Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   about to do my retrofit... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282149)

OzzySS 03-11-2013 04:51 AM

about to do my retrofit...

got the Morimoto mini stage 3 H1 kit from TRS and RGB colorshift 2.0 halo + fogs kit from AAC...want to get started on this this week, and was wondering if anybody had any helpful tips?
should i expect to buy some more wiring, issues/difficulties others have had doing something this? i've tried to research as much as i could beforehand, but figured starting this thread specifically might help too.
thanks in advance

puertoricanfont 03-11-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzySS (Post 6271259)
got the Morimoto mini stage 3 H1 kit from TRS and RGB colorshift 2.0 halo + fogs kit from AAC...want to get started on this this week, and was wondering if anybody had any helpful tips?
should i expect to buy some more wiring, issues/difficulties others have had doing something this? i've tried to research as much as i could beforehand, but figured starting this thread specifically might help too.
thanks in advance

As you already done your research my only advice is just to take your time. If something is kicking your ass just walk away for a few minutes then go back at it. Oh and we're your sealing the headlights make sure to use plenty of silicone to prevent moisture problems. Keep us updated with the results.

OzzySS 03-12-2013 03:08 AM

I was going to add halos to the foglights too...ran into a possible problem with getting them open. So far I haven't been able to find a thread saying exactly how ppl opened theirs.
Anybody got advice??:iono:

jmontalvo 03-12-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzySS (Post 6275583)
I was going to add halos to the foglights too...ran into a possible problem with getting them open. So far I haven't been able to find a thread saying exactly how ppl opened theirs.
Anybody got advice??:iono:

Ok so you're definitely gonna want to buy some more wire to run from the halos all the way inside. You'll need about 4 different color wires so you can distinguish them when doing the wiring.

Do you know where you're gonna put the control box? I put mine in front of the shifter where the 4 pack gauge was supposed to go if I had one. There's a hole in there already so no drilling had to be done.

Make sure the halos are positioned in a U fashion where the cut area is on the top. I made the mistake of putting it in a n fashion and it doesn't look right.

MAKE SURE YOU PUSH THE REFLECTOR BOWLS ALL THE WAY IN!!! I didn't use enough force on one side and the entire bowl is leaning forward and providing no useful light.

As for the fog lights, I've read that people using a dremel with a circular saw bit and cut it opens.

If your high beams don't work, you may have to swap some pins to make them work.

Hopefully this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OzzySS 03-13-2013 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmontalvo (Post 6277424)
Ok so you're definitely gonna want to buy some more wire to run from the halos all the way inside. You'll need about 4 different color wires so you can distinguish them when doing the wiring.

Do you know where you're gonna put the control box? I put mine in front of the shifter where the 4 pack gauge was supposed to go if I had one. There's a hole in there already so no drilling had to be done.

Make sure the halos are positioned in a U fashion where the cut area is on the top. I made the mistake of putting it in a n fashion and it doesn't look right.

MAKE SURE YOU PUSH THE REFLECTOR BOWLS ALL THE WAY IN!!! I didn't use enough force on one side and the entire bowl is leaning forward and providing no useful light.

As for the fog lights, I've read that people using a dremel with a circular saw bit and cut it opens.

If your high beams don't work, you may have to swap some pins to make them work.

Hopefully this helps!

i wish tapatalk had shown me there was a response this morning... could've saved me a little bit of re-work seating the halos in a u-shape hahaha.
well, i worked most of the evening on these, and got the projectors fitted and wired, and wound up putting the fog halos in the headlight around the bulbs with the larger halos for a double effect. altho the larger halos wind up having quite a bit cut off when the cover is on (seems like roughly 40% is covered)
:(
now, the real issue i was having tonight is when i went to test the projectors, i couldn't get either low or hi beams working. i verified my setup by the instructions, connected to the battery terminal, grounded via radiator bolts (need to double check that that's a good ground, but i think i read that someone had used that spot before), and i got nothing. when i flipped to hi, i could hear the solenoid activate, but no lights! blinkers were lit, but turn signals wouldn't activate (would work with hazards tho), i checked fuses and nothing was blown...
i'm going to email TRS for some advice tonight, but if anybody reading has some suggestions i'd appreciate it. i'm trying to get the car back together in time for club meets this weekend!
thanks in advance

