Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   intercooler pump questions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295892)

cam99 05-16-2013 03:54 PM

intercooler pump questions

Does the intercooler pump run anytime the key is on, or just under boost conditions, or at a certain temperature? Want to verify operation, but not sure when it will be on. I would assume if you take the intercooler res cap off during operation you should see some water movement. Also is there a way to install a switch to run constant so temp can be lowered while sitting in the staging lanes at the track.

Blown355 05-16-2013 04:57 PM

Then pump should come on a few minutes after start up, and run the entire time.

When I upgraded my pump, I wired in a switch. There are 3 wires going into the pump. If I remember correctly, wire 4 is brown and is the hot wire. I ran a wire from it up to a switch I put on the bracket under the fuse box. For the hot lead, I hooked to the "bolt" on the front of the fuse box. Always put a fuse inline. I also have the stock fans wired to come on, on low speed with another switch.

The Baron 05-16-2013 08:04 PM

I thought about bypassing mine so it could run while the car was off, that's when it needs to run.. the car jyst flat needs a ice tank if you are not willing to spray meth...

flyingskibiker 05-18-2013 05:46 AM

You can also jumper at the relay, I'm pretty sure (is done to fans). Also, if you are adding another power supply line to an existing one, you should install a couple diodes...

05stram 05-18-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Baron (Post 6552976)
I thought about bypassing mine so it could run while the car was off, that's when it needs to run.. the car jyst flat needs a ice tank if you are not willing to spray meth...

why - heat soak? you trying to drive up supercharger efficiency from a heat soaked engine? I am confused by your statement. Why not circulate the entire cooling system for you theory? Just asking as I have never heard anyone just worry about one portion of the equation.

oldfriend 05-18-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05stram (Post 6558404)
why - heat soak? you trying to drive up supercharger efficiency from a heat soaked engine? I am confused by your statement. Why not circulate the entire cooling system for you theory? Just asking as I have never heard anyone just worry about one portion of the equation.

The way I see it , he want to have the hability to kep it running even after the engine is turned off , for a period of time ( I think) to help cool the engine faster

cam99 05-18-2013 08:58 AM

The idea is in the staging lanes at the drag strip you can have the intercooler pump running continueous while you are waiting for the next pass to help reduce the amount of heat soak in the blower. An ice tank helps this alot because you can keep adding ice to cool the fluid (water) since there is no air passing through the intercooler while you are sitting

05stram 05-18-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cam99 (Post 6558590)
The idea is in the staging lanes at the drag strip you can have the intercooler pump running continueous while you are waiting for the next pass to help reduce the amount of heat soak in the blower. An ice tank helps this alot because you can keep adding ice to cool the fluid (water) since there is no air passing through the intercooler while you are sitting

ok gotcha

Blown355 05-18-2013 02:11 PM

I wired the hx pump and one of the factory fans to come on with one switch. That way you're not only circulating the hx coolant around, but also pulling air through the hx. Works great at the track. Flip the switch on, close your hood and head to the staging lanes. Factory fan and pump running the entire time.

cam99 05-18-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blown355 (Post 6559357)
I wired the hx pump and one of the factory fans to come on with one switch. That way you're not only circulating the hx coolant around, but also pulling air through the hx. Works great at the track. Flip the switch on, close your hood and head to the staging lanes. Factory fan and pump running the entire time.

This sounds perfect. Where did you tap into the fan and pump circuits?

SC2150 05-18-2013 02:41 PM

Ice is such a hassel to drain and replace and the added weight......do this and never worry again, and ice cant come close to colling this well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaQRwNmt7lY

In the staging lanes, switch to "competition mode" and so there is no water to drip, and your looking at 30-40 rwhp gain on a stock ZL1 with the low IAT's. Watch close the video as it shows ambient air temps (outside air), IAT2's, intercoller coolant, engine coolant, throttle position, etc. After a has 30-40 seconds of WOT we switch it on......nothing will cool as efficiently or as quickly as long as you like and not rob any HP and it only adds 18-19#'s total.

alssiri 05-18-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 6559447)
Ice is such a hassel to drain and replace and the added weight......do this and never worry again, and ice cant come close to colling this well:

In the staging lanes, switch to "competition mode" and so there is no water to drip, and your looking at 30-40 rwhp gain on a stock ZL1 with the low IAT's. Watch close the video as it shows ambient air temps (outside air), IAT2's, intercoller coolant, engine coolant, throttle position, etc. After a has 30-40 seconds of WOT we switch it on......nothing will cool as efficiently or as quickly as long as you like and not rob any HP and it only adds 18-19#'s total.

SuperChiller is the way to go :thumb: I have it on my MagnaCharged SS & my ZL1 .
Never worry about power drop cause of heat soak or Boost drop cause of hot IAT's .

Ahmad

PQ 05-18-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 6559447)

HOLY SHIT.................. I want one.

crg 05-18-2013 05:50 PM

I know that it bypasses the factory hx when the ac is on, but would you also benefit from larger hx for winter months or while at wot. Just wondering a out having engine tuned with such low iat and when on the hx the tune being off