Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   New tint questions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129275)

jmhenry5150 02-14-2011 09:27 AM

New tint questions

2 Attachment(s)
Well I just had the tint done (20 / 35)...I love the look it gives the car...

2 things :

On one of the door windows I see what basically resembles a cloud - possibly from the glue...is this normal? Will it go away with time?

I tried to get it in a pic but it didn't turn out...

I upgraded to the 3M film with the lifetime warranty so I guess if it doesn't it will be going back...grrrrr...

Also they put a sticker on my window controls that says "Do not roll down windows for 3-5 days while film cures"....well....which is it, 3 or 5?!?!?

Weird...

AUS10BMX 02-14-2011 09:59 AM

With the way our windows close, if they shut your does right after doing the tint, the seal will cause a cloudy line about a half inch from the top of the window. At least thats where mine was, some cloudy spots went away after time, but if bubbles or any major flaws are not taken care of soon, they will stay.

I'd take it back until it looks right!

Ladyz28 02-14-2011 10:16 AM

I learned this the hard way, but just a tip, once your tint is done, I left my windows down just enough not to let the window indexing work for 2 days. It is also covered at night thought. I had to have it re-done because the indexing wrecked the edge on the driver's side from getting in and out of the car.

NASCR3 02-14-2011 10:30 AM

The cloudiness is normal while it dries. The sticker says 3-5? I have always waited a minimum of 7 days just to make sure there is no chance of the window seal even slightly moving the tint. I've had 9 vehicles done over the years and never a problem using this method. Unless you live an extreme hot climate then I'd wait 7 days just to be safe.

John :thumbup:

lakersftbl69 02-14-2011 11:09 AM

They'll be fine you just gotta let it dry and wait the full 5 days to be safe. Now when you got them tinted do they tint the whole window as in Pulled the door apart to get to the whole window or no?

jmhenry5150 02-14-2011 01:15 PM

They said they know all about the window indexing and installed the tint further down than they usually do...

I doubt they took the door apart tho...

ffrcobra_65 02-14-2011 03:36 PM

3-5 days days....depends where you live. In sunny SoCal, 3 days is good but doesn't hurt any to wait longer. The only time I ever open my window is when I reach out to scan my badge to open the gate at work.

dragon22 02-14-2011 04:20 PM

There is a place up here in Calgary that takes the door panels off when they do tinting on almost everything. One of the guys at work went in to talk to them about something when they were in the middle of doing his car and he just about had a fit because the panels were off. LOL

CRChevy 02-14-2011 05:31 PM

dont worry i accidentley rolled mine down 3 times within the first 2 days and there fine (year later)

jmhenry5150 02-14-2011 05:32 PM

I'm just worrying over this "cloud"...

I hope it all goes away...

NASCR3 02-14-2011 08:12 PM

The tint installer obviously did'nt explain things at all. Like I said earlier the cloudiness is normal. It's actually water that has to dry out between the film & the glass. It should go away in about a week or so. If for some unknown reason it doesn't then take it back & have them re-do it. Any tint installer worth a damn will almost always give a warranty. The guy that has done the majority of my vehicles gives a lifetime warranty against cracking peeling & bubbles & haze. Just relax it'll be fine in a few days.

John :thumbsup:

bigwayne3000 02-14-2011 09:27 PM

Well I had mine done, 35% all around about a month ago. First time they didnt put the tint far enough down the window on driver side that it started peeling up from indexing. Took it back and it was fine. I was on day 5 or so of no problems then one day I go to my car and see marks on the window and it had started peeling again. Turns out my dad for some reason unknown to anyone as to why, rolled down the window when he was moving it to plow during a snow storm. It ruined the tint and I have yet to get it done and its pretty bad now. I was going to wait for warmer days to take it back and get it redone hopefully for the 3rd and final time. I would say wait at least a full week before you begin using your windows. I always like to wait a bit longer then needed just to be sure.

jmhenry5150 02-14-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NASCR3 (Post 2841486)
The tint installer obviously did'nt explain things at all. Like I said earlier the cloudiness is normal. It's actually water that has to dry out between the film & the glass. It should go away in about a week or so. If for some unknown reason it doesn't then take it back & have them re-do it. Any tint installer worth a damn will almost always give a warranty. The guy that has done the majority of my vehicles gives a lifetime warranty against cracking peeling & bubbles & haze. Just relax it'll be fine in a few days.

John :thumbsup:

Oh yeah - lifetime warranty - I will be back if needed :)

jmhenry5150 02-19-2011 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, well it's been a week and the "cloud" is gone...

Thanks for putting up with me :sm0: