Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   L99 to LS3 Conversion Question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195146)

orangejuice 01-12-2012 08:51 AM

L99 to LS3 Conversion Question

Hey guys, I have ran across guys converting there L99 to LS3's and read about all the parts needed and stuff. But why exactly are guys doing it and what is the big difference? Sounds like a newbie question but im really curious

ron10 01-12-2012 09:03 AM

most people do if they are changeing the cam.due to afm the L99 lifters,rocker arms,etc. will not take the higher lift.so you basicly change to a LS3 or better set up.which means you also have to pull the heads.

JDP Tech 01-12-2012 10:52 AM

Exactly, the only real reason to convert is to change the cam out to a bigger better cam. You could do it just to get rid of Active Fuel Management and its associated lifters which are seemingly prone to failure, but putting a stock LS3 cam back in it would not be worth the labor spent in the conversion.
I converted mine and am super happy with it. More power, more dependable, no more AFM drone that most people complain about (even though I never had a problem with it on my car).

Feel free to call, email, or PM us anytime!
- Jeremy :chevy:

mgoodbar 01-13-2012 02:17 PM

Ok, So I have AFM turned off on my L99, Would it hurt anything for me to go ahead and remove the heads and just replace all the lifters with LS7 lifters for now??

I will have a little bit of extra money after i get my headders next month and was planing to just go ahead and get the lifters, buckets, and head gaskets + ARP bolts.. Would I need anything else to go ahead and do the top??????

I am not really sure I want to cam the car, but I do want to ditch the lifters..

mgoodbar 01-13-2012 02:18 PM

:yikes: oops sorry for tread jacking...:D

camslambam 01-13-2012 02:24 PM

The l99 lifters are what you would call the little girl in the car. Bigger cams require higher revs, and the l99 lifters fail at high rpm.

An LS3 conversion gives you much more reliability.

camslambam 01-13-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgoodbar (Post 4315127)
Ok, So I have AFM turned off on my L99, Would it hurt anything for me to go ahead and remove the heads and just replace all the lifters with LS7 lifters for now??

I will have a little bit of extra money after i get my headders next month and was planing to just go ahead and get the lifters, buckets, and head gaskets + ARP bolts.. Would I need anything else to go ahead and do the top??????

I am not really sure I want to cam the car, but I do want to ditch the lifters..

Like I mentioned before, why do you want to ditch lifters?

The only reason lifters fail is due to rpm increase, and you won't be revving to 7k+ unless you put a bigger cam in. My car shifts at 7100 and I can get it to 7200-7300 in paddle shift. That's why I ls3 conversion. If I hadn't gotten my cam, no reason to switch lifters.

mgoodbar 01-13-2012 02:54 PM

Well I was just thinking safty, my shift point right now is 6200.. moved up from the 6000. and If I did do a cam later it would be less for me to do at one time.. I was just wondering if it would hurt anything for me to do it..

Im not the original poster of this fourm.. I was looking at a VVT2 cam maybe next year... If I went ahead and did the lifters, that would only leave the can/oil pump. timing set/ later on ... ??? Do you just think i should wait , being no need unless i do change the cam? or if a lifter fales change them then?? I do know if I do a cam wile i have the heads off they will get ported...

mgoodbar 01-13-2012 02:55 PM

7100 oowwww bet that sounds killer...

Jekyll-N-Hyde 01-13-2012 03:06 PM

I decided to have ADM performance take care of my conversion. I wanted a more reliable engine with a chompy idling Cam with the power.
Andy removed the L99 BS ( lifters converted to LS7 lifters ) no more DOD and all that crap. We also milled my heads to raise the compression so now my compression is higher and im running a larger cam with a lift I couldnt have gotten with a L99 setup.

Most will say I did my conversion to get a larger lopey sounding cam.

To me a LS3 is proven and its been around for a while. I Yes I know VVT and all of that is showing power but I'm thinking down the road and for what my plans were/are and may even go further ;) a LS3 was right for me :thumbsup:

mgoodbar 01-13-2012 03:19 PM

Kinda figured I could save me some money if I did the top end and had someone later do the other.. IDK, I was just wondering about it...

I was trying to stick with the VVT to keep cost down...

camslambam 01-13-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgoodbar (Post 4315396)
Well I was just thinking safty, my shift point right now is 6200.. moved up from the 6000. and If I did do a cam later it would be less for me to do at one time.. I was just wondering if it would hurt anything for me to do it..

Im not the original poster of this fourm.. I was looking at a VVT2 cam maybe next year... If I went ahead and did the lifters, that would only leave the can/oil pump. timing set/ later on ... ??? Do you just think i should wait , being no need unless i do change the cam? or if a lifter fales change them then?? I do know if I do a cam wile i have the heads off they will get ported...

Failure point for lifters has been pinpointed when shifting over 6200. You're right at that cut off point.

mgoodbar 01-13-2012 06:51 PM

Hmmm... well I have actuall went over a couple times at the track. this was using the tap shift. If I shift at 5,800 /// 6,000 exactly I am ok. but if I wait to 6,100 it will hit 6,500 and fall on its face then shift. It was kinda scary dong that ... I think I would be safe to say I just need to change them... That way I dont have to worry about a woops. BANG, CLICK CLICK CLICK.... that would suck... If I remember right I think I can change them out for about 4 or 5 hundred bucks... Ok done deal...... thanks..

blackswan 02-18-2012 07:24 PM

NOOB: Can an auto be ordered with LS3 or only with L99?