Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Some Cost Insight (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811)

theonlyoneleft 10-16-2007 10:34 AM

Some Cost Insight

If you go to www.chevy.com/camaro you can enter in a sweepstakes to GM to win one of 3 bumblebee replica's when the Camaro comes out. Pretty sweet, huh? Well if you go on to read the fine print, you might notice a little about the suggested MSRP :-)

THREE (3) GRAND PRIZES/ARV: 2009 Chevrolet Camaro – Transformers Bumblebee Replica Edition-(ARV/MSRP: $40,000). This replica will be a production-version Camaro modified to resemble the exterior of Bumblebee, as seen in Transformers: The Movie. ... Grand Prize vehicles’ APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (ARV) is based on forecasted 2009 Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of a base model Chevrolet Camaro.

$40,000 seems a little bit higher than we were hoping though... Hopefully it wont be THAT much when all is said and done.

=> EDIT/UPDATE: fbodfather reacts to $40k MSRP figure -- http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...7054#post27054

TAG UR IT 10-16-2007 10:46 AM

Uh oh...if it's 40K, Lord help me...there's no way I can afford that much.

I'm thinking that would have to be a super loaded and of course, very limited edition, model.

Thanks, BTW...we signed up!

theonlyoneleft 10-16-2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 26914)
Uh oh...if it's 40K, Lord help me...there's no way I can afford that much.

I'm thinking that would have to be a super loaded and of course, very limited edition, model.

Yeah that was my initial thought too... and then I read the "MSRP of a base model Chevrolet Camaro" part about 10 times before I started yelling profanities at my computer. Haha.

I'm hoping maybe the limited edition part of that is implied? Let's hope for the best! I mean... there's not way GM would ACTUALLY price it that high with the Mustang being almost dirt cheap (I guess you pay for what you get though ;) )

Jak 10-16-2007 11:12 AM

Man, I hope it's not gonna be that high. Let's just keep fingers crossed that that's the price for a limited production model. $40k's gonna be way out of my limit.

z28camaro2471 10-16-2007 11:28 AM

No way can that be the base price. The g8 GT is going to base at I think $29,995. The Camaro is coming back out in response to the Mustang's success. They need to stay price competitive. Hell, you can get a base Vette for $45,000.

Good find though!!

Mr. Wyndham 10-16-2007 11:39 AM

You know, I think TAG hit it.
They go on to mention something about accessorys and such...It's more than likely 40,000k for the 'Bumblebee', base.

balonywolf 10-16-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

THREE (3) GRAND PRIZES/ARV: 2009 Chevrolet Camaro – Transformers Bumblebee Replica Edition-(ARV/MSRP: $40,000). This replica will be a production-version Camaro modified to resemble the exterior of Bumblebee, as seen in Transformers: The Movie. Specialty enhancements/design upgrades may not be covered by the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Grand Prize vehicles will not be available for delivery until 2009. Winners must take delivery of vehicle within thirty (30) days of notice of availability from GM-selected dealer near each winner’s residence, and each will be solely responsible for sales tax, registration, license, title and insurance fees and cost of any additional optional equipment not provided with Grand Prize vehicle. Grand Prize vehicles’ APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (ARV) is based on forecasted 2009 Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of a base model Chevrolet Camaro.
What this means is the $40k is the base price plus the cost of the upgrades, plus the perceived value of a limited edition vehicle. If all that is queezed into only $40k, that's a very good deal.

:thumbsup:

TAG UR IT 10-16-2007 12:28 PM

There's just no way...it HAS to be for a base Bumblebee. You know, that little snippit right there realllly worries me for GM. If they go and price a base Camaro (projected) at 40K, God help the Camaro....because it's demise will soon be right around the corner. There's no way GM will be able to sell 100K of these a year at that price.

PRAY, PRAY, PRAY that this supposed price is for a base model "Bumblebee Special Edition Camaro" is just that....for a "limited production" edition. Man, does that scare me for GM....and for my chances of picking up a Camaro.

