Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Wheels/Tires (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Adding air to tires (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268089)

Skylane765 12-29-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambo3 (Post 5969416)
I would beg to differ with the thinking re; nitrogen. We purchased nitrogen machines in some dealerships we owned. I installed nitrogen in all my performance cars and it held an absolute pressure cold or hot and did not require adding more nitrogen or air for nearly 12 months in my Porsche turbo as an example. I am a nut about tire pressure and check it offen. If an installer has a good nitrogen machine it first cycles out all the air, and then it installs the nitrogen to the set pressure. Nitrogen is 99% dry and therefore is not technically affected by ambient air temps. Tires also carry less heat in hot temps with nitrogen.

got any info that backs up the tire hold less heat with nitrogen? Nitrogen can be heated just like all other gases.

OldScoolCamaro 12-29-2012 09:49 PM

....I use my air compressor and ad moisture laden O2 to my ZL1 tires when they get low, so....is that a bad thing? Do I go any less faster or cause any harm to my rims or tires? Am I causing harm to anything other than my credit card balance for doing same? What's the risk/reward for doing the cheap air versus the alternate route. I am not gonna race a full weekend on a road course. I've done the air compressor route forever with no harm. It's champagne versus beer. Drink what you can afford I guess, or whatever works best for you.

Skylane765 12-29-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 5970392)
....I use my air compressor and ad moisture laden O2 to my ZL1 tires when they get low, so....is that a bad thing? Do I go any less faster or cause any harm to my rims or tires? Am I causing harm to anything other than my credit card balance for doing same? What's the risk/reward for doing the cheap air versus the alternate route. I am not gonna race a full weekend on a road course. I've done the air compressor route forever with no harm. It's champagne versus beer. Drink what you can afford I guess, or whatever works best for you.

It will be fine, the air will be ok for the tires. I think it is all a snake oil gig to make money.

Just like the fix all transmission oil that will fix your transmission for $15. It crazy.
Tires will be worn out before any air would hurt them.

14pilot 12-29-2012 09:57 PM

Dealers put nitrogen in new car tires to entice you to come back to their service departments for free fills. And while you are there already, why not have them do your other maintenance too?

For a street car as my is, I just running 80% nitrogen. A lot simpler than running 100% for me.

Skylane765 12-29-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14pilot (Post 5970429)
Dealers put nitrogen in new car tires to entice you to come back to their service departments for free fills. And while you are there already, why not have them do your other maintenance too?

For a street car as my is, I just running 80% nitrogen. A lot simpler than running 100% for me.

Yea, what's next? Helium to have less un sprung weight?

stlrammer 12-29-2012 10:10 PM

If you live in St. Louis please read this post regarding your summer only tires.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187045

Nitro in your tires may be least of your worries. Then again, if you are parking your car for the winter you can disregard this post. BTW, your ZL1 is beautiful. Very nice color.

OldScoolCamaro 12-29-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlrammer (Post 5970486)
If you live in St. Louis please read this post regarding your summer only tires.

Nitro in your tires may be least of your worries. Then again, if you are parking your car for the winter you can disregard this post. BTW, your ZL1 is beautiful. Very nice color.

...all good info and your link is a C5 sticky, the tires will not fail if you drive the car conservatively...i.e. like any every day car. The tires are cautioned for performance use, or any use for that matter, under cold condtions. They are going beyond temp recomendations or commom sense rules for product liability. It's an over caution statement to cover warranty. Granted, we all know they are summer tires. If the roads are dry and clear, and cold, drive the car, under any temp by my recomendation. But drive NORMAL. Not with performance in mind. If you go slow and steady, I see no reason for not operating the vehicle if you want to. Granted the tires will not perform under cold weather performance conditions and will fail.

ZL12013 12-29-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlrammer (Post 5970486)

Thanks, I been following the tire saga since I bought the car, it's in the garage when the temp is less than 40 degrees, it is not my daily driver. I can't say I had any issues when it is cold I don't drive aggressive and I keep a couple of car lengths in front for stopping, I have to admit it doesn't take anything to break the tires loose.

It is suppose to be around 40 degrees tomorrow, I'll probably take it out for a few hours, it is almost like therapy for me, I jump back in time and don't care about anything. I had cancer about 7 years ago, I was in my early 40's, nothing is guaranteed in life.

OldScoolCamaro 12-29-2012 10:59 PM

....that's true, cold weather and traction are bitter enemies, ....but,...this car can be driven in such a docile manner that it's a non issue. The ZL1, as it is, is an engineering marvel. It can be driven in rain, shine, warm or cold conditions, by any skill level staying within their comfort level. It can do it all. Snow/ice puts it out of operating conditions tire wise I would safely say, although we will hear tales told about that at some point I imagine.