the oil from the air. All these other catch cans are just that, a catch can. Yes they do catch allot of oil but they still allow some oil back into the engine.

2SSCAMARO 11-18-2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john468 (Post 2556226)
I have bought the RX Performance Catch Can for my son's Camaro. I can tell you i looked into a lot of different catch cans and found the RX to be the one I wanted to go with. 1st off my son is very picky on what goes on his Camaro ( he's not paying for it ) and then being a retired Chrysler Tech myself I did have some idea what to look for. It was easy to install and had a very clean look when mounted on the car. Then as far as it working the way it was designed and the way it was put together was the final thing that made me buy it. Now after some miles it has worked very good in trapping the oil from going in the engine which is the most important thing. You will not go wrong with it and I saved you the time in having to compare all the other brands just buy it, mount it, and empty it!!! Good Luck

Ditto.....I only have first hand experience with SC2150's RX catch can and it does perform well.

FB3 11-18-2010 09:39 AM

I also run the SC2150 RX catch can. It has much more volume than most others and that coupled with the design works very well in condensing oil vapor in the air and leaving it in the can.

SC2150 11-18-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the rich dude (Post 2557116)
Best catch can PERIOD is the Provent 200. It actually has a filter that seperates the oil from the air. All these other catch cans are just that, a catch can. Yes they do catch allot of oil but they still allow some oil back into the engine.

The filter is only a small part of the function, if you want to read a white paper on all the principals of separating oil vapors from the crankcase gasses PM me your email & I'd be happy to send it.

The unit you mention lets a good deal of oil through (allthough it does catch plenty) so that is less than ideal.

Test data is also available showing the pros & cons of the various designs.

Total_Perf_Eng 11-18-2010 01:32 PM

Hands down, the best catch can on the market, is from Elite Engineering USA. The owner, Jeff, is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Its 100% CNC'd, has built in filtering media, and works like a charm.

The next best, is from a guy Mike Norris. His billet can are really nice, and not really costly at all.

firengnred 11-18-2010 01:50 PM

I installed the Elite Engineering can a few days ago. I had heard plenty of positive comments about this can and really like the looks of it. As the hose lines were all clean and new when installed, I intend to disconnect the hose going from the can to the intake at servicing time to swab the nipple and hose insides to see if any oil is getting through the can and going in the intake.

SC2150 11-18-2010 02:15 PM

You can all choose your favorite, but the only way to see which works best is to test them on the same car, for the same driving time, same driving type, and same amount of use.

Simply take a clear glass inline fuel filter with the white media visable inside available from any autoparts store and place it inline between the outlet of the can and the intake manifold vacuum nipple. ALL can will catch oil, but the key is how much gets through. And you can see for yourself. I will BUY BACK any RX can that does not show it outperforms any other can on the market as far as oil geting through. ONLY the Saiku Micchi & The Mike Norris/CCA can equaled it in testing and that was on a mild NA build. The RX can is the ONLY can on the market with integrated positive closing poly check valves to prevent reversion or back-flow, and the ONLY dual valve units specifically designed for turbo & front mount SC applications.

Next I would choose the Elite as my choice of the small cans. There are some awesome looking ones on the market with unreal quality of construction, but function is the key IMHO over appearance, so the choice is up to the buyer.

The tests are easy to duplicate yourself, so personal opinions aside, just buy any that claim to be the best and get an RX can to test side by side. If it does NOT outperform any can you test it against for oil geting past I will buy it back (as long as you have not damaged or destroyed it). That simple.

And again, anyone wanting to read the several white papers on the function & principals of all cans available, pros & cons, just PM me your email & I'll send you all the material you need of actual engineering & testing, NOT personal opinion. :thumbsup:

the rich dude 11-18-2010 04:16 PM

please email me!!!:) richard.infanti@shaw.ca

need to buy a catch can and want the best available!!!:thumbsup: Thanks