Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Terrible test drive (the dealer, not the car) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106103)

gnznroses 09-15-2010 07:34 PM

Terrible test drive (the dealer, not the car)

I went today to test drive the Camaro and it was not only a complete waste as far as testing goes, but a bad experience all around. I walked away having no idea how I felt about the car, both because of the nature of the drive and being distracted the whole time by the asshole in the passenger seat.

When I pull onto the road from the dealership lot, with the slightest bit of acceleration, he tells me to "wait until we get on the interstate before gunning the engine". I wasn't even sure if he was referring to that little bit of acceleration or just in general - surely, I thought, he just means in general. But no this guy was the most anal person I've ever dealt with. I told him that I rarely drive the interstate and didn't even want to test it there but he insisted. (The dealership is just a couple blocks from the interstate on-ramp.) Accelerating on the on-ramp at maybe 35-40 mph he yells "woah partner"...

A couple minutes later he starts asking me to make a commitment to buy today, to which I say that's why I'm test driving it. I explained how, for instance, I was afraid the car would feel heavy and sluggish (my car is 700 lbs lighter) and I'd like to drive a curvy road to judge. Insterstate driving just was not what I was looking for, and as far as v6 vs v8 performance goes, most of my accelerating is done from redlights in town.

The salesman basically jumps down my throat and tells me to "cut the bullshit", and that I'm not making a commitment to buy today and I'm indecisive on engine and color but want to be allowed to "drive 0-100" in his car. I told him I had no intention of driving like that or doing anything unsafe (and never asked to) but if I'm going to pay $40,000 for a car I have to be able to test it similar to how and where I normally drive (which includes accelerating to a whopping 40 mph around town). He was being a complete asshole for no reason. We drove just a couple minutes down the interstate, and, following his directions, exited, turned around, and came back along the interstate again. Completely useless steady-speed driving.

Coming off the interstate I asked again about merely giving it a little gas from a stop and he says we've test driven long enough (in a real smart-ass way). He then tells me ok, accelerate right here to 40 then (we're going 18 already), and then asks if that was good enough for me.

He then actually has the nerve to try and sell me the car today and wants to do a credit check because he says "I don't know if you can afford it and if not I'll find you something else". I had already told him I could afford it, what my credit was, what other cars I considered, and that I bought my Tiburon at that dealership in 2007 with $10,000 down. I understand he can't know if I'm being truthful but you don't talk down to your potential customers. I refused the credit check and he tells me to "come back when you're ready young man". I told him I wouldn't be and kick myself for not chewing him out a bit.

I think I'll go somewhere else and test drive again, and tell them ahead of time that if they're going to be super anal then to forget about it. I don't think I was being unreasonable at all - I wasn't asking to do 0-60 runs or burnouts or go 100 mph. If I'm test-driving a sports/muscle car however I'm not going to drive like a grandma.

I guess also that this guy doesn't realize that his job isn't merely to take my money and sale me a car but to SALE me the car. I'm supposed to be indecisive - it's his job to change my mind, not to cuss at me and talk down to me.
I get the impression that this guy is a higher-up and not just a salesman so that's all the more reason to never go back.

The dealer btw is Dutch Miller Chevrolet in West Virginia.

BackinBlackSS/RS 09-15-2010 07:41 PM

What did you test drive? V8/V6 manual or auto.

BackinBlackSS/RS 09-15-2010 07:42 PM

Screw him, find another sales guy or another dealer.

spurscar 09-15-2010 07:42 PM

That's awful. My brother test drove a V6 before buying a 1SS and the dealer he
drove with actually told him to "go ahead and get into it", haha. It's a sports car, sheesh.

If that guy's last name wasn't Dutch or Miller I'd write the dealership about your
experience with this guy, sounds like a real ass.

coupesX2 09-15-2010 07:43 PM

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Not all dealers are like this. My dealer was pretty cool during my test drive. Just remember, money talks. Take your business somewhere where they will treat you with respect.

rydahog 09-15-2010 07:54 PM

go to another dealer, also these things he did are a ploy to keep your mind off the car and your thoughts about pricing,, also no turn roads , only straight SMOOTH roads with no bumps.. If as you say he was rude...go into the managers office and chew his ass out and tell him in no uncertain words that he lost the deal because of this nit wit.Sure he may yes you to death etc...but you got it off your shoulders..good luck...now you should be no more "MR NICE GUY" when you leave that dealership they are F...ing you verbally as you close the door..

gnznroses 09-15-2010 07:55 PM

I test drove the V8 auto. I didn't get a good feel for the car and have doubts about the visibility but I need to test again for sure.

I did email a guy I had talked to the other day (he wasn't there today), and told him why I wouldn't be back and why he wasn't going to be getting any sales commission from me. The person I dealt with today gave me his card but I crumpled and tossed it. I can't find his name. I think he's management level though.

I'll be hitting up any dealership review sites & sections (Edmunds has one).

skuttduck 09-15-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnznroses (Post 2334450)
I test drove the V8 auto. I didn't get a good feel for the car and have doubts about the visibility but I need to test again for sure.

I did email a guy I had talked to the other day (he wasn't there today), and told him why I wouldn't be back and why he wasn't going to be getting any sales commission from me. The person I dealt with today gave me his card but I crumpled and tossed it. I can't find his name. I think he's management level though.

I'll be hitting up any dealership review sites & sections (Edmunds has one).

Is your dealer on the good dealer list here?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621

gnznroses 09-15-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuttduck (Post 2334469)
Is your dealer on the good dealer list here?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621

nope

chazysoccer11 09-15-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coupesX2 (Post 2334421)
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Not all dealers are like this. My dealer was pretty cool during my test drive. Just remember, money talks. Take your business somewhere where they will treat you with respect.

Yeah, my dealer was real cool too, he threw me the keys and told me to have fun. I would stay away from that dealer or at least talk to a manager about your experience.

skuttduck 09-15-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnznroses (Post 2334475)
nope

I hope the list helps you find a reasonable dealer.
I never understand why someone thinks that by belittling you, that you'll give in and buy. I remember someone using that tactic trying to upsell the timeshare with me and my wife.

Did you look up the BBB ratings on the dealership? That's sometimes kind of fun.

gnznroses 09-15-2010 09:05 PM

What's interesting is they were voted best dealership in the tri-state, I believe by a poll from the local newspaper or tv station.

motorhead 09-15-2010 09:16 PM

I would have floored it and then proceeded to take him for a hell ride. He can't say much if your the one behind the wheel.

kewl-w1p 09-15-2010 09:27 PM

Me and the misses walked in looking at the Pontiac G8 with a V8, and as we walked by the Camaro she said, "Oh I want to try that one too.."

Salesman threw us the keys and said take it out for a while. We were gone for over 1 hour. We came back and bought the black 2SS with Inferno package 2 days later.