Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ARH HEADERS CHECK ENGINE OR TUNE NEEDED? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35697)

rharon 08-04-2009 01:49 PM

ARH HEADERS CHECK ENGINE OR TUNE NEEDED?

Do I have to do a tune if I install the ARH HEADERS? I have heard you will get a check engine light? Any truth in that?

ZZcamaro 08-04-2009 01:51 PM

I got an engine light after a few hundred miles. You have two options...

the best idea would be get a tune.

or

you could get O2 simulators and plug them in, or have a tuner turn them off.

Crowley 08-04-2009 01:53 PM

I had 2 lights in 2 weeks or so after the install. I'd get a tune and shut it down. I know ADM was working with ARH to see if there was something they could do so it wouldn't throw a code without some other modification .. not sure where they are on that.

Crowley

Gentry78 08-04-2009 02:01 PM

just have the o2 turned off you don't necessarily need a tune but it is best

SGOS252382 08-04-2009 02:09 PM

Get a tune.
After getting long tubes you have no idea what your A/F ratio looks like.

AG454 08-04-2009 03:06 PM

I got a light two days after install of ARH headers. Got tuned last week, no lights and drives great. 405 rwhp.

Tom@ARH 08-04-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rharon (Post 758271)
Do I have to do a tune if I install the ARH HEADERS? I have heard you will get a check engine light? Any truth in that?

Any long tube system is going to give you a light the cats flow much better than the stockers causing the rear O2's to go nuts. You'll never see the most out any mods without proper tuning

CGM2SSRS 08-04-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom@ARH (Post 760064)
Any long tube system is going to give you a light the cats flow much better than the stockers causing the rear O2's to go nuts. You'll never see the most out any mods without proper tuning

A tune should be included in the mind set of all when improving performance. Your spending all that money on LT'S etc.,for what? 2.5k for exhaust and intake, and you hedge on a 500.00 tune? It's like building a balanced and blue printed motor and then running 87 in it. Maximize your potential. Get the most out of your investment. :sm2:

rharon 08-05-2009 01:33 AM

Thanks fro the answers I have a magnacharger and arh headers coming. I am deciding on the CAI.
You have to send your computer to magnacharger for a tune. The wont tune the arh in california... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

TAG UR IT 08-05-2009 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rharon (Post 761013)
Thanks fro the answers I have a magnacharger and arh headers coming. I am deciding on the CAI.
You have to send your computer to magnacharger for a tune. The wont tune the arh in california... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If you are putting on a magnacharger, you obviously don't care about the stock warranty.....so, go get a tune. You won't be unhappy.

I have LT's and have a light. I want to keep the warranty. I'm not tuning...as of yet. I also am waiting on the guys at Stainless to come up with a check engine light solution.

sting808 08-05-2009 05:32 AM

Will minor flow increases with Shorty's & CAT back change tolerances enough to throw a check engine indicator?

I'm going to wait a year or so before looking into FI and/or mild cam. Just want to do minor intake and exhaust before major mods. If I don't break anything in the first year or so, then HPtuner, here I come. Providing our local track opens up...

khislop007 08-05-2009 07:54 AM

What about A/F ratio without a tune? will it run lean/rich and will this cause problems?

SGOS252382 08-05-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khislop007 (Post 761367)
What about A/F ratio without a tune? will it run lean/rich and will this cause problems?

It very well could. I had my 06 GTO dyno tuned after getting 1 7/8 headers and high flow cats and it was running dangerously lean.

Here's a quote from Haddad Motorsports:

For those of you wondering. You absolutely must get a tune when doing long tube headers. They change the airflow dynamics of the motor enough to warrant a tune. Over the years we have had several customers come through our shop with nothing but headers on there lsx cars, and more than a few have had piston damage due to long term detonation.

GM spends a lot of money dialing these cars in. Any mod thats in excess of 10rwhp in gains should be followed with some kind of dyno tune.

Thanks
Mike Haddad

Your one stop high performance shop for all your Camaro needs.

info@haddadmotorsports.com
www.haddadmotorsports.com

rharon 08-05-2009 03:03 PM

I talked to mike for a long time yesterday and he is very nice guy who knows his stuff. Its not that i dont want to tune i just wanted to get a tune from someone who has allready done the same mods. IE: HENNESSEY I dont know of anyone in Fresno, CA. Who does can do a tune.