Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   For those who mod.... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298540)

2ss-booya 05-29-2013 04:30 PM

For those who mod....

Just a word of caution to those who are modifying your camaro's...whether it be the LS3, L99 or the LSA....

REPLACE THE OIL PUMP!:mad0259:

Dont assume GM has fixed it....because they havent. My pressure relief valve stuck at 9000 miles, and my motor is trashed.

On the bright side, time for an upgrade :thumbup:.

DuskSS 05-29-2013 04:32 PM

yup Lethal put the Melling in mine at 1500 miles with the Cam and heads.

Bigtime53 05-29-2013 10:52 PM

Do What? I have not heard of this.Is this a big problem? I thought I have read just about every post on this site and I did not see anything about an oil pump problem. :confused0068::confused0068:

Blue17CamaroZL1 05-29-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuskSS (Post 6603999)
yup Lethal put the Melling in mine at 1500 miles with the Cam and heads.

got my melling pump in with cam work

NightmareZL1 05-29-2013 11:28 PM

Is this the Melling 10296 pump?

KlugSS 05-29-2013 11:37 PM

When i was doing a cam swap, Texas Speed said there is no reason to replace. They said it was a great pump.

I have read it has more to do with gunk causing the spring stick.

OP what oil, oil filter, and intervals do you go for?

ayousef 05-29-2013 11:55 PM

wait the pressure relief valve is in the oil pan if im not mistaken and has nothing to do wth the oil pump? Also this happened to a friend of mine on his brand new ZL1, he trashed two motors before knowing what the problem was.

I Killed a rod bearing on my 427 truck a few days ago as well because oil pressure was fluctuating like anything, which im assuming is due to the pressure relief valve acting up, im blocking the valve and should be good.

What im not sure about is how to verify if its the valve in the oil pan or the valve in the oil pump thats acting up?

So for those looking for a fix, BLOCK THE VALVE.

2ss-booya 05-30-2013 12:18 AM

Here's a PI from GM that lists a slew of engines that can have this problem and it states to replace the oil pump.

#PIP4158D: Low Oil Pump Pressure Due To Sticking Oil Pressure Relief Valve- (Jan 18, 2012)
Subject: Low Oil Pump Pressure Due To Sticking Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Models: 2008 - 2009 Buick Lacrosse, Allure (Canada Only)

2007 - 2012 Cadillac CTS-V, Escalade

2007 - 2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

2007 - 2009 Chevrolet Impala SS, Trail Blazer

2009 - 2012 Chevrolet Colorado

2007 - 2012 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon

2009 - 2012 GMC Canyon

2008 - 2010 Hummer H2

2008 - 2010 H3 Alpha

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

2008 - 2010 Pontiac G8 GT

2007 - 2009 Saab 97x

With the Following Aluminum V8 Engine RPOs:

L76, L77, L92, L94, L99, L9H, LC9, LH6, LH8, LH9, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7, LS9, LSA, LZ1

This PI was superseded to update model and model years. Please discard PIP4158C.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may complain of low oil pressure, no oil pressure, and/or engine noise, which may be the result of a sticking oil pump pressure relief valve. In some instances, this may occur intermittently if the valve frees up when the engine cools down.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If SI diagnosis isolates low mechanical oil pressure at the oil filter housing and oil pressure sensor, replace the oil pump, flush the oil cooler lines (if equipped),
Clean the inside of the oil pan, change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the concern.
Notice: If an engine noise is noticed after replacing the oil pump, follow the SI diagnosis and repair the engine as necessary.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.  WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

2ss-booya 05-30-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayousef (Post 6605963)
wait the pressure relief valve is in the oil pan if im not mistaken and has nothing to do wth the oil pump? Also this happened to a friend of mine on his brand new ZL1, he trashed two motors before knowing what the problem was.

I Killed a rod bearing on my 427 truck a few days ago as well because oil pressure was fluctuating like anything, which im assuming is due to the pressure relief valve acting up, im blocking the valve and should be good.

What im not sure about is how to verify if its the valve in the oil pan or the valve in the oil pump thats acting up?

So for those looking for a fix, BLOCK THE VALVE.

IT's the valve in the pump. The shop that I'm working with took the pump off and you can see the valve is still stuck. This is the OEM pump by the way. The fix is to install the melling aftermarket pump. I would not recommend replacing it with another OEM pump as a few on camaro5 have had repeat problems even after having the dealer install the new OEM oil pump.

2ss-booya 05-30-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KlugSS (Post 6605912)
When i was doing a cam swap, Texas Speed said there is no reason to replace. They said it was a great pump.

I have read it has more to do with gunk causing the spring stick.

OP what oil, oil filter, and intervals do you go for?

This is essentially a new motor. I barely turned 9000 miles and picked up the car brand new Jan 26th of 2013. There shouldnt be any gunk in the motor.

Was using mobil 1 oil 5w30 / oem filter

Another thing to look at is the melling pump is what...150 bucks? I would much rather have spent the 150 dollars than have to spend the thousands of dollars I have to pay now to fix the motor.

ayousef 05-30-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ss-booya (Post 6606011)
IT's the valve in the pump. The shop that I'm working with took the pump off and you can see the valve is still stuck. This is the OEM pump by the way. The fix is to install the melling aftermarket pump. I would not recommend replacing it with another OEM pump as a few on camaro5 have had repeat problems even after having the dealer install the new OEM oil pump.

weird, on my friends car is was the valve in the oil pan, wtf is with all those pressure relief valves? Im glad they blocked my pressure relief valve on my ZL1.

Btw have the shop also look at the valve in the oil pan, its another one thats notorious for getting stuck.

which makes me think, I wonder if the SLP pump I had on my truck is simply a modified factory pump or what exactly...

found this:
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=33532

TripleBlkZL1 05-30-2013 02:00 AM

Sorry to hear about that man. Thanks for posting this though, I had no idea the ZL1's had bad oil pumps.

winchesterbob 05-30-2013 02:24 AM

This is the kind of stuff that just pisses me off.....and just about destroys my faith in a product I have been fiercely loyal to over the years (GM)....I manage our company fleet in addition to buying my personal vehicles and have bought many dozens of Chevrolets...

I dropped a bunch of $ modding my ZL1.....and, thanks to the good people on this Forum, now discover a potential deadly issue on a car I have $75K+ invested in....and no factory recall on the part.....I have to discover it for myself on an Internet message board.....UFB....and, IMO, a disgrace to GM for their could care less attitude toward their customers....

Makes me wonder just what kind of pre-release "testing" their engineering staff did on this model....seems the issue should have cropped up before now? Sad.....

Bigtime53 05-30-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ss-booya (Post 6606015)
This is essentially a new motor. I barely turned 9000 miles and picked up the car brand new Jan 26th of 2013. There shouldnt be any gunk in the motor.

Was using mobil 1 oil 5w30 / oem filter

Another thing to look at is the melling pump is what...150 bucks? I would much rather have spent the 150 dollars than have to spend the thousands of dollars I have to pay now to fix the motor.

Why would you have to pay to fix your motor? Is it not still under warranty from GM? I guess if you have done some mods to your motor I would see why they would not but your dealer still might work with you if this is a problem with others also.