Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Oil odor a/c vents (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256714)

Zl1 #586 10-20-2012 08:36 PM

Oil odor a/c vents

Just had the first oil change after driving home from San Diego approx 120 mi.
Noticed slight odor of oil went to a friends shop and inspected every accessible area no drips no spills.went on another ride today,same thing.anybody else,any thoughts.

Jeff Boe 10-21-2012 08:46 AM

All the time,550 miles so far!

ZL1Dave 10-21-2012 11:56 AM

My car went through the exact same thing after first oil change at 1500 miles. Sat at dealer for 2 weeks until the engineers got involved and had the techs replace the rear main seal. Apparently its also a problem on some of the vette. We would smell burning oil after the car was up to temp and everytime we came to stop in like 30 second bursts. Its wasnt a constant odor of oil full time but was like the car was farting. There was no oil leaks on the car anywhere, just odor getting out of the RMS somehow. And yes the PCV system was fully checked and was working properly. You might have the same issue

Zl1 #586 10-21-2012 09:43 PM

Thanks looks like its back to then dealer

alyssasdad 10-22-2012 05:51 AM

I havnt smelled oil since I changed my oil but I do have a problem. When I have it on vent, all the way on the cold side,on recirc or not,it always blows warm air.Unless the temp is 50 or below,it seems to always blow warm air.:iono:

Chevrolet Customer Svc 10-22-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zl1 #586 (Post 5720998)
Thanks looks like its back to then dealer

Let us know the outcome. We are here at your convenience.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

BlackinBlack 10-22-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zl1 #586 (Post 5717600)
Just had the first oil change after driving home from San Diego approx 120 mi.
Noticed slight odor of oil went to a friends shop and inspected every accessible area no drips no spills.went on another ride today,same thing.anybody else,any thoughts.

I had this problem with my SS after its first oil change. The smell did disappear over time. Same deal. No noticeable leaks or drips. (Dealer and I personally checked) I had the car for three years and it never leaked but the oil smell would occur after an oil change sometimes but not every time...

Do a search on this site I am certain there has been a post or two about this. It is not a ZL1 issue but a Camaro issue. My guess is the HVAC fresh air inlet is near a vent. :iono:

ZL1Dave 10-23-2012 07:47 PM

With my oil smell issue I could smell it both inside a sealed up car and also outside of the car. With the engine running and the car on a lift myself and the dealer tech would get a wiff of oil smell coming from the tranny bellhousing every few minutes...but again no visible leaks were found and replacing the rear main seal seems to have fixed the issue

Vroom 11-10-2012 11:06 PM

I have this same problem. Seems to come and go when I come to a stop. Lasts a few seconds then seems to go away. I can't see any leaks or anything. The only place that seems to have a similar odor inside the engine compartment is the oil dipstick.

Misterleeman 02-06-2013 09:30 PM

Having the same problem. Burning smell.. almost like rubber. Its coming from the engine bay/under the car (front).

1500 miles.

-- Lee

LimaCharlie 02-06-2013 09:58 PM

SS owner here. I smell oil every time I change the oil. It is very faint (smell it mostly when stopped) and goes away after a couple weeks. Same with all of you....no visible leaks and nothing on the ground when parked for a while.
Makes me wonder if the oil is slightly overfilled or something?:iono:

mcchevy69ss 02-06-2013 10:46 PM

I have noticed the same issue after my first oil change.

PNYSLAR 02-07-2013 07:12 AM

same here, I changed the oil about 250 miles ago , 6000 total and have smelled oil buring ever since. I am going to pull the bottom cover off this weekend to see if I find an oil leak, but I don't see anything on the garage floor. I'll tag this thread and follow to see if anything is found to correct this issue.

DangerZL1 02-07-2013 09:24 AM

I always use Windex to dlean around the filter and drain plug before installing either of them in my cars after changing the oil. I hate smelling burning oil after a change. My '86 Monte Carlo SS always had the smell after an oil change too and I could never figure out why.