Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   VETTE ZR1 REVEALED!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2334)

Scotsman 12-19-2007 04:30 PM

VETTE ZR1 REVEALED!!!

http://images.leftlanenews.com/conte...tte-zr1-14.jpg

Scotsman 12-19-2007 04:34 PM

PR

Quote:

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 unveiled

December19

After years of speculation, spy photos, and rumors, General Motors has finally revealed its 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, which will be on display at the Detroit auto show in January. As expected, the ZR1 is the most powerful and most expensive Corvette model ever.

An all-new LS9 motor produces 620 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 595 pound-feet of torque at 4000 rpm. Delivering 100 horsepower per liter, the supercharged 6.2-liter V8 is mated to a close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox with a new high-capacity clutch designed for the increased power. The twin-disc 260mm design provides plenty of clamping power, while maintaining a relatively easy clutch action.

GM has not disclosed specific performance numbers, but the company admits a top speed of 200 mph is very likely. In terms of acceleration, the ZR1 will most definitely beat its Z06 counterpart, thanks to a 115-horsepower output advantage. Since the Z06 rockets to 60 mph in just 3.6 seconds, it's a safe bet the ZR1 will be much closer to the 3.0 mark. Final numbers will be announced in March 2008.

"It all boils down to the power-to-weight ratio and the ZR1’s is exceptional," said Chevy's Ed Peper. "Better than the Porsche 911 GT2, the Ferrari 599 and even the Lamborghini LP640. In fact, the ZR1 is expected to be the first production Corvette to achieve a top speed of at least 200 mph."

GM used the Z06 chassis as a starting point, but further tuned the front and rear independent suspension to work with the ZR1's ultra-wide tires for increased grip. According to GM, the car achieves 1g cornering grip.

Exotic looks, exotic materials

The use of carbon fiber is pretty extensive throughout the ZR1. The wider fenders are made of the material, as are the hood, roof panel, roof bow, front fascia splitter and rocker moldings.

The roof and front fascia splitter have a raw carbon fiber appearance with a protective clear coat. The hood is painted like the rest of the car, but the underside is exposed carbon-fiber-weave for increased novelty.

Another standout feature of the hood is a clear polycarbonate "window" that provides a view of the top of the engine’s intercooler, with embossed "LS9 Supercharged" lettering.

Brakes, tires, and wheels

The ZR1 has the largest wheels ever of any production Corvette — not just in diameter, but in width also. The rims measure 20 inches in rear diameter and 19 inches up front. Rear width is a whopping 12 inches, while the front wheels are nearly as massive at 10 inches of width.

In terms of wheel finish, a bright silver paint coat is standard and a chrome version is optional.

The matching Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires measure P285/30ZR19 in front and P335/25ZR20 in the rear. While Michelin's PS2 tires are offered on many vehicles, these were engineered specifically for the ZR1, GM says.

The car's braking system features carbon-ceramic rotors measuring 15.5 inches up front and 15 inches at the rear. GM says the rotors are so durable they should not requiring replacement for the life of the vehicle.

Squeezing the dics are six-piston front calipers and four-piston rear calipers, painted in ZR1-exclusive blue.

Adjustable suspension

The ZR1 comes with GM's Magnetic Selective Ride Control (MSRC) suspension system. The MSRC shocks are automatically adjusted based on driving conditions and vehicle dynamics (cornering, braking, etc) for optimal handling. The system is adjusted every milisecond to provide sharp handling during spirited driving, and a smooth ride while cruising.

While the ZR1 is overall a more aggressive sports car than the Z06, it is actually less harsh over bumps, thanks to the MSRC technology. “The damping control of MSRC allowed for front and rear springs that have a slightly lower rate than the Z06, which enhances the car’s ride quality,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer.

