Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   TUNE? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291702)

HaulnJ 04-26-2013 12:31 PM

TUNE?

I see posts talking about new tunes when long tube headers and other mods are done. Who supplies the software? Can it be done plug and play or is it something that has to be taken in and run on a dyno?

colemanvoice 04-26-2013 01:21 PM

I can get this started by saying you can do either, plug and play, or dyno tune. I'm not much help other than that, though. I'm sure others will chime in.

Jason P 04-26-2013 01:29 PM

Call Janetty Racing. They will have everything you need, and have great service.

PatsSS 04-26-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason P (Post 6472967)
Call Janetty Racing. They will have everything you need, and have great service.

THIS! I got the Jannetty 415 street package today. Headers,CAI and tune/tuner. All shipped to your door(not sure about AK?). Then follow instructions and receive new tune via e-mail. Super simple, super awesome!

RJT-SS 04-26-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaulnJ (Post 6472736)
I see posts talking about new tunes when long tube headers and other mods are done. Who supplies the software? Can it be done plug and play or is it something that has to be taken in and run on a dyno?

Although it is somewhat debatable (what isn't around here....lol), I think you will find in your research that a dyno tune is the "best", given a good tuner, because it's truly a custom tune for YOUR car. Having said that, I am getting a "remote" or "e-mail" tune from Jannetty Racing. He is one of the top tuners out there for the 5th gens. I haven't seen a bad comment about his tunes. Do some searches around here.

The reason I am going this route is because I want to hold on to my stock tune, I want the capability of using the tool to monitor the car if I want/need to, and I want to be able to restore my stock tune if I have to. If you get a dyno tune, you either have to go back to them to get your stock tune or, you have to buy the handheld tuner that corresponds to the tuning equipment that was used to tune your car - and that is not always available either; it just depends on the tuner. For me, it's a matter of convenience and control. I will gladly give up a couple of HP on a dyno for that.

As for the equipment to accomplish the "remote" or "mail order" tune, there are various manufacturers such as Diablosport, EFI Live, and SCT. They all connect to the ODB-II port under your dash and allow you to copy your stock tune, save it, and upload your new tune. Each one does that a little differently. They also have some monitoring and code reading/clearing capabilities.

Last, and certainly another oft-debated topic is your warranty. When you install a tune, you need to assume you powertrain warranty is voided. Whether is actually is or not depends on how friendly your dealer is towards mods and how much they are willing to help. If your problem has nothing to with your mod and your dealer will support that to GM, you are ok. If you dealer is not sympathetic to mods/tunes, it will most likely be a losing battle.

Just remember that you gotta pay to play.

rberns 04-26-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJT-SS (Post 6474346)
The reason I am going this route is because I want to hold on to my stock tune, I want the capability of using the tool to monitor the car if I want/need to, and I want to be able to restore my stock tune if I have to. If you get a dyno tune, you either have to go back to them to get your stock tune or, you have to buy the handheld tuner that corresponds to the tuning equipment that was used to tune your car - and that is not always available either; it just depends on the tuner. For me, it's a matter of convenience and control. I will gladly give up a couple of HP on a dyno for that.

The other thing I want to add to is that some dyno tuners have the ability to lock up your tune. So if you ever wanted to go to have another tune done, you would need to bring it back to them or find a way to get the tune unlocked to have a different tuner dyno the car. Probably in the next month I will be going the SCT route with JRE as my nearest dyno shop is about 2 hours away.