Pencil.Fight 10-16-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonlyoneleft (Post 26912)
APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (ARV) is based on forecasted 2009 Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of a base model Chevrolet Camaro.

The $40,000 is based on forecasted MSRP. That means that they took the low 30's number that has been forecasted and went from there. Factor in the paint job (which we already know is expensive), plus all the extras we know will be in there. Add in the collectibility factor and sure, it would be at least 40k. The 40k number is only relevant in terms of taxes. So, anyone who wins this has to pay prize taxes on $40,000. I wouldn't look too much into this when it comes to the pricing of our own Camaros.

TAG UR IT 10-16-2007 12:43 PM

I see the value of a projected BB at WELL over 40K...especially since only 3 will be made! Try 100K...or even more...at the REAL value.

Pencil.Fight 10-16-2007 12:49 PM

That's probably right, which is why we should be glad that they're using 40k as the price. I think prize taxes are like 30%? I would hate to "win" a Camaro and still have to pay 30k for it. I'd much rather pay 13k.

Pencil.Fight 10-16-2007 12:58 PM

Now that we can put aside our worries about the cost of the Camaro, this is the part of the official rules that caught my eye:

Quote:

WINNER SELECTION AND VERIFICATION: Potential Grand Prize winners will be selected in a random drawing conducted on or about 1/30/08 from among all eligible entries received. Drawing will be conducted by Administrator, an independent judging organization. Potential winners will be contacted by the Administrator by telephone and email and will be required to complete and return an Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility and Liability Release and except where prohibited by law, a Publicity Release Form (“Affidavit/Release”) within seven days of receipt. Failure to timely return any required executed documents may cause prize to be forfeited and awarded to an alternate as solely determined by Sponsor. If prize is refused, a prize notification is returned or deemed undeliverable, or any potential winner is disqualified for any reason, an alternate winner will be selected. Canadian winners will be required to correctly answer a skill-based mathematical question in order to claim prize. Except where prohibited by law, acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for Sponsor to use winner’s name, hometown, likeness, statements and other personally identifiable information for promotional, advertising and marketing purposes in any media throughout the world without additional prize, incentive, consideration, consent or review; and upon request, winners will provide written consent to such use. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
Canadians have to prove they have math skills in order to claim a Camaro? Is this standard for all Canadian sweepstakes, or does someone just think Canadians are stupid?

balonywolf 10-16-2007 01:03 PM

I would assume it's just so they can "earn" a prize instead of just winning because they entered.

Pencil.Fight 10-16-2007 01:10 PM

I'm glad I don't live in Canada then. I'd be so excited about winning the drawing, I wouldn't be able to think about Math.

Them: "Congratulations, you've won a 2009 Bumblebee Camaro!"
Me: :eyebulge: "OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG..."
Them: "That's right, it's all yours if you can answer this question."
Me: :eek: "...Camaro, Camaro, Camaro, Camaro..."
Them: "What is 6 times 7?"
Me: ":eyebulge: :eek: "Uhh... Camaro?"
Them: "Ooo, I'm sorry. The correct answer was 42. Better luck next time."
Me: :barf: :flame: :smm7: :slice: :sm4:

OverAnxious 10-16-2007 01:22 PM

Don't read too much into this guys :cool:

AirGoya 10-16-2007 01:44 PM

i am really confused!!
I thought to enter the sweepstakes you had to buy the transformers DVD?!?!?
Can someone answer this ASAP

Pencil.Fight 10-16-2007 01:58 PM

That's what I thought as well, but apparently you don't. Just go to www.chevy.com/camaro

AirGoya 10-16-2007 02:06 PM

yea i can see that so whats to point of the code that i will be getting in maybe a half hour when i get the dvd

Pencil.Fight 10-16-2007 02:11 PM

I don't think there is a code, I'm pretty sure the DVD insert just gives you that web address.

Mr. Wyndham 10-16-2007 02:19 PM

Sales technique: Tell them you need to buy a DVD to enter to win a Bumblebee. Put URL in DVD. URL gets leaked all over the internet. But a lot of people bought the DVD first. :rolleyes:

TAG! Don't get so upset! :laugh:
This is one of those things, that just isn't worth looking into..."Keep the Faith"? We haven't forgotten this, have we?:rolleyes: There's no way the base Camaro will be 40k. None.

All I can discern from this, is that the 3 Bumblebees will be externally altered only. They won't have unique engines or anything...

:iono: I don't particularly care for the yellow, anyways - but don't have a heart attack because of what was written there. It could've been a typo. it could've been a projected price for the base "Top Dog"...who knows:iono:

SSFreak11 10-16-2007 02:42 PM

I think that the $40k represents what it would roughly cost to replicate the car BASED on the estimate of what a base Camaro will cost. :iono:

Pencil.Fight 10-16-2007 02:47 PM

Exactly. That's what I was saying. They know the price of paint and attachments. The only thing they don't know is what the price of a Camaro will be in 2009. That's why they said they based the 40k on future predictions.

The designated value of the prize is $40,000.

DGthe3 10-16-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balonywolf (Post 26941)
I would assume it's just so they can "earn" a prize instead of just winning because they entered.

Thats exactly right. and you don't have to answer the question on the spot, at least for lottery tickets it isn't. Normally its elementary school level math, like (1+5)*8/(4-1). Other questions are trivia based, those are normally for media based contests, like TV shows, they are really easy. For example, if you were trying to win a DVD of Transformers the question might be "What 1980's cartoon is the movie Transformers based off of?". Although its sooo much harder for us to win these prizes, the up side is that we don't get taxed on winnings.

Pencil.Fight 10-16-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 26977)
Although its sooo much harder for us to win these prizes, the up side is that we don't get taxed on winnings.

What? I take that back, I think it's time to move to Canada!

The_Stache 10-16-2007 03:21 PM

Quote from scott over on camaroz28.com..

Quote:

NO NO NO.......base price of a Camaro will not be $40K!!!

Important to understand a couple of things:

>Sweepstakes laws in some states say we must disclose a value. We don't have a value because we have not announced pricing! Pricing is the last 'battle' if you will. The Camaro -- in order to be successful -- must be in line pricewise with its competition. The number one competitor is..........................Mustang............

Mr. Wyndham 10-16-2007 03:34 PM

That "settles" it. ;) :laugh:

DGthe3 10-16-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight (Post 26979)
What? I take that back, I think it's time to move to Canada!

In that case, don't move to Quebec. They get excluded from these contests. I have no idea why

09fathomgreen 10-16-2007 03:50 PM

The mathematical question is pretty standard when it comes to Canadian contests.

TAG UR IT 10-16-2007 04:57 PM

That mathmatical question must be some type of joke...unless it was for some game show...like 3-2=?? I would hate to be the poor soul that froze up just because of being nervous and screws up the answer....hehehehe.

Great news on this day...great news. Scott says no to a 40K Camaro. We were right.

No...you don't need to buy the DVD to enter...in fact, there's nothing in the DVD set. Just go to the Chevy site.

fbodfather 10-16-2007 09:45 PM

Wow -- people freaked over the $40K figure -- that's a rule for Sweepstakes in that in some states, you have to state a value.

The new Camaro will be very affordable.

Also think about this:

Bumblebee isn't a 6 cylinder -- so we know the winner will be getting a WELL equipped car -- and the color -- they will have to be specially painted.

Anyone price out a 'custom' paint job lately with 'trick' paint? (Bumblebee doesn't have a 'regular' paint job!)

so......calm down -- spread the word. The new Camaro WILL be very very affordable.

