Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   First L99 A6 in the 12s bone stock (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40576)

Chris@glimmerglass 09-07-2009 06:00 PM

Nice work Pave1! Those are great numbers for running bone stock!

Chris@glimmerglass 09-07-2009 06:02 PM

btw, what were the air temps up there last night?

2010 SSRS 09-07-2009 06:07 PM

Hell Yea, that is awesome.
I love my L99. I'm in RI, I hope to get to N.E. Dragway one of these days.

Super83Z 09-07-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DkknightX (Post 893957)
Forgive my ignorance, but why does it say Dodge Hemi on your slip? I'm assuming it was what you were up against, but I don't see your car's information anywhere. Shouldn't it say Camaro? :yikes: Thanks all!

Yea up here Dodge is a big sponsor for our dragway. So they call one lane the HEMI lane and the other the DODGE lane.

salohi 09-08-2009 02:55 AM

great

what was the technique ??? else than cooling for 2 hours

manual shifting !!!

CFPC_2010 09-08-2009 07:38 AM

Pave1 - Few questions:

1. What rim size do you have on your SS?
2. What gear did you go through the traps in?

My car is the A6 in GMHTP that went 13.38 stock on the 20" rims but it shifted into 4th ~200 feet from the end. In stock trim prior to tuning the shift times were very slow so if I could have held it in the first 3 gears longer the times would have been better.

Thanks,

Terry

Pave1 09-08-2009 04:32 PM

20 inch aluminum polish, Used M mode let it shift by it self. Shifted at 5700 to 5800 not sure but it did shift into 4th. It does pull more rpms in M mode not using the peddle shifters.

SGOS252382 09-08-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pave1 (Post 898191)
20 inch aluminum polish, used M mode let it shift by it self.Shifted at 5700 to 5800 not sure but it did shift into 4th.It does pull more rpms in M mode not using the peddle shifters.

Yeah, 3rd to 4th gear shift is around 97 -99 mph or so. So I really don't think a full 1/4 mile pass in 3rd gear is possible (with stock cam, etc).

And the faster the run (trap speed), the earlier its going to shift into 4th. So that's a good sign if your car is shifting into 4th gear with a decent amount of track left before the 1/4 mile mark.

Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 09-08-2009 08:42 PM

That's AWESOME New England Dragway is pretty close to me i'll have to get up there sometime.

a_Username 09-08-2009 09:50 PM

Is that bad for the car to be in Manual Mode and letting it shift by itself? And my brother has a Duramax with TapShift and it won't shift by itself, it will just rev it in the gear you're sitting in. I tried Manual Mode once but I actually used the peddles lol.

DJPGTO 09-09-2009 09:44 AM

Not at all the system the Allison transmission uses is differant than the system in the Camaro. The Allison is made to hold the gears for pulling heavy loads.

The Hydra-Matic 6L80 automatic in the Camaro offers really 3 differant transmissions built in to one. You have the "D" setting which of course is just drive. The second setting is if you push the shifter to the right which will read as the "M" mode. That will give you (PAS) or Perfomance Algorithm Shifting, which means the cars computer will read driving hadits and throttle input and adjust the shift points acccordingly. Then lastly there is the tap shifting.

I hope this helps.

a_Username 09-09-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJPGTO (Post 901026)
Not at all the system the Allison transmission uses is differant than the system in the Camaro. The Allison is made to hold the gears for pulling heavy loads.

The Hydra-Matic 6L80 automatic in the Camaro offers really 3 differant transmissions built in to one. You have the "D" setting which of course is just drive. The second setting is if you push the shifter to the right which will read as the "M" mode. That will give you (PAS) or Perfomance Algorithm Shifting, which means the cars computer will read driving hadits and throttle input and adjust the shift points acccordingly. Then lastly there is the tap shifting.

I hope this helps.

So for Drag/Street Racing, it's best to have the Car in Manual Mode with Competitive Mode on? I raced a '02 GT the other night in Drive, with the normal startup mode... Had him pretty bad :thumbup:

SGOS252382 09-09-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_Username (Post 902012)
So for Drag/Street Racing, it's best to have the Car in Manual Mode with Competitive Mode on? I raced a '02 GT the other night in Drive, with the normal startup mode... Had him pretty bad :thumbup:

I would stay away from "manual mode" for drag racing. The best mode would be M (Sport mode - with TC off) where the computer does the shifting. That way you don't have to be constantly looking at the tach to make sure you don't mess up a shift.

