Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Garage / Tools Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Electric impact wrench? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263059)

IPT 11-28-2012 03:42 AM

Electric impact wrench?

Well all these sales seem to have left me in a buying frenzy. Living in AK I'll do wheel swaps on three cars, twice a year. I already have some Impact drivers for wood working, fairly powerful ones. Though I'd need some adapter to get a half inch socket on there. Instead of trying to use a tool for a purpose it's not intended, what do you think of something like this? http://www.harborfreight.com/12-elec...nch-68099.html

NoSloSS 11-28-2012 09:56 AM

I think you'd be better with a good air impact. The electric ones just don't have the power to do the same jobs. Also you probably deal with a lot of road salt and grit up there which will make the lugs a bit more difficult to remove. You can find used impact guns pretty cheap and even get them at home improvement stores for a decent price. Another consideration is the PSI of your compressor, the higher the PSI the better torque your gun will have. The smaller the compressor the less PSI usually. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPT (Post 5855022)
Well all these sales seem to have left me in a buying frenzy. Living in AK I'll do wheel swaps on three cars, twice a year. I already have some Impact drivers for wood working, fairly powerful ones. Though I'd need some adapter to get a half inch socket on there. Instead of trying to use a tool for a purpose it's not intended, what do you think of something like this? http://www.harborfreight.com/12-elec...nch-68099.html

bandier 11-28-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSloSS (Post 5855665)
I think you'd be better with a good air impact. The electric ones just don't have the power to do the same jobs. Also you probably deal with a lot of road salt and grit up there which will make the lugs a bit more difficult to remove. You can find used impact guns pretty cheap and even get them at home improvement stores for a decent price. Another consideration is the PSI of your compressor, the higher the PSI the better torque your gun will have. The smaller the compressor the less PSI usually. Good luck.

Cool thanks. I learned something new. I didn't know about the higher PSI thing. I have my grandpa's old impact wrech and it wasn't doing the job, maybe I gotta turn up the pressure. I think I had it fairly low.

Angrybird 12 11-28-2012 10:12 AM

I have one and it works good for removing lug nuts. I have had it for 10 years and have never had a problem removing any. I keep it in the trunk just in case I need it. How it gets its impact is it spins a weight and when it reaches a certain speed it locks onto the shaft and hammers the socket like a air impact wrench. It is definitely slower than a air impact wrench, but faster and easier to use than a lug wrench.

IPT 11-28-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 5855730)
I have one and it works good for removing lug nuts. I have had it for 10 years and have never had a problem removing any. I keep it in the trunk just in case I need it. How it gets its impact is it spins a weight and when it reaches a certain speed it locks onto the shaft and hammers the socket like a air impact wrench. It is definitely slower than a air impact wrench, but faster and easier to use than a lug wrench.

You have the one I posted in the link, or another electric one?

Angrybird 12 11-28-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPT (Post 5856447)
You have the one I posted in the link, or another electric one?

No mine is actually a 12VDC model. So I can carry it with me and not have to rely on a 120VAC outlet to use. It is just designed to remove lug nuts. The one you linked is for more than just removing lug nuts and is heavier duty than what I have. Still if all you are going to use it for is removing your lug nuts it will more than likely be fine as long as you are close to a power source.

IPT 11-28-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSloSS (Post 5855665)

I do actually have a compressor, but it's one of the small pancake ones from PC. Doesn't seem like it would be much better than the electric one, or would it?

Springerrob 12-14-2012 03:47 PM

I have the Craftsman electric impact and it works great for removing the 140ft/lbs Camaro lugs. Makes removing them easy Torque wrench for putting them back though!

Synner 12-15-2012 11:06 AM

Got a kobalt for cheap when Lowes was out of Dewalts and I needed something immediately. Works great on subframe bolts and lugs. The only other higher torque rating on the car is axles but I haven't had a reason to take them out yet.

Whatever you do don't get Harbor Freight air tools. I've tried 2 and returned both because they had zero torque. Most of their electric stuff is ok but a bit more vibration and no bells and whistles compared to name brands.

bee sting 12-15-2012 11:56 AM

I bought the harbor freight electric 1/2 impact about 2 months ago and Very pleased with it . Cost me $39 with sales ad coupon . I've did 2 lowering spring jobs and many wheels on an off with No issues ! We tried my buddies Brand New Craftsman cordless 1/2 impact and wouldn't break a lug nut loose .
For the money it's well worth it . Only draw back I have is once you push the froward/reverse button it's not variable speed.. Its wide open ! Just be careful when the lug nut comes off . Tool keeps spinning...

IPT 12-24-2012 04:06 PM

well I opted for the Craftsman 19V. It got decent ratings on the Car and Driver write up. I get sick of flinging a cord out of the way all the time. If it doesn't do the job I might go with the HF corded. I won't need it until spring though, car is stored :(.

rockrau 12-29-2012 10:40 AM

De Walt

cordless 300#ft torque but $$$$,not in my budget now.DCF889L2 $319 Acme tools.

Rhyno81 01-09-2013 08:01 PM

Craftsman 19.2 1/2 gun is awesome i use it everyday at work. Easily breaks lugs loose that are torqued to 140 ftlbs or more. I recommend the Lithium Ion batteries over the NiCads for sure. Little more longevity and consistency

Rcfiddy1 02-02-2013 06:32 PM

I just got the ingersoll rand 20v battery impact gun and its a wrist breaker. 1100 ft-lb of nut busting power and 780 ft-lb of reverse nut busting power. Cant beat it.