Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Rattle noise when engaging the clutch M6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101808)

ITGuy11 08-21-2010 10:43 PM

Rattle noise when engaging the clutch M6

When I engage the clutch at low speeds I get a rattle and shaking noise that seems like it is coming from the transmission when unloading the drivetrain.

Example driving 12mph in first gear, fully press the clutch and I hear and feel a rattle from the transmission. The sound is very audible from inside and outside of the car. Car has done this from day one and now has 730 miles on it. This sound is annoying and embarrassing.

Any suggestions before I contact the dealer? I don't want them to claim the noise is because of my MGW shifter. The noise was present with the stock shifter when I drove the car off of the lot.

HeaterMan 08-21-2010 11:03 PM

I noticed the exact same thing today and my dad heard it from outside the car and said it isnt right. my car is 100% stock, guess a trip to the dealer is in order

reason 08-21-2010 11:17 PM

i had same problem-
crawled under the car and tapped on everything i could till i finally tracked it down.

My Front and Rear O2 sensors on the passenger side of the vehicle had started to loosen up ( just 1 or 2 threads) but was enough to give them some play.

May want to just give them a check-

ITGuy11 08-22-2010 09:54 AM

I know the O2 sensors are tight, cause I installed them in my headers. This is much more than just a little rattle sound, you can feel it. It almost feels like the transmission mount is broken, but it looks okay.

MaxKamai 08-22-2010 01:41 PM

It's just the inertia from the drive line. It happens on the V6 as well. Usually at low speeds (1st or reverse) when clutch pedal is depressed quickly. According to the dealer...that is standard operation on our vehicles.

gtbaldini 08-22-2010 08:21 PM

Ya, I've got the same noise. Drivetrain clunk.

Orange Krate 08-22-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxKamai (Post 2247700)
It's just the inertia from the drive line. It happens on the V6 as well. Usually at low speeds (1st or reverse) when clutch pedal is depressed quickly. According to the dealer...that is standard operation on our vehicles.

:mad0260:

I can't believe this noise and vibration is normal coming from a new car. I have seen cars with manual trans and higher ratio rearends cause a shimmy when releasing the clutch. But what you are describing sounds like either a dry throwout bearing or u-joint issue. I am no mechanic and certainly not an expert on Gen 5's, but what you describe doesn't sound like an acceptable situation for a new car (unless it was hammered hard doing burnouts). Even with exceptional quality control (as GM has) there can be infantile failure in a batch of parts or even a singular unit. If the dealer you visit does lip service to your problem you may have to take it to another dealer who has a good drivetrain tech (preferably one that owns a Gen 5!). I hope that sounds reasonable to the experts in Camaro5! :bow:

americo 08-22-2010 08:46 PM

I have 2350 Km on my car and I have no noise or rattle at any speed during up sifting or down shifting.

JUISSD 08-23-2010 02:47 AM

Mine does the same exact thing. While under the car installing the shifter I didn't notice anything unusual.

v6sonoma 08-23-2010 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITGuy11 (Post 2246293)
When I engage the clutch at low speeds I get a rattle and shaking noise that seems like it is coming from the transmission when unloading the drivetrain.

Example driving 12mph in first gear, fully press the clutch and I hear and feel a rattle from the transmission. The sound is very audible from inside and outside of the car. Car has done this from day one and now has 730 miles on it. This sound is annoying and embarrassing.

Any suggestions before I contact the dealer? I don't want them to claim the noise is because of my MGW shifter. The noise was present with the stock shifter when I drove the car off of the lot.

Is it making a "clunk" when you lift the clutch pedal or when you depress it? If it's when you lift it it could be do to the IRS's slack when unloaded. If it's when you depress perhaps something is loose. :iono: If it doesn't happen when you drive and shift quickly it's most likely do to the slack caused by the slow speed.

Russell James 08-23-2010 06:48 AM

normal.

Every M6 car I've owned does it, and that has been tons of cars.

The driveline has to have a little play in it. Things like the ring and pinion, gears in the trans.... cannot be bound up tight, they have to have a little backlash. When you have a load on the driveline, and then release it quickly, it can give off some clunks.

Has nothing to do with IRS, all my solid axle Gen IV's did the same thing also.

HeaterMan 08-23-2010 08:14 AM

my car only does it when depressing the clutch. i have owned many manual trans equipped cars and never heard anything like this. i could understand the noise if it were when engaging the clutch if the driveline was not preloaded

Russell James 08-23-2010 08:45 AM

The title should probably say - disengaging clutch, as he says it happens when pushing the clutch in. Decelling with the clutch engaged has the engine braking load on the drivetrain. Pop the clutch in and you suddenly take all that load off the drivetrain and you hear all the clearances clank a bit. Those clearances have to be there, it's normal.

When building a trans or rear diff, you'll see a backlash/clearance spec for all those gears. If they were set up with zero backlash, it would quickly destroy itself.

ITGuy11 08-23-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 2249909)
The title should probably say - disengaging clutch, as he says it happens when pushing the clutch in. Decelling with the clutch engaged has the engine braking load on the drivetrain. Pop the clutch in and you suddenly take all that load off the drivetrain and you hear all the clearances clank a bit. Those clearances have to be there, it's normal.

When building a trans or rear diff, you'll see a backlash/clearance spec for all those gears. If they were set up with zero backlash, it would quickly destroy itself.

You are correct about the title, however I can't change it... I owned a 4th gen M6 and never had this noise when pressing in the clutch at low speeds. I don't feel that this noise/clunk is normal for a brand new car to make.
I just want some ammunition before I go to the dealer with it. I don't want them to say it is the shifter, cause it made the noise bone stock.