Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   First Oil Change (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289978)

Trixdout 04-17-2013 06:26 PM

First Oil Change

I'm going to get my first oil change soon. I was wondering if I should go to the dealership and do it or go through place like Jiffy or so?

chathen613 04-17-2013 06:34 PM

Do it yourself! Save A LOT over dealership! Did my first one a couple weeks ago, it was super simple with this thread!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79739

Chevrolet Customer Svc 04-17-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trixdout (Post 6435866)
I'm going to get my first oil change soon. I was wondering if I should go to the dealership and do it or go through place like Jiffy or so?

Hello Trixdout,

If you are not doing it yourself, we recommend you going to a GM authorized dealership for maintenance. This helps to ensure the process is done correctly and also if there are any other issues; it is documented and taken care of properly. If you would like, I can also help to locate a dealer nearest you and make an appointment for you. Here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care.

2fullgarage 04-18-2013 12:56 PM

I just picked my new '13 Camaro up on Saturday (about time)..Dealer offered service for the first year, includes oil changes. They got it figured at 7500 miles with this new synthetic blend they have..The dealers regular price is actually pretty good around $34 with free tire rotation. Compared to the hassle of doing it yourself..ie, buying everything, jacking up the car, draining, changing the filter and then disposing of the waste..I waste and hour minimum doing it myself and trust the GM tech more than myself

KSX 04-18-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 6436764)
Hello Trixdout,

If you are not doing it yourself, we recommend you going to a GM authorized dealership for maintenance. This helps to ensure the process is done correctly and also if there are any other issues; it is documented and taken care of properly. If you would like, I can also help to locate a dealer nearest you and make an appointment for you. Here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care.

^

ActNup NY 04-19-2013 09:12 AM

Do it yourself !!! I did (first time) and I never change anything in my life ! Great experience. GL :)

baum 04-19-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fullgarage (Post 6438868)
I just picked my new '13 Camaro up on Saturday (about time)..Dealer offered service for the first year, includes oil changes. They got it figured at 7500 miles with this new synthetic blend they have..The dealers regular price is actually pretty good around $34 with free tire rotation. Compared to the hassle of doing it yourself..ie, buying everything, jacking up the car, draining, changing the filter and then disposing of the waste..I waste and hour minimum doing it myself and trust the GM tech more than myself

was that the synthetic blend price? if so that was good. or is that their basic type of oil?

JohnnyBfromPeoria 04-19-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baum (Post 6442461)
or is that their basic type of oil?

The dealership has to use a Dexos approved oil, so it's at least a synthetic blend. I haven't heard of any "basic" oil being Dexos approved.

John B.

Trivera 05-15-2013 07:07 PM

When I did my first oil change I asked the auto parts guy what dexos oil is better mobil 1 or pennzoil platinum and he had no idea what I was talking about and I had to explain to him what it is so I just went for mobile 1

SimpleGreen 05-15-2013 07:32 PM

I personally don't trust the quick lube places. Having personally known the caliber of people those places employ at times...I'd rather not test the odds. I don't go to the dealer just because I'm not paying for something I can do myself. A set of ramps, and catch pan, a 14MM wrench (drain plug) and a 22MM socket (oil filter cap) and your set. With the amount of driving I do, it's about twice a year oil changes. Mobil 1 and a Wix filter. Less than $40 per change.

KaBoom1701 05-15-2013 10:13 PM

Change it yourself!

It's a great bonding experience with your car!

Chris97b 05-15-2013 10:37 PM

Not sure I would recommend a dealer. Call around if you want, but pound for pound they've always been more expensive in my experience.

If you feel up to the task, as others have mentioned, it's a fairly simple driveway job, just make sure you have a catch pan or some other way of dealing with 2 gallons of old oil :)

Any lube shop can handle it as well, just make sure they're using decent oil and filters. If you're concerned about it you can always bring your own oil and filter to most places as well (it usually costs a bit less this way too, depending on their synthetic markup).

On the whole as long as you go with a good 5-30 synthetic and decent filter, you can't go wrong :)

Kessler 05-16-2013 08:30 PM

I just had mine done. I took a book to the dealer. Sat in air conditioning while they changed oil, reset oil meter, checked other fluids, topped of my wiper fluid, checked air in tires, rotated tires, and checked for any other problems that might be out of my mind.

Cost? Nothing, just the gas and time to get me there and back home. Even took me towards end of shift cause I could not make the morning appointment they gave.

Was worth it for me to stay clean and not have to look of where to dispose of the used stuff.

But, when I was younger, hot oil dripping down my arm was a badge of honor.. ;-)

TooCool5 05-16-2013 08:46 PM

For Warranty purposes, keep all receipts on self oil changes.
Having the dealer do it is added insurance as the record is with them.