Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Spare tire... NOT!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159032)

y0diggity 07-16-2011 08:12 AM

Spare tire... NOT!!

I've searched and the term "spare tire" brings up roughly 27.3 bajillion results; none of which are what I'm looking for. Please forgive me if it's been asked before.
For those of you without a spare, have you had to use the repair kit thing? How did it work? Suggestions in case I ever need it?? Where is the thing??
Thanks folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell James 07-16-2011 08:19 AM

Think of the Camaro and Corvette as - ahead of the curve. As rediculous EPA CAFE standards ramp up more and more vehicles are ditching the spare to save weight. Not too long before a spare will be quite rare.

The fix a flat works perfect for a small leak like a nail. It's in the trunk under the battery cover. Big tire damage/blowout, your calling a flatbed. In this age of cell phones and OnStar, not really a biggie. Plus, if it is a biggie for someone's situation, they can buy a spare, jack, and wrench for the trunk.

Top Thrill 07-16-2011 08:20 AM

I can only tell you that it is in the trunk where the spair would be if you had one. I have the spair and I have not had to use it yet.

Aequitas & Veritas 07-16-2011 09:08 AM

Yeah, I took my spare out after the second thing in this list happened. Thought it would be a good idea to have one.

I've had a nail in mine. Drove to the dealership and had them patch it.

Second, I had a front right blow out then smashed into a curb. The tire was so shredded that I couldn't get the wheel off. Even If I could have ths spare wouldn't have helped since when my car hit the curb my front right suspension pieces got crushed.

Good thing for OnStar. Got a truck to me in under 10 min. So I just say stick with OnStar if anything happens they'll help you quickly. Plus they pay for the tow truck

thebighar 07-16-2011 09:40 AM

From what I am told that fix a flat can they give you makes a mess. I keep a plug kit that's been used twice so far and really works good til you get get a service station and get it patched. I didn't opt for the spare because I wouldn't be caught dead driving with a 10 inch donut on my car. Cell phones are everywhere if there is a problem call a tow truck.

meschwenk 07-16-2011 09:50 AM

Mine did not come with a spare either, but I got one for when I go on trips just in case I'm in the middle of nowhere with no phone service and onstar will take up to an hour or more to get to me. When I'm in town I have the fix a flat.

woodj 07-16-2011 09:59 AM

I've tried to purchase a spare and it can't be done for an SS wheel.

rocketman 12 07-16-2011 10:02 AM

The inflation kit works GREAT, I found this out in the first ten days of having the car.:mad0260: It does make a mess however, AND replacing it costs around 50-60 bucks if I remember correctly.

Sir Nuke 07-16-2011 10:25 AM

y0diggity, maybe you sould check into this.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=spare+SS

y0diggity 07-16-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 3477373)
y0diggity, maybe you sould check into this.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=spare+SS

Perfect. Thanks. Don't know if I really want to carry a spare, though. I can't find on ebay right now anyway. I was interested in how much they cost, but loke I said, there aren't any on there right now.

jtzako 07-16-2011 10:51 AM

The fix a flat kit in the car works for the right kind of problem.. It wont help if you have a large hole, tear or blowout. It will help for nail/screw punctures.

Regular spare tires wont fit if you have the Brembo brakes so the alternative is a full size spare, which is friggin heavy and really not worth it.

myold88 07-16-2011 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not worried about not having a spare locally but here's what I do on extended trips. I just put an extra front tire and wheel in the trunk of my SS. With suitcases and travel gear it's very secure back there. I have AAA also but don't want to get stuck on vacation trying to find a replacement tire.

y0diggity 07-16-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myold88 (Post 3477465)
I not worried about not having a spare locally but here's what I do on extended trips. I just put an extra front tire and wheel in the trunk of my SS. With suitcases and travel gear it's very secure back there. I have AAA also but don't want to get stuck on vacation trying to find a replacement tire.

This is what I was thinking of doing; just get another tire and wheel and my jack and lug wrench. I'm not worried about weight at all. Just the when I'm driving out of town, I don't want to have to deal with the hassles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlee 07-16-2011 11:12 AM

I am so glad GM had the NO SPARE option...:thumbsup:

It's almost completely worthless to carry a spare these days with cell phones TPMS sensors etc etc... Saves weight and the pump is great for putting air back in your tires when leaving the track...:thumbsup:

I can't believe anyone would even consider putting one in their SS.. JMHO