Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Knight Rider light, legal or illegal? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129107)

Chaotic73 02-13-2011 10:09 AM

Knight Rider light, legal or illegal?

just like the title says are they or aren't they or does it depend on the color? I have an amber one in my grill.

I live in NJ if that matters.

GB EB 02-13-2011 10:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm not a cop but I play one on TV.

I believe they are only legal if white and non-flashing.... but then again... why would amber NOT be legal? Your parking lamps are amber-

I got the LED DayLiner by PUTCO because I wanted something that is legal...

the "con" of the PUTCO product is it sticks out a little farther than I prefer.
The "pro" is the legality of it, and no drilling or cutting to install. Wired it direct to side marker so no "fob" or switch required.... parking lamps on, LEDs on!

if I had it to do over... I'd probably go with a white knight rider just because from the pics I've seen, it doesn't stick out as much / obvious / during the day.

Mr_Draco 02-13-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaotic84 (Post 2835514)
just like the title says are they or aren't they or does it depend on the color? I have an amber one in my grill.

I live in NJ if that matters.

Depends on it's function, color and your state laws.

The only legal colors in the front in all states is amber and white. You have amber so your safe here.

Now it comes down to function. How is it being used and does it strobe back and forth? This is where it can get tricky as this varies by state. Some states specifically state amber can only be used for informational lights such as turn signals where others do not. Since yours is in the grill it would also fall under underglow and some states allow this while others do not. Generally speaking strobe lights are illegal on private vehicles unless allowed by the DOT (which this isn't). All of these laws ONLY apply to vehicles on public roads so if you're sitting in your driveway or a parking lot showing it off you're fine.

So as you can see there is no easy answer to this question. What you need to do is look up your states and counties statutes and figure out what is legal in your state and county.

KnightRiderSS 02-13-2011 02:49 PM

As long as they are not on while you are driving I doubt any LEO would stop you for them.....

SummoneR 02-13-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS (Post 2835539)
I'm not a cop but I play one on TV.

I believe they are only legal if white and non-flashing.... but then again... why would amber NOT be legal? Your parking lamps are amber-

I got the LED DayLiner by PUTCO because I wanted something that is legal...

the "con" of the PUTCO product is it sticks out a little farther than I prefer.
The "pro" is the legality of it, and no drilling or cutting to install. Wired it direct to side marker so no "fob" or switch required.... parking lamps on, LEDs on!

if I had it to do over... I'd probably go with a white knight rider just because from the pics I've seen, it doesn't stick out as much / obvious / during the day.