Optional premium interior features

There is very little optional equipment on the ZR1. Aside from the aforementioned chrome wheels, the only other optional equipment is a premium interior package. The kit includes power-adjustable leather-trimmed sport seats, leather-wrapped interior elements (including the dashboard), a navigation system, and Bluetooth connectivity. The interior leather treatments are available in four colors.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-corvette-zr1.html

z28camaro2471 12-19-2007 04:49 PM

HOT!!!! WAY TOO HOT!! I need to sell EVERYTHING I own today. Ok, maybe a little drastic but I'm in LOVE!

:happyanim: :wub: :bow: :tweetz: :burnrubber: :character0182:

Jeff 12-19-2007 05:03 PM

Wow my dad is defiantly getting a ZR-1 Vette instead of a Camaro now..

and im not going to lie.. I would rather pay the extra money for that vette too..

z28camaro2471 12-19-2007 06:04 PM

Somebody help me! I can't stop looking at this car! HELP!

Jeff 12-19-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 (Post 35377)
Somebody help me! I can't stop looking at this car! HELP!

Already printed out the article and 4 pictures of it. Going to show everyone tomorrow lol.

Mr. Wyndham 12-19-2007 06:21 PM

Oh, I can't believe we're talking about the LS2 again...:reposthorse:

Okay. Next thread.....Ah, another ZR-1 thread? :mad0260:.......................:confused0068::hel p:I'm seeing things....refresh page.................:confused0068:

Oh My GOD!!!!!!!! Look at that intercooler, Look at that CAR!!! The blue, the spoiler...spoilers!!!

I'm gonna faint.......:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thank s::thanks:
Hahaha!!! 620hp!!! Take that! Freaking Viper, with your 600hp, 8L V10!!! HA!

LSxcellent 12-19-2007 06:32 PM

Can you believe it!

100hp/liter from a 6.2L pushrod V8! That is just nuts!

3300lbs/620hp = 5.3lbs/hp!!! :happyanim:

COOMMEAR Mr. GTR... I got something for ya! :paddle:

I'd wager this is going to be a great year for Corvette...

~LSx

Pencil.Fight 12-19-2007 06:33 PM

I can honestly say I'd still prefer the Camaro. But I guess I've never been much of a Corvette guy anyway. Now, if we were talking about a Mako with the same specs, that'd be a different story.

Emher 12-19-2007 06:34 PM

It is hot. Love that it has the reverse mohawk like the Camaro :D But I'd rather get the Camaro since I can actually afford it and I do actually like the shapes better.

Makes me happy though that with the Vette getting 620 hp, that means they can go higher on the Camaro :headbang:

Mr. Wyndham 12-19-2007 06:41 PM

:drool: :drool:
Jalopnik posted this :sm0::
"In case anyone's wondering -- the magazine and website all about the Trend in Motors are the sleazy bunch of d-bags who broke the embargo seven hours early. We just followed suit. We'll have more time to talk about that later -- now go and read the press release and look at the pretty pictures."

AND, this thing uses the new 6th-gen Eaton (or Magnacharger) for anybody who follows this stuff. Supposed to be extremely efficient.

headpunter 12-19-2007 07:19 PM

i got a boner when i saw that hood with the window in it, no joke......

Aries 12-19-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxcellent (Post 35384)
Can you believe it!

100hp/liter from a 6.2L pushrod V8! That is just nuts!

3300lbs/620hp = 5.3lbs/hp!!! :happyanim:

COOMMEAR Mr. GTR... I got something for ya! :paddle:

I'd wager this is going to be a great year for Corvette...

~LSx

If it was normally aspirated I'd be impressed, but being supercharged and getting 100hp/liter is not that big of a deal. Still a cool car though.

Moose 12-19-2007 09:52 PM

Just a little "busy" looking for my tastes.

I still prefer the new Camaro, based on a couple of things;

1. I like what I see regarding the styling better.

2. I doubt I'll be able to afford the ZR1 any time soon.

3. I've always been a 'Camaro fanatic'. :thumbsup: