Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   extra battery for sub (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19126)

jordan 572 04-19-2009 12:12 PM

extra battery for sub

i am looking at a 13w7 pushing 1500 watts and was wondering if there is an space for an extra battery where the spare tire would have gone in the ss

CamaroSkooter 04-20-2009 10:05 AM

Well, that's where the battery is already, so I don't know if there's enough space to squeeze another battery in next to it, but if the location is similar in size to other vehicles that have the spare tire well, I can imagine you should be able to make it fit.

I just don't know how easy it'd be.

WildBeast15 04-22-2009 07:48 AM

at

at 1500 watts your really not going to need a batt... its not enough juice to kill anything esp when the batt is right next to the sub anyway... just upgrade that battery to a nice kinetic hc2400 or so... and youll be fine..

Gentry78 04-30-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBeast15 (Post 423834)
at 1500 watts your really not going to need a batt... its not enough juice to kill anything esp when the batt is right next to the sub anyway... just upgrade that battery to a nice kinetic hc2400 or so... and youll be fine..

500 dollars for a battery!!!?? hell no just get a optima for a lil over 100 bucks and get a ho alternator (and a big 3 upgrade if the camaro needs it) and you will still will be cheaper than the price for one of those

LS3SSRS 04-30-2009 09:24 AM

Make sure its an optima yellow top...lol I made the mistake of buying a red top

WildBeast15 05-01-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gentry78 (Post 445656)
500 dollars for a battery!!!?? hell no just get a optima for a lil over 100 bucks and get a ho alternator (and a big 3 upgrade if the camaro needs it) and you will still will be cheaper than the price for one of those

a optima is useless it really is... its just one step up from the stock... yes doing the big 3 will help but it all relys on the best batt... get a good batt and watch your car succeed from the start.. and have fun getting a h/o alt right now if anyone makes one yet....

CWI 05-03-2009 02:12 PM

A battery only STORES so much power. Amplifiers draw current, alternaters produce current. Batteries do not produce anything.
If your amp draws more power than you can give it, you NEED a larger alternator. Put 10 batteries in your car and you will still not have enough power after a given time if the amp draws more than the alternator produces. If your amp draws 60 amps and you only have 50 available, it will eventually draw the battery down.

If i don't give a welding rod enough amperage (current) it will not burn properly. If you don't give an amp enough (current) it will not function properly and or your lights will dim. It really has little to do with the battery.

CWI 05-03-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan 572 (Post 416702)
i am looking at a 13w7 pushing 1500 watts and was wondering if there is an space for an extra battery where the spare tire would have gone in the ss

Have you looked at the Alpine PDX series. Most amps are rated using peak power, not he PDX. I have two PDX 1.1000 amps, they both bench tested to a true RMS in excess of 1140 watts. Very clean, very efficient. They will run all day on a long trip and never get hot and they are stackable with other PDX amps. They are by far the best amps i've ever used.

RS/SS 05-03-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBeast15 (Post 448961)
a optima is useless it really is... its just one step up from the stock... yes doing the big 3 will help but it all relys on the best batt... get a good batt and watch your car succeed from the start.. and have fun getting a h/o alt right now if anyone makes one yet....

Good info! I'm running two HC1400 Kinetik batteries in my Dakota. Granted it's overkill for the amps I'm using, but I wanted to always have juice in the lanes during SQ competitions. I also run a Kinetik power supply to keep the batteries charged during shows.:thumbup:

I ran Optimas before I knew better.;)

Nexus6 05-03-2009 05:36 PM

1 farad capacitors will also help with the load

2010SSRS 05-03-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus6 (Post 454455)

:word:

Gentry78 05-11-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus6 (Post 454455)

true they will help balance the load(very briefly) but you really need a alt powerfull enough to supply the power needed to feed the amp,accesseries,battery,and recharge the cap to keep playing without lack of current needed to maintain performance. so yes a cap will help but if the current aint there that cap is going to cause bigger problems down the road,and you would have wasted your money on something you nolonger need with the proper alt