Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Hood damage from wipers (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221631)

strych9 05-05-2012 10:51 AM

Hood damage from wipers

This has probably been posted somewhere here (but couldn't find it), but regardless I figured someone could benefit from my stupidity.

What you see below is what you'll end up doing if you open your hood while the wiper arms are up in the "cleaning" position. I'm repairing a 2" paint scrape on the right side, and repairing a vinyl stripe on the left. Those wiper arms have no mercy on that hood edge. Not the kinda thing I wanted to be doing @ 1200 miles. Sad thing is, I made a mental note NOT to leave the wipers up two washes ago. I was daydreaming and this is the result.

You 5th gen veterans are probably well aware of this, but I figured I'd post for the new guys like me. :facepalm:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=80622

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=80623

90503 05-05-2012 10:58 AM

Don't feel bad...I had my car up on stands for an oil change. Hood was up, and I almost wiped it out with the opener mechanism when I brought the garage door down! (Caught it just in the knick of time!...lol)

austinjames 05-05-2012 10:59 AM

sorry to hear of this happening. Now ill keep it in the back of my mind, and hopefully it wont happen to me. thanks for the words and pictures of wisdom

kjkjr27 05-05-2012 11:00 AM

Been there done that :(

CyberBri 05-05-2012 11:06 AM

i did this last month

hawk02 05-05-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strych9 (Post 4915502)
This has probably been posted somewhere here (but couldn't find it), but regardless I figured someone could benefit from my stupidity.

What you see below is what you'll end up doing if you open your hood while the wiper arms are up in the "cleaning" position. I'm repairing a 2" paint scrape on the right side, and repairing a vinyl stripe on the left. Those wiper arms have no mercy on that hood edge. Not the kinda thing I wanted to be doing @ 1200 miles. Sad thing is, I made a mental note NOT to leave the wipers up two washes ago. I was daydreaming and this is the result.

You 5th gen veterans are probably well aware of this, but I figured I'd post for the new guys like me. :facepalm:

If it's any consolation, I did the same thing to my first convertible. Right around the same mileage too. Not a single paint chip or mark on the wiper blades. Nope, the hood took all the brunt of it. Like yours, I had about a 2" scrape on the back edge of the hood on the passenger side and a 1/4" chip on the curve of the hood scoop on the drivers side.

I applied touch up paint every day for almost a month and then had a body shop wet sand the spots. Didn't like the way it turned out so I ended up biting the bullet and having the hood repainted. The hood looked good as new afterward.

strych9 05-05-2012 11:13 AM

Fortunately, it's all on the edge. I realized what was happening before I went to far with the hood. It should repair up nicely, and nobody would have noticed it but me. I take a little solace in knowing I'm not alone in my blunder. It's very easy to do, actually.

Still, I feel like a complete idiot. :mad0260:

Ladybugsmom 05-05-2012 11:32 AM

I did the same thing... And because of the custom paint (scratch went through about 9 layers of paint, all the way to the metal), the only way to fix it without it looking like a scab was to re-paint the whole hood. almost $900 later, and I know I'll never do that again!!!

fbodfather 05-05-2012 12:44 PM

Ouch!

If it makes you feel any better - doing that with a 4th gen would have in all likelihood broken the windshield!

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

(........not that I'd have ever done something like that......:(

hotrodsally 05-05-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather (Post 4915900)
Ouch!

If it makes you feel any better - doing that with a 4th gen would have in all likelihood broken the windshield!

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

(........not that I'd have ever done something like that......:(

Yikes!

Almost screwed up my Firebird like that - as I was raising the hood, my neighbor hollered at me to stop, just in time. Whewwww.

nyrfan 05-05-2012 01:12 PM

Lots of us have done that, probably more then will admit. Lucky for me there was no damage, not even the 2 time. There will not be a 3rd time!

Sent from my 2LT/RS using Tapatalk

awfarley 05-05-2012 01:12 PM

That would make me sick. It's one of those horror stories that happens and you think,"That'll never happen to me." Then that fateful day...BAM!!

Best of luck with that repair

maverickmage 05-05-2012 01:19 PM

Yup. Happened to me too. Man, was that embarrassing.

90503 05-05-2012 01:27 PM

It's not totally the owner's or the wiper's fault!...Has anybody opened their hood as much with another car compared to these?...lol...Its GM's fault for making a car that we want to admire the engine so much!!!...lol