jmontalvo 03-13-2013 06:53 AM

about to do my retrofit...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzySS (Post 6280245)
i wish tapatalk had shown me there was a response this morning... could've saved me a little bit of re-work seating the halos in a u-shape hahaha.
well, i worked most of the evening on these, and got the projectors fitted and wired, and wound up putting the fog halos in the headlight around the bulbs with the larger halos for a double effect. altho the larger halos wind up having quite a bit cut off when the cover is on (seems like roughly 40% is covered)
now, the real issue i was having tonight is when i went to test the projectors, i couldn't get either low or hi beams working. i verified my setup by the instructions, connected to the battery terminal, grounded via radiator bolts (need to double check that that's a good ground, but i think i read that someone had used that spot before), and i got nothing. when i flipped to hi, i could hear the solenoid activate, but no lights! blinkers were lit, but turn signals wouldn't activate (would work with hazards tho), i checked fuses and nothing was blown...
i'm going to email TRS for some advice tonight, but if anybody reading has some suggestions i'd appreciate it. i'm trying to get the car back together in time for club meets this weekend!
thanks in advance

I did the same exact thing about the dual halos. What did you use to put the halos on the shroud? Careful since there's a lot of heat from the projector and HID and it could melt some glues.

Edit: Make sure nothing is plugged in backwards. That would cause things to not turn on.

puertoricanfont 03-13-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

thanks in advance

have you tried to get the highbeams working when the headlight switch was all the way to the right and not on auto mode? auto mode does some weird thing with voltage and HIDs do not like that lol

to open the foglights all you have to do is cut where the housing and lens meets with a tool such as a dremel. Its that simple. Just take your time and go all the way around till the lens disconnects from the foglight housing.

can we see how you mounted the halos? i wanna see what you mean that 40% of it is cut off when the cover is put on.

jmontalvo 03-13-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puertoricanfont (Post 6280681)
have you tried to get the highbeams working when the headlight switch was all the way to the right and not on auto mode? auto mode does some weird thing with voltage and HIDs do not like that lol

to open the foglights all you have to do is cut where the housing and lens meets with a tool such as a dremel. Its that simple. Just take your time and go all the way around till the lens disconnects from the foglight housing.

can we see how you mounted the halos? i wanna see what you mean that 40% of it is cut off when the cover is put on.

If it's like how mine turned out, then here are some pics.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/13/ujarenyq.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/13/ububu5aq.jpg

I agree with puertoricanfront on moving the knob all the way to the right. There's not enough power heading into the HIDs on auto during the day so the HIDs don't operate correctly. I usually turn them off.

puertoricanfont 03-13-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmontalvo (Post 6280701)
If it's like how mine turned out, then here are some pics.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/13/ujarenyq.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/13/ububu5aq.jpg

I agree with puertoricanfront on moving the knob all the way to the right. There's not enough power heading into the HIDs on auto during the day so the HIDs don't operate correctly. I usually turn them off.

Thanks for the pics. Op if the halos looks like this then you need to reseat them unless your ok with the look. This video shows how non rs halos should be mounted inside non rs headlights. http://youtu.be/s423AkDjEEw

OzzySS 03-13-2013 03:09 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Jmontalvo's pics look pretty close to what I was describing. I can live with that look for a while :)
I didn't know about the power issues, but I did try my knob in all the positions. Would it make a difference that I didn't reinstall my fogs yet after deciding not to put the halos in for now? I wouldn't think that would prevent my hids from lighting, but at this point I don't have any other guesses.
I'm at work for a while longer today, but I'll post some more of what I did when I get home.
Thanks again guys

LoneStar 03-13-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

thanks in advance

When I installed my HID's a while back, the connector from the kit didn't connect to the proper wires on the factory harness (i.e. the wires were switched). On your factory headlight wiring, the yellow wire is low beam and the green wire is for high beams. Make sure the wiring for the HID ballasts match up with those. (for the ground wire, I think I used the metal rod near the air intake.)

OzzySS 03-13-2013 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm I've got ballast blue going to green, and ballast red going yellow...
Attachment 485095

OzzySS 03-13-2013 10:26 PM

Figured it out...wasn't getting a good ground on either from the radiator bolts. So, the lights work.
Thanks for the suggestions guys

OzzySS 03-14-2013 12:30 AM

Anybody have any clue why my blinkers won't blink??? They light up, but when I try to activate left or right they just stay on. They'll blink when I activate the hazards, but that's it.
If it weren't for the eventual safety inspection I'd just leave it