Mr. Wyndham 10-16-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather (Post 27054)
Wow -- people freaked over the $40K figure -- that's a rule for Sweepstakes in that in some states, you have to state a value.

The new Camaro will be very affordable.

Also think about this:

Bumblebee isn't a 6 cylinder -- so we know the winner will be getting a WELL equipped car -- and the color -- they will have to be specially painted.

Anyone price out a 'custom' paint job lately with 'trick' paint? (Bumblebee doesn't have a 'regular' paint job!)

so......calm down -- spread the word. The new Camaro WILL be very very affordable.

Today was a busy day for forums! :laugh:
There was so much new info to gobble up (thanks btw;)) that they read it superfast, saw 40k...base camaro. and freaked out!

To be honest...and no offense to anybody here...I found it rather funny!:sm0:

Jeff 10-16-2007 10:26 PM

40k is attached to the "Bumble Bee" name. The normal Camaro when it comes out I think a base model V6 will be 21-22k. No stress here.

DGthe3 10-16-2007 10:47 PM

anyone else have that sense of relief after reading that info that fbodfather released in post #30?
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...7054#post27054

Jak 10-16-2007 10:51 PM

I was thinking that myself. The name, special paint, ect. And what about the " The new Camaro will be very affordable"? That's really got my intrest peaked.

Mr. Wyndham 10-16-2007 11:10 PM

Anytime Scott quiets an unsettleing rumor I feel happy :D.
Actually, pretty much everytime he posts, I feel happy:laugh:

He's got such a sense of humor, I would never have expected out of a 'big-shot' in a company. It's good to know that we've got "one of our guys [enthusiast]" with a say in things.

Mindz 10-16-2007 11:18 PM

Wish he'd come post stuff here once in a while too. It's been maybe a year? I agree with you dragon.

TAG UR IT 10-16-2007 11:41 PM

Well...that settles that! *wipes brow*

I must say that I was worried due to the way the article was written. It made it sound to be priced comparible to a base Camaro. In fact, I like how Scott puts it,
Quote:

"The new Camaro WILL be very very affordable."
I like that WILL and double very...hehe...that works for me!!!

Mindz 10-16-2007 11:45 PM

Just means that "the big v8" that will "plant and old mans ass in the seat" will only be very affordable.

Mr. Wyndham 10-16-2007 11:45 PM

I think he was destined for this role...Settlemire. And he tends to end arguments and debates over rumors when he settles the matter...;)

Then he also commented a while back that his initals are S.S.

Coinicidence? Um...yeah:laugh: - but still pretty cool! :D

Punk_rider 10-19-2007 05:37 PM

read in the camaro sweepstakes rules:

Quote:

THREE (3) GRAND PRIZES/ARV: 2009 Chevrolet Camaro – Transformers Bumblebee Replica Edition-(ARV/MSRP: $40,000). This replica will be a production-version Camaro modified to resemble the exterior of Bumblebee, as seen in Transformers: The Movie. Specialty enhancements/design upgrades may not be covered by the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Grand Prize vehicles will not be available for delivery until 2009. Winners must take delivery of vehicle within thirty (30) days of notice of availability from GM-selected dealer near each winner’s residence, and each will be solely responsible for sales tax, registration, license, title and insurance fees and cost of any additional optional equipment not provided with Grand Prize vehicle. Grand Prize vehicles’ APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (ARV) is based on forecasted 2009 Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of a base model Chevrolet Camaro. Winners must a have valid driver’s license from jurisdiction of residence and proof of insurance to take delivery. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize in whole or in part with another prize of comparable or greater value if the intended prize is not available for any reason as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. Each winner will be responsible for all taxes (not limited to federal, state, provincial, local and/or income) on Grand Prize and if a U.S. resident will be required to provide, to Administrator, his/her Social Security number for tax reporting purposes. Administrator will file an IRS Form 1099 with the Internal Revenue Service for the fair market value of any prize awarded to a U.S. resident.