Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Any takers for the DI 300hp V6? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271)

Scotsman 07-26-2007 10:51 PM

Any takers for the DI 300hp V6?

If it were to become available in the Camaro upon launch?

As it is right now, it seems that the "entry" level V8 will be the LS3 motor putting out something over 400+hp, and two V6's; one for the general public, then the more performance tuned DI V6(sorry, don't know the technical name). At first a V6 Camaro bothered me, but one with this new DI V6 doesn't sound so bad. Though I'm still more likely to shoot for the base V8.

urbanlegend 07-27-2007 01:06 AM

Sounds good, but I'm aiming for at least a base V8 as well.

JeepinMatt 07-27-2007 01:22 AM

It's not a bad engine, but to me a Camaro has a V8. I'll be getting the LS3, then boring/stroking it out and a few other mods

Mr. Wyndham 07-27-2007 01:31 AM

I think it'll be a good choice for the "normal" buyers. V6's are more forgiving than a V8, regardless of power, ther's less metal being thrown around. We, on the other hand like to keep our cars, and care for them like family(at least I do)...so Naturally, V8 is, well, natural for enthusiasts to want.

LSxcellent 07-27-2007 08:41 AM

I seriously thought about it... the improved fuel economy IS appealing. But then I just came back to the fact that if you own a car that looks THIS bada$$ it just can't have a V6... IMHO.

I'm going to get the most powerful V8 I can afford, which probably means the LS3... unless the rumoured LS8/LS9 shows up in an SS model... but I doubt it.

~LSx

Fbodybuddy 07-27-2007 08:53 AM

I had also thrashed that thought about, since my wife will probably drive it to work several times a a week, which is a 50 mile round trip commute. She's more pumped than me about the prospect of getting a 5th gen.
I had a 67 with the 250-6 and the 3 speed. I also had a 67 RS/SS 350, 69 Z-28, and regrettably an 83 Z-28. Who cares if gas is 3 bucks a gallon, looks like a V8 for me.

bcannan354 07-27-2007 10:34 AM

The V6 will appeal to alot of people that are worried about $3 a gallon gas. And they will probabally sell the V6 300Hp Camaro to people that were going to buy a base Musrtang, but I am going to get the biggest V8 available.

urbanlegend 07-27-2007 01:56 PM

Why does $3 a gallon seem cheap to me? Lol. I'm still going to roll around in a beater Honda as my DD to save on gas. Having two cars is normal for me. One nice one and one P.O.S. for the mall and stuff. I've never been a fan of V6 Camaros. It just doesn't feel right to me.

z28camaro2471 07-27-2007 06:18 PM

No v6 for me. I would like to get the highest horse v8 Chevy offers. I'm not planning on driving it everyday, so gas mileage really isn't a big deal to me. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get any where near what the published fuel economy estimates are!

MerF 07-27-2007 10:54 PM

First off, I've driven one of the most powerful 6-cylinder engines in the world (from the factory) and can't be accused of being ignorant.

That being said, there's not a chance I'm owning a muscle car without 8 cylinders in it.

Grand National? Hell yeah, I'd gobble one up in a heartbeat.
SyTy (Syclone/Typhoon)? I'll take one of each please.
Another Supra? Without missing a beat (if I was as single as I was when I owned the first one)

But a Camaro/Mustang...hell even a truck? V8 or bust. ;)

TFord 07-27-2007 11:43 PM

Ive got a very nice V6 camaro but Im tired of not having the power I want. the good thing is after all the mods she gets around 30 miles to the gallon, onthe highway(for the first half tank). But in my opinion its gotta be V8 for me. when I got my Fbody I couldent afford the insurance on the V8. but its a different day now!

Mr. Wyndham 07-27-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerF (Post 17409)
First off, I've driven one of the most powerful 6-cylinder engines in the world (from the factory) and can't be accused of being ignorant.

That being said, there's not a chance I'm owning a muscle car without 8 cylinders in it.

Grand National? Hell yeah, I'd gobble one up in a heartbeat.
SyTy (Syclone/Typhoon)? I'll take one of each please.
Another Supra? Without missing a beat (if I was as single as I was when I owned the first one)

But a Camaro/Mustang...hell even a truck? V8 or bust. ;)

+1
Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlegend (Post 17352)
Why does $3 a gallon seem cheap to me? Lol. I'm still going to roll around in a beater Honda as my DD to save on gas. Having two cars is normal for me. One nice one and one P.O.S. for the mall and stuff. I've never been a fan of V6 Camaros. It just doesn't feel right to me.

+1, but I try to think of the V6 versions as a domesticated Camaro, opposed to the V8 monster, that your sitting in.

However, I don't think I ever answered the question...If we're talking about the 300 hp V6 they've developed for Caddy, then, although I want a V8, I wouldn't mind owning that piece of history.

AirGoya 08-04-2007 06:48 PM

yea i wouldnt mind having the 300hp v6. A review of the cts says it could do 0-60 in 6 seconds. Ofcourse the camaro would do quicker but i would much rather have a v8 no matter what v8 it is.

Jak 08-04-2007 07:19 PM

Nothing less then a V-8 for me, it still has to get better gas mileage with the DOD then I do in my truck:D .