Manual mode = tap shift mode

The different modes
1. D (regular drive)
2. M (Sport mode)
3. M (manual/tap shift mode)

a_Username 09-09-2009 05:46 PM

So is he talking about Manual Mode or Sport Mode when he described his technique? That shit got me confused.

toehead93 09-10-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pave1 (Post 898191)
20 inch aluminum polish, Used M mode let it shift by it self. Shifted at 5700 to 5800 not sure but it did shift into 4th. It does pull more rpms in M mode not using the peddle shifters.

See his quote above, M (sport mode...ie. no paddle shifting).

a_Username 09-10-2009 11:10 AM

Ok so sport mode is when you let manual mode shift by itself?

ravensjeff 09-15-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_Username (Post 905296)

Looks like we're both looking for the same answers!! Now that the car is broken in, its time to run her!!

jtellez 09-20-2009 10:31 AM

What type of break-in did you have?

SGOS252382 09-20-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_Username (Post 905296)

Shifter in these positions
D - Regular Drive
M- Sport Mode (computer does shifting)
When in Sport Mode, if you touch the paddle shifters it switches to
manual mode.
M- Manual Mode (tap shifters in use) - while in manual mode, the DIC will indicate what gear the transmission is in.

To return to M (Sport Mode- computer does the shifting), you must move the shifter back up to D and then back down to M.

Manual mode is when you "manually" shift gears with the tap shifts. You get to manual mode by first being in "sport mode" and you hit the tap shift up or down.

a_Username 09-21-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGOS252382 (Post 947269)
Shifter in these positions
D - Regular Drive
M- Sport Mode (computer does shifting)
When in Sport Mode, if you touch the paddle shifters it switches to
manual mode.
M- Manual Mode (tap shifters in use) - while in manual mode, the DIC will indicate what gear the transmission is in.

To return to M (Sport Mode- computer does the shifting), you must move the shifter back up to D and then back down to M.

Manual mode is when you "manually" shift gears with the tap shifts. You get to manual mode by first being in "sport mode" and you hit the tap shift up or down.

Just making sure mayne.

Don O 11-15-2009 01:43 PM

With 800 miles on the car, I'm going to take it to the Fontana CA track on 12/5. I understand the 3 auto modes, but the question I have is when its shifted from D to M (Sport mode) at a dead stop, is the car going to launch from 1st gear or 2nd?

Don O

klatterblast 11-15-2009 01:59 PM

:iono: what about t/c button do you tap twice or hold it down and turn everything off ??

Pave1 11-17-2009 07:56 PM

Put the shift in M and just turn the traction control off

JohnInSoCal 11-17-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don O (Post 1175800)
but the question I have is when its shifted from D to M (Sport mode) at a dead stop, is the car going to launch from 1st gear or 2nd?

Don O

1st gear from what I can tell in both M(sport) and D. Try it and watch the speed/rpm when taking off in M, then do it with tap shift. 1st gear is really short and if you are not on the throttle hard it shifts to second really quickly, like at 12 MPH. But if you are at WOT or on it hard then it holds it longer. Also if it did start in second I think doing burnouts would be much tougher. But it would be nice if in M (sports mode) it did tell you what gear it was in.

SGOS252382 11-18-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnInSoCal (Post 1186118)
1st gear from what I can tell in both M(sport) and D. Try it and watch the speed/rpm when taking off in M, then do it with tap shift. 1st gear is really short and if you are not on the throttle hard it shifts to second really quickly, like at 12 MPH. But if you are at WOT or on it hard then it holds it longer. Also if it did start in second I think doing burnouts would be much tougher. But it would be nice if in M (sports mode) it did tell you what gear it was in.

The L99 A6 starts you out in 1st gear from a dead stop in all modes except
manual/tap shift.

Regular D (drive) - always starts you out in 1st gear after stopping.
M (Sport mode) - always starts you out in 1st gear after stopping.
M (manual/tap shift mode) - starts you out in 2nd gear after stopping. You must manually tap down into 1st, if you want to start out in 1st gear.