Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Sports Lounge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Driver Kevin Ward, Jr. Killed In Incident With Tony Stewart (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372620)

rebelyell22 08-10-2014 03:09 AM

Driver Kevin Ward, Jr. Killed In Incident With Tony Stewart

Not much info out yet, but this is horrible. RIP Kevin Ward Jr. and prayers sent to his family.
http://jalopnik.com/driver-kevin-war...ium=socialflow

376LS3 08-10-2014 05:00 AM

While it sucks it happened, you dont walk out in front of a moving f'ing car!!! That was just straight up stupid. Especially on a dirt track where traction is none.

Balok 08-10-2014 06:34 AM

This is just horrible. Thoughts to the Ward family. It wouldn't surprise me if Tony retires after this regardless of what legal issues might come from it. I have a feeling the repercussions from this will be huge especially in terms of on track antics and retaliation. I totally anticipate that NASCAR will make drivers sit in their cars until safety crews get there and make them go immediately into the ambulance with any type of antics resulting in a penalty. Just my .02.

Steve Dallas 08-10-2014 07:24 AM

I don't think Stewart should or will retire from this. Tragic accident, even if he was trying to "make a point" by revving the engine/breaking loose the tires while passing Ward.

Simply put, this stuff has been going on for far too long. The running after moving cars and throwing a tantrum on the track. So unsafe, and this was bound to happen eventually. Up until now, NASCAR has allowed these antics to go on, so it looks like it's become popular even in the lower levels of the sport of driving.

Heck, I've even enjoyed some of the antics when they did this...and I'm sure many others did as well. Until now, safety during these antics just wasn't an issue.

Now, I suspect they enact rules that will suspend/ban drivers if they break these safety rules in the future.

ssrs2lt 08-10-2014 08:47 AM

aweful I just hope Stewart wasn't trying to scare him..

AKA-22 08-10-2014 08:54 AM

the driver was hit by Tony ' s right rear wheel as Tony attempted to swerve to avoid the driver and the rear end slid into the driver.
End of story ! nobody should exit their car like that during a race..It was just a young mans mistake...

PoorMansCamaro 08-10-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 376LS3 (Post 7880375)
While it sucks it happened, you dont walk out in front of a moving f'ing car!!! That was just straight up stupid. Especially on a dirt track where traction is none.

+1. I'm sorry for the Ward family, but that guy is a complete moron.:facepalm:

And I think Stewart is racing today.

Angrybird 12 08-10-2014 09:15 AM

After watching the video several times I do believe because of the black drivers suit and dark corner Tony may not have been able to see him until it was too late, it also looked to me like he was swerving trying to miss him.
I wouldn't put too much stock into eye witness accounts though. There are too many that will say he did it on purpose because they don't like him. Just as his fans will say the opposite. I say let the videos and at the scene evidence do most of the speaking.

Matt_ZL1 08-10-2014 09:16 AM

Driver Kevin Ward, Jr. Killed In Incident With Tony Stewart

Really sad. Seems a lot of stupidity on both sides of it but unfortunately one paid the ultimate price. RIP.

Nobody will ever know for sure what Tony was thinking or if he even saw him but we can be sure that this will follow him and torment him the rest of his life.

Unfortunately when we are talking about manslaughter/murder I wouldn't trust what he says.

BAD DAB 08-10-2014 09:22 AM

My prayers go out to the Ward family.

ToolFan66 08-10-2014 09:25 AM

Tony decides not to race today.. I figured he wouldn't, he made the right decision..

6bangerBOOM 08-10-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 7880520)
After watching the video several times I do believe because of the black drivers suit and dark corner Tony may not have been able to see him until it was too late, it also looked to me like he was swerving trying to miss him.
I wouldn't put too much stock into eye witness accounts though. There are too many that will say he did it on purpose because they don't like him. Just as his fans will say the opposite. I say let the videos and at the scene evidence do most of the speaking.

Agree. I've heard two accounts that either say he gunned it or that he yanked the wheel. With the way those vehicles handle there isn't much that you can do that won't kick the ass end out. This is just a bad situation. I don't think Tony Stewart meant to hit the kid, but his reputation isn't doing him a service right now.

el ess A 08-10-2014 09:38 AM

Sometimes stupid has no bounds. Regardless of how pissed he was about getting wrecked, you get out of your car thinking you can take on a car coming toward you, you get what you get. It's tragic that it happened, but there's really only one person's fault for the way it turned out.

Sorry, I can't feel much remorse for someone doing incredibly stupid things. Race experience and anger aren't much help against a right rear car tire.

I think there will be new rules to keep people in disabled cars (unless it's on fire, etc.) until the rescue teams get there. Violators could be heavily fined or suspended. Incentivize people not to do retarded antics.

AZCamaroFan 08-10-2014 09:48 AM

that's crazy getting in front of a car like that. i 'm not sure how quickly those cars on a dirt track can stop anyway.