Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Blackbee's Big Brother, The Red Baron (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179448)

VR Baron 01-21-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajamoon (Post 4354966)
Was thinking the same. Must be that Peruvian snowflake

Sounds almost like old Chinese proverb or something:D

Besides Wifey one who likes it more then I did! But doesnt drive in it much and not that aware fo the drone.

VR Baron 01-21-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARINE1991 (Post 4354844)
:needpics:

I said you guys would have to do without and use your imagination. Looks like a Magnaflow 4x8x14 two in and two out muffler.Cant see it anyway underthere

mmarx82 01-21-2012 08:48 PM

How about a vid showing off the sound of your new exhaust! Time for some Ghost sidemarkers now if you ask me...

Nice work! :5thgenvert:

VR Baron 01-21-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmarx82 (Post 4356589)
How about a vid showing off the sound of your new exhaust! Time for some Ghost sidemarkers now if you ask me...

Nice work! :5thgenvert:

Not done yet. And no where around here to do a good vid. To much traffic and noise.

VR Baron 01-22-2012 05:25 PM

Magnaflow resonated Xpipe Pics

4 Attachment(s)
O,k,, Got some shots of the Xpipe. I also have shots here of the Duplicolor undercoating and sound Eliminator stuff that is rubber compound and should absorb sound a bit. Thought I would give it a try as I am adding duracool insulating panels in the trunk for drone and for the speakers, if it helps drone elimination great, if not better for the speakers anyway. The undercoating didnt eliminate anything but my $ from my wallet and no sound reduction that I could tell on the freeway but around town and up to 40 or so seemed to reduce it some, didnt really think it would, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

VR Baron 01-28-2012 08:34 PM

PICS OF DURAKOOL INSULATING MATS IN TRUNK

6 Attachment(s)
O.k. finally arrived and put them in Friday night Sat morning. The resonated X pipe helped quite a bit with the drone in the 1500-2300 rpm range the Outlaws have, actually reduced the drone renge to 1500-1800.Car sounds smoother and deeper but also a bit more quiet but not alot, just right I think. Also decel popping reduced to a nice level and the start up is more civil also. All and all good result.

The Durakool mats I bought from Jegs. They are 1/4" thick composite vinyl dense fiber cloth with the silver heat resistant foil on one side. This stuff used like duramat and the rest for drone and noise/heat reduction.I got 2 mats 48x72 and spray on adhesive delivered for $115.Whats nice is both mats weigh only 9 lbs total so not alot of weight added to the car.

I threw both into the trunk and took a ride to see if they did anything before I did alot of work. I fired her up and yes I noticed a lower start sound, so far so good. Drove around town and on the freeway in "the zone" and it did diminish the drone a bit and made the car a bit more quiet running through the gears, but not much, which is o.k. as sounds good as is but enough to hear more exhaust and less boom or drone, these Outlaws are loud so anything will help and they still will sound good..the freeway speeds is what I was hoping to notice and I did, enough to make it liveable for some but I would like it a bit less, not quite there yet and with the windows open you can hear the drone and exhaust more now then before I did the x pipe and insulation, and with the windows closed it is more quiet, just the reverse so all this did help. I think though that J ipes or in order but want to wait and see if the x pipe seasons and mellows more before I do those.
The pics you see are the cut pieces glued to the trunk panels under the carpet and in the battery well. Also the ones I attached to the speaker/rear deck support. This didnt do anything for sound but maybe help with the speaker and sound quality.I used the carpet as a template and cut out two mats that shape. These lay down and the carpet go's over them.I did one at first then decided to try two, but dont think the second one did much if at all.I didnt do the trunk walls yet other then the rear wall so not sure if that would help. Will try it later maybe
Time will tell as I need to get used to it all and get some miles on it, Also the Magnaflow x pipe will take some miles to break in so that may help also. All in all the mats helped, not dramatically but enough with the x pipe to reduce the drone to almost livable levels on the freeway but pretty good around town and have a nice sounding and fairly aggressive sound.:w00t:

VR Baron 02-04-2012 05:42 PM

CUSTOM FABRICATED J-PIPES TO KILL THE DRONE

4 Attachment(s)
Had these fabbed up by Greg at Gene's Muffler in Downey, my long time muffler shop. 2-1/4" Aluminized piped painted semi gloss black except the adjustable end caps and clamps. Length adjusted 29.5" and kills all drone from 1500 rpm where mine started, on up on the stock except axelback 2012 LS3. Exhaust sound is good, more quiet and deeper then before and less decel popping and a bit more low end torque from the resonated x pipe and J pipes. Setup somewhat like the Solo catback but I have the outlaws(tuned muffler delete) and the stock resonators still. Those may go but dont think it will effect much. Overall:w00t: and NO Drone!!

VR Baron 03-03-2012 07:16 PM

DELETED STOCK RESONATORS

1 Attachment(s)
Last exhaust mod. I removed the stock resonators and replaced with 2.5".Basically I have a Solo with J pipes catback now but with the Outlaw mufflers which sound better then just a muffler delete, and for less $. Not a big thing but they aren't needed with the resonated x pipe in place.Also on one entry pipe to one of the resoantors the pipe is flattened for clearance making that pipe about 2-2.12" in effective size. Only flat spots left are in the mid pipe now.
Sound increased a bit, more defined rumble all through cold startup and idle and accel which I was looking to get, decel popping increased a bit but o.k. rev in drive sounds great! Just wish I could hear the exhaust as good from inside the car as standing behind it!

Buffnshine 03-04-2012 02:17 PM

Glad you got it the way you like. Got my new tune put in car is even better now. Just need that TB to get here

VR Baron 03-04-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffnshine (Post 4586366)
Glad you got it the way you like. Got my new tune put in car is even better now. Just need that TB to get here

Thanks and need to go for a drive one day in your car now. Halltech cai coming next and later TB also.

