Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How Many Old Guys go Racing with their Son's (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657)

2K05GT 01-22-2008 10:08 PM

How Many Old Guys go Racing with their Son's

3 Attachment(s)
When my Son turned 15 he bought a 1988 Honda CRX si for 250.00 and started to fix it up, it had a long list of mechanical problems that he and I fixed over the year before he got his License. Well the next 2 years were Car Hell, It was like a cut from "Fast and the Furious" Freaky sticker scheams, large wings and over sized guages. The car had more cosmetic surgery then Michal Jackson and just a hidious. Well graduation came and I had a opportunity to get this eye sore out of the driveway and I gave him 3000.00 for a down payment on a car of his choice as long as he would not do that to a car again. he agreed and sold the hidious rice.

we search for a car in his price range and he picked a 2003 Laser Red Mustang. his payments were low and insurance for a V6 was managable for a 18 year old.

One day he was challenged to a race by a neighbor kid with a Ricer Acura and my Son told him to meet us at Old Dominion Drag Strip Wednesday, a local 1/8 mile track. (I tought him right).

Anyway Race day was here and the cars were ready, this is my Sons first time racing, We always went Drag Racing with my 2005 Mustang GT so he was interested in doing it as well but 1/4 was very scary for him.
he was nervious, you could see it in his actions, waiting in the staging lanes going over the shift paterns over and over, pressing the cluch in before every shift. Finally there turn, My son moves forward till the staging lights are lit, slowly bring the RPMS to 3000, the tree then starts it slow yellow decent and the 3rd yellow lights in quick but controlled release of the clutch the car rockets forward, and with almost with cat like reflexes he shifts through 2nd, then 3rd keeping the RPM high he passes the finish line and a Win Light, I was So proud of him at the moment, his first time driving at the track and the pass was flawless, he ran the 1/8 mile in 9.83 seconds. almost the best time for a SN95 3.8L V6 Mustang with a Dual Exhaust, Intake and Tune.

Ever since that day My Son and I hit the track as often as we can, it make a great Father / Son event and we are closer because of it.

Mindz 01-22-2008 10:28 PM

I have never raced on a track. I had a 97 Eclipse rs of which I was planning on making a sleeper, but loved the looks. I've been to a track several times, and I plan on taking my camaro to the track at least once to race with my stepfather's Porsche Carrera 4 Cab up at thunderhill or Infineon. Maybe even drag it when I learn to launch well at Sears Point. I think it'd be great. My brother and I are 2.5 year off and I think it'd be more likely that he and I will race our cars together though.

Jeff 01-22-2008 11:42 PM

I know where your coming from.. Ever since i was a little kid my dad use to take me to Alamo Dragway when he had his first rear engine dragster. It was great to experience as a kid. After the years I grew up, and Alamo Dragway closed. Then came River City Raceways which is now called San Antonio Raceway. There he got Greg Hubel to build him a brand new dragster. We raced at San Antonio Raceway for years with it at went to all the division races together. During all of that I have never felt closer to my father honestly. It brought us closer to our friends as well, the owners of O'Bryant Automotive, Alamo Performance, Menike Mufflers would all pit together. Was one of the funnest things in my life. I know one day when I have kids I'm going to do the same for them. :]

TAG UR IT 01-22-2008 11:48 PM

I can't wait to take my boy to the track and to a Super Chevy Show. The raw power of the cars will amaze him! And, when he gets older, I sure hope he keeps his enthusiasm for cars like I have. I will take him every chance I get to the track. I'll race him...watch him race others, give him pointers, help him work on his car....oh yeah...YOU BET!

I almost can't wait. But, I can wait, ya know? I love this 3 year old age. He's just so perfect and so innocent. He talks back a bit, but hey...that's the late "terrible two's" coming out. Boy does he love cars.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...S/100_2859.jpg

09'Z28 01-23-2008 01:22 AM

every so often me and my dad go to the tracks mindz mentioned(Thunderhill Raceway Park and Infineon Raceway) he's got a '92 BMW 325is and i think you can figure mine out

:burnrubber: :burnrubber:

Mindz 01-23-2008 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09'Z28 (Post 41045)
every so often me and my dad go to the tracks mindz mentioned(Thunderhill Raceway Park and Infineon Raceway) he's got a '92 BMW 325is and i think you can figure mine out

:burnrubber: :burnrubber:

Next time you go, gimme a holler. I'll go if it's a friday or saturday. I don't work on those days.:happyanim:

09'Z28 01-23-2008 01:47 AM

well we usually try to go to midweek events(less people) but if we do go to a weekend event i'll let ya know but that won't be for a while cause both of our cars are out of commission(his has the whole rear-end pulled out and mine doesn't really like cold weather that much so i don't drive it during the winter the battery is also dead)

Mindz 01-23-2008 02:07 AM

lol.

SSmoked 01-23-2008 04:34 PM

iv raced my dad in daytona at dragstrip park. there were 2 set up drag cars on a rail, on a short straight track. hehehe i beat him off the hole shot but he took it at the end. good ol times