Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Serious mileage issues. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297271)

mc_acoustic 05-23-2013 09:55 AM

Serious mileage issues.

Okay my city has no hills.... I hit MAYBE 10 stop lights in total on my commute to work. (All city driving)

I work midnights so traffic isn't crazy or anything....

My average speed is 20 miles an hour (My DIC). I am driving worse then my grandma to the point where people are actually honking at me and passing me in there scooters and pt cruisers (CRAZY slow on the throttle)

No word of a lie I am driving slow as all hell....

I am getting 18 miles to the gallon...

I heard of some people with similar setups getting 25 miles to the gallon or more driving how I am...

I contacted vince and he re did my tune which seems to have worked for about .5 extra miles to the gallon.... but seriously? 18 miles to the gallon is terrible... my buddies SS gets better gas milage then me and he drives it like a bat out of hell...

I need a solution... I need someone to recommend a miracle... Please...

My setup:
MRT V1
BBK long tube headers/hi flow cats
CAI intake
Trifecta tune

Things I have done:
Cleaned MAF filter
Datal logged and retuned
Unplugged battery for 30 minutes

Things I might try:
Retuning to stock to see if it is better (just for shits)
Try 91 octane
Siphon gasoline from my neighbors cars

Please anyone else if you have suggestions I will literally donate 10 dollars to someones pay pal. Not even kidding.

rtcat600man 05-23-2013 10:02 AM

take it out on the highway, set all the controls to 0.

Set the cruise to 70 mph.

Travel for at least 30 miles.

See what the DIC says for MPG.

Anything less than 30 and I would say you have an issue.

Otherwise, city driving is tough on the V6 stop and go traffic, high rpm's etc etc

htoniv 05-23-2013 10:33 AM

Is it not lower gears = more fuel consumptions?

If your average speed is 20mpg, id say your only using ur 3rd gear the most, if not the 4th? which should lower ur mpg,

but id like more insight into this a swell

kniffin3 05-23-2013 10:37 AM

im only getting 14.6 mpg and i have a 2lt.. so don't feel too bad

hworth18 05-23-2013 11:00 AM

Lots of stop/go will drastically decrease your gas mileage. Have you reset your DIC to get a recent mpg average? I switched from a Vararam intake to a CAI and my average gas mileage went from 19 to 22mpg. I am mostly stock (no headers/no tune) and I drive a mix of highway/city so I feel like my mpg is a pretty good average. I would not suggest going to higher octane gas because it really won't make a difference in the LLT V-6.

jwoair23 05-23-2013 11:01 AM

Probably wont help a lot but maybe try cleaning your throttle body, should only take 10 minutes, worth a shot!

KMPrenger 05-23-2013 11:42 AM

To the OP.

You really can't expect more than an average of 20MPG at best would be my guess under those conditions. I drive 15 - 20 miles to work each day with mixed driving (60% highway with some hills) and average 23 - 24 if I drive normally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtcat600man (Post 6579142)
take it out on the highway, set all the controls to 0.

Set the cruise to 70 mph.

Travel for at least 30 miles.

See what the DIC says for MPG.

Anything less than 30 and I would say you have an issue.

Otherwise, city driving is tough on the V6 stop and go traffic, high rpm's etc etc

I have to disagree somewhat...at least using my car as the measurement. Using Torque to see my instant MPG, at that speed under constant throttle at 70mph my MPG varies from mid 20s to upper 20s. No way I'd average at least 30. Maybe more like upper 20s is what I'd expect. On a trip on a highway where the speed limit varied from 55 - 65 I did get 29 mpg average once so I know good mileage can certainly be achieved.

If the contant speed on a flat surface was 60 - 65mph I'd say 30 could be reached, but not 30 at 70mph.

Just my .02. If you car does that Mike...well then you've got something great going on!

pgustavson 05-23-2013 11:55 AM

^ Same for me. I always reset the Avg Mileage before long highway trips just to see what I get, and it has been consistently just under 28mpg. It hasn't changed since the modding began. I'll find out this weekend where I'm at on my first long cruise (340mi, mostly highway) since the tune, but I don't expect anything different...

Black Knight 05-23-2013 12:04 PM

Maybe I got a problem I get like 14.mpg last time I checked

429 05-23-2013 12:04 PM

How short is your commute?

solteroblues 05-23-2013 12:31 PM

when I was only driving my v6 in city driving, I was averaging about 14 mpg. Once my commute extended to mostly highway, I average 23, and that's in really heavy traffice for parts of it, highway most of it. If you're getting 18 in all city, you're fine

BaylorCamaro 05-23-2013 12:32 PM

I get 16.5-17 city and I'm supercharged.

100% city driving, 5.5 miles one way and about a dozen stop lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.

rtcat600man 05-23-2013 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6579572)
To the OP.

You really can't expect more than an average of 20MPG at best would be my guess under those conditions. I drive 15 - 20 miles to work each day with mixed driving (60% highway with some hills) and average 23 - 24 if I drive normally.

I have to disagree somewhat...at least using my car as the measurement. Using Torque to see my instant MPG, at that speed under constant throttle at 70mph my MPG varies from mid 20s to upper 20s. No way I'd average at least 30. Maybe more like upper 20s is what I'd expect. On a trip on a highway where the speed limit varied from 55 - 65 I did get 29 mpg average once so I know good mileage can certainly be achieved.

If the contant speed on a flat surface was 60 - 65mph I'd say 30 could be reached, but not 30 at 70mph.

Just my .02. If you car does that Mike...well then you've got something great going on!

ROFLMFAO.....:sm0:....you should know better than to disagree even if somewhat with me......:facepalm:.........MR statistics, spreadsheets and numbers..............:first:

Here are my numbers straight from my spreedsheet.....................:happy0180:

Enjoy..................:respekt:

TooCool5 05-23-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtcat600man (Post 6580235)
ROFLMFAO.....:sm0:....you should know better than to disagree even if somewhat with me......:facepalm:.........MR statistics, spreadsheets and numbers..............:first:

Here are my numbers straight from my spreedsheet.....................:happy0180:

Enjoy..................:respekt:

I'll second that, 78 deg. 34 MPG I can easily do. (Sunoco or Shell 87 octane)
My car produces similar numbers and people question me also.