Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dyno numbers for axle-backs? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31110)

LDGn63 07-06-2009 04:29 PM

Dyno numbers for axle-backs?

anybody seen real Dyno numbers for axle-backs all by themselves?
NOT used in conjunction with anything else like a tune, headers, intake... JUST the muffs?

Jeffro19 07-06-2009 04:43 PM

Yes I would be interested in this as well. Im looking at the Borla axle back

LDGn63 07-08-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010SS6SPD (Post 653339)
Yes I would be interested in this as well. Im looking at the Borla axle back

im leaning magnaflow or SLP LoudmouthII

SMGSS 07-08-2009 12:12 PM

I dont think its going to be much of a gain at all, with just an axle back. 2-4hp maybe

Crowley 07-08-2009 12:25 PM

From pictures we have seen, the stockers flow pretty well ... I'd think of an axelback as more for sound preference than any real power gain. I'd say 5 or so at best.

Crowley

LDGn63 07-08-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMGSS (Post 658774)
I dont think its going to be much of a gain at all, with just an axle back. 2-4hp maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley (Post 658830)
From pictures we have seen, the stockers flow pretty well ... I'd think of an axelback as more for sound preference than any real power gain. I'd say 5 or so at best.

Crowley

Cat-back and AXLE-back just looks like a difference in a few feet of tubing to me.
how can the HP #'s be THAT different between the axle vs. cat?

i need an education. what am i missing? (talking LS3)
Thanks!

Flyingdog1 07-08-2009 01:52 PM

I say little or no HP increase on Axle-back. Exhaust flow is the around the same except with muff delete. But, I'm willing to bet, with everything stock, you can get another 15 RWHP with a dyno tune.

Crowley 07-08-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGn63 (Post 659145)
Cat-back and AXLE-back just looks like a difference in a few feet of tubing to me.
how can the HP #'s be THAT different between the axle vs. cat?

i need an education. what am i missing? (talking LS3)
Thanks!

I think you would be right in saying not much gain from a catback as well. You will see the largest gains from the midsection (cats) forward to the engine (headers).

Crowley

LDGn63 07-08-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley (Post 659307)
I think you would be right in saying not much gain from a catback as well. You will see the largest gains from the midsection (cats) forward to the engine (headers).

Crowley

see post #23
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=magnaflow

15HP/18TQ... nothing to laugh at... but who knows whats real?

i'm just trying to figure out if a FULL catback makes ANY sense when the factory stuff is bent so well.

Thanks so much for the input folks!

Crowley 07-08-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGn63 (Post 659768)
see post #23
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=magnaflow

15HP/18TQ... nothing to laugh at... but who knows whats real?

i'm just trying to figure out if a FULL catback makes ANY sense when the factory stuff is bent so well.

Thanks so much for the input folks!

What you need to know there is that I think that kit includes a catted xpipe. So you do replace the cats, it isn't just a catback system. If this is incorrect, then I am sorry but I believe this is the case and I'm thinking that is where most of that hp and tq came from.

Thanks,
Crowley

LDGn63 07-08-2009 04:33 PM

i think its a "resonated" x-pipe and not catted.

"MagnaFlow's Stainless Steel Street Series Cat-Back for the 2010 Camaro SS 6.2L V8 Features a resonated X-Pipe, 11" Rear Oval Mufflers and Dual 4" Polished Stainless Steel Tips."

if you scroll up in the linked thread i believe the pics show an exhaust that would be AFTER CATS... i think... LOL (but what do i know)

i guess i could e-mail or call the companies! now there's and idea! (of course i would really rather have real world dyno runs on member's cars)

Crowley 07-08-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGn63 (Post 659906)
i think its a "resonated" x-pipe and not catted.

"MagnaFlow's Stainless Steel Street Series Cat-Back for the 2010 Camaro SS 6.2L V8 Features a resonated X-Pipe, 11" Rear Oval Mufflers and Dual 4" Polished Stainless Steel Tips."

if you scroll up in the linked thread i believe the pics show an exhaust that would be AFTER CATS... i think... LOL (but what do i know)

i guess i could e-mail or call the companies! now there's and idea! (of course i would really rather have real world dyno runs on member's cars)

Lol .. it would be good to know either way as now I am confused :)

Crowley

slowerthanu 07-08-2009 06:20 PM

The MAgnaflow is after the cats. The problem with Dynos is you never really know what variables are making the power.

There are a lot of people going very fast with the stock cans in the back. The only reason I am going to replace the exhaust is for sound. I do think you make power but hell, the LSX motors make more power if you look at them wrong.