VR Baron 03-14-2012 11:44 PM

HALLTECH CAI INSTALLED

3 Attachment(s)
Installed the Halltech cai on Wednesday. Only took an hour.No instructions but easy and straight forward, also had help from a thread here. One thing I did was instead of cutting the plastic pcv line to the intake tube so it would fit into the rubber hose with the kit, I cut a larger dia hose pc that the plastic line with the fitting attached could slip into and also the rubber line from the kit would also. Worked perfectly and oem line intact.
Inital 15 miles car felt better, easier off the line and accellerated more smoothly, will see after the ecu relearns the new setup.Not much sound, a bit more rumble but exhaust hides most of it.Later will paint the tube gloss black and the box red.

Last night cleaned up the pvc hose by eliminating the plastic pvc line and using a section of extra catch can rubber hose that goes up under the over. Much cleaner. Also turned the filter so the metal ridge doesnt show. Any one with a 2012 I think this box fits very easily as the 2012 has one metal line on the frame instead of two. Easier to align it.

VR Baron 03-21-2012 11:59 PM

APEX CAI SCOOP AND RELOCATED WASHER BOTTLE

8 Attachment(s)
Tonight in the garage I installed the air scoop, washer bottle and GM motor from Apex that I bought from member Indeed1SS. They were new, only two weeks old and he fed x'd them to me in two days. Big thanks to Indeed1SS!. Took 2.5 hours start to finish, including the pics.The following are A-Z pics to see how it all goes together. Same as other threads but more cant hurt for anyone wondering how it all looks.
The pic where I cut the front splash guard I used a Xacto knife after I masked the cut lines with painters tape. Not hard at all. Material is a rubber compound like the lower air dam so easy to cut. In the last pics what you see bolted to the box wall next to the filter is the remote filler spout and the clear hose runs down to the 2 quart bottle.

VR Baron 03-22-2012 09:44 AM

:rolleyes:

VR Baron 04-13-2012 09:16 PM

Magnaflow resonated x pipe removed

Today removed the Resonated X pipe to try and get my Outlaw sound back without to much popping and cold start loudness.The H pipe went back in, no stock resonators so I have what amounts to a 2.5" Outlaw catback, H pipe instead of the scavanger x Flowmaster uses.Well it sounds GREAT! No longer muffled, sounds like it should, decel popping more and louder, but not alot, not bad,Sounds like the Outlaw catback should.It is louder but not in a bad way, just right and the J pipes still take care of the drone.Will see how it goes.

Overall much better:D:thumbup:

Update and Edit. After driving today is just a bit loud all the time for me, thought it could be so step two and the stock resonators went back in. Toned it down just a bit and a little less popping.Muffler guy thought it was better as well, not over the ragged edge. So with this setup you can taylor it to what you want:
1. all out no j pipes
2. Add j pipes and kill the drone
3. keep stock resonators to tone it just a bit and reduce a little of the loudness and popping.

VR Baron 04-30-2012 11:00 PM

BLACK CENTERCAP AND RED BOWTIE DECALS

1 Attachment(s)
Added black surround and red bowties to the wheel center cap. Bought from Ebay, did same on my 2LT. I wanted to add a bit of color and contrast to the sliver wheels, felt they needed something, to bland. This I thought turned out pretty good and ties in the red/black theme. Also will add black decals to the recess on each spoke near the lugnuts. One member has it and the whole effect is nice. If dont like can always take them off. I dont plan on wheels as these are good enough, just needs a little something extra.

rolnslo 05-01-2012 10:53 AM

I like those. Nice touch!

VR Baron 05-04-2012 01:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed the OEM Strut Tower Brace that comes on the verts.They do come beat up as everyone says, so used 400 grit sandpaper,a finishing pad and Mequiers metal polish and nice and shiney.Later will paint the two end sections gloss black.
I put it on for sharper steering responses for the canyons and auto x courses. It did help a little bit, more stable and solid feeling up front, smoother over patched up asphalt, less understeer in that as you turn the wheel at moderate to higher speeds the car responds and turns quicker, not alot, but a little bit.

rolnslo 05-04-2012 09:34 AM

This part has been on my 'list' of things to get for a while now. Is it sad that I really only want it so that my redesigned strut towers and the empty bolt holes actually get used for the purpose they were designed for?

VR Baron 05-04-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolnslo (Post 4910391)
This part has been on my 'list' of things to get for a while now. Is it sad that I really only want it so that my redesigned strut towers and the empty bolt holes actually get used for the purpose they were designed for?

A friend of mine did the same thing, but does hit canyons once in awhile.You would have more of a reason to do Auto X though:D:rolleyes:

rolnslo 05-04-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR Baron (Post 4910490)
A friend of mine did the same thing, but does hit canyons once in awhile.You would have more of a reason to do Auto X though:D:rolleyes:

Oooh, good point! :D

Moreno1 05-04-2012 10:54 AM

Nice job on car so far. I like the details. Keep it up :thumbsup:

VR Baron 05-04-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno (Post 4910786)
Nice job on car so far. I like the details. Keep it up :thumbsup:

Thanks Nathan. A little bit at a time.

VR Baron 05-26-2012 08:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
New(used) stock polished rims in place of the Midnight Silver ones. Not fancy but what I wanted but didn't get when I bought the car. Goes better with the red color then the other rims I think, more pop.

Inferno LSX 05-28-2012 02:27 AM

Yah the polished ones do look better.

VR Baron 05-28-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno LS3 (Post 5033004)
Yah the polished ones do look better.

Thanks Jason. Now I have to deal with the place that mounted tme and gouged the clear coat on three spokes.Man I was pissed!