Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sad day for detroit muscle.. Corvette next to be axed? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20745)

camarofanatic 04-30-2009 03:28 PM

Sad day for detroit muscle.. Corvette next to be axed?

http://autos.aol.com/article/car-new...se/20090429001

i couldnt believe it when i read this article it brought a tear to my eye no chance of seeing a firebird again but for them to call off corvette and the camaro makes me cry

im only 19 and would love to travel back to the muscle car era...i wish i could live those American Graffiti and Two Lane Black Top days...wow i guess thats just a fantasy

i mentioned to my friends how cool it is to see the Big 3 rolling out detriot muscle challengers mustangs and camaros on the street what a sight but i guess it will be a short lived sight

as i tell my friends you cant drop a big block into a honda then they ask whats a big block it seems that japenese tuners are taking over and the muscle cars are fading PLEASE DONT LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!! i do respect tuners that put up good numbers but i grew up around rear wheel drive no traction muscle cars...i miss my 69 camaro

sorry for the rant lets hope that the camaro legend doesnt die out because of this economy:chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::bow::bow::bow: :bow:

greenrail 04-30-2009 03:34 PM

Take it easy my friend. That article is a rant full of wanton speculation. The Corvette is a class leader in terms of economy, efficiency, safety and one of the best examples of american technology on the road. And all that at half the price of most of its competition.

The key word here is "competition." The Camaro is every bit as competitive in its price range and class of vehicle.

Will there be changes ahead, more than likely yes. But only time and proper engineering will really tell the whole story.

vm1971 04-30-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarofanatic (Post 446914)
http://autos.aol.com/article/car-new...se/20090429001

i couldnt believe it when i read this article it brought a tear to my eye no chance of seeing a firebird again but for them to call off corvette and the camaro makes me cry

im only 19 and would love to travel back to the muscle car era...i wish i could live those American Graffiti and Two Lane Black Top days...wow i guess thats just a fantasy

i mentioned to my friends how cool it is to see the Big 3 rolling out detriot muscle challengers mustangs and camaros on the street what a sight but i guess it will be a short lived sight

as i tell my friends you cant drop a big block into a honda then they ask whats a big block it seems that jap tuners are taking over and the muscle cars are fading PLEASE DONT LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!! i do respect certain tuners that put up good numbers but i grew up around rear wheel drive no traction muscle cars...i miss my 69 camaro

sorry for the rant lets hope that the camaro legend doesnt die out because of this economy:chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy::bow::bow::bow: :bow:

yeah, chill. speculation / rant / opinion.

ease up, cowboy!
:D

camarofanatic 04-30-2009 03:39 PM

lol i can let my emotion get the best of me its sad to think that one day there might not be a thing such as a v8 engine lol imagine a hybrid corvette:barf:

vm1971 04-30-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarofanatic (Post 446949)
lol i can let my emotion get the best of me its sad to think that one day there might not be a thing such as a v8 engine lol imagine a hybrid corvette:barf:

as long as there are peeps like us there will ALWAYS be a V8.
Govt. or NOT -
its just NOT gonna go down that way! im way optimistic, but someone's gotta be! i was raised on V8 honkers and own TWO of my own!

:)

FenwickHockey65 04-30-2009 03:49 PM

Believe me, that article's already been ripped to shreds on GMI.

Pure BS and speculation.

Tactical Z 04-30-2009 03:51 PM

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...nd-Sport_2.jpg

2010 Corvettes will begin production June 15th just a bit earlier this year.

2010 GS!

I hope not, that will be the day that I cry.

Riderover40 04-30-2009 04:03 PM

Jibberish! :popcorn: Let's wait and see. What you will not see is an automotive industry run by a government. Yes, in the short term the gov't may take adventage of making demands tied to guarenteed loans but there will always be a market for "fast" cars..! Folks, the demise of the muscle car is near but fast cars are not. Engineers will be able to meet new green demands set up by governments. The technology already exsists but there is no demand so it's not being manufactured. Obama is no doubt the leader that will be at the forefront of the a new rule that seeks out to make the planet greener but he has a fromidable task at hand. Oil barons still have oil to sell and they still have a long arm into congress. Do not expect gas consumption to drop off asap. Certain entities want us to keep burning oil at a high rate. All said IMO ! If you are concerned save your money quick and buy one before they are gone ! :help:

:stang:

Boscoyo 04-30-2009 04:04 PM

Dont read too much into that article. It is just speculation on the author's part. Obama has stated several times that the government DOES NOT want to be in the automotive business. What they want is for GM to be viable and for that to happen GM has to put out vehicles that the public will buy, not vehicles that the politicians think we should drive. Dont forget that the best selling Chevy is still the Silverado, not exactly fuel efficient.

Zhawk 05-01-2009 12:38 PM

Calm, calm, calm

That article is so full of doublespeak that by the time you boil it all down, it says nothing.

Sierra 05-01-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenrail (Post 446931)
Take it easy my friend. That article is a rant full of wanton speculation. The Corvette is a class leader in terms of economy, efficiency, safety and one of the best examples of american technology on the road. And all that at half the price of most of its competition.

The key word here is "competition." The Camaro is every bit as competitive in its price range and class of vehicle.

Will there be changes ahead, more than likely yes. But only time and proper engineering will really tell the whole story.

:word:

Rallysport 05-01-2009 01:08 PM

Obama has stated several times that the government DOES NOT want to be in the automotive business. Yeah, right. What a load of :bs:

Mr. Wyndham 05-01-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rallysport (Post 449338)
Obama has stated several times that the government DOES NOT want to be in the automotive business. Yeah, right. What a load of :bs:

Why's that? Because you think otherwise? Because this article is "the truth"? :rolleyes:

vladkgb 05-01-2009 01:53 PM

like others said... relax. plus this was posted on AOL (lol).

They wont stop producing Vettes thats for sure i guara damn tee that. Vette is the american icon and very popular car even in Europe. They will make it more efficient with DI, turbo charging (sweet!), and light weight materials. Same goes for other high performance brands. They wont die, will just come out for efficient, with more restrictions on the motor which enthusiasts will remove and sell as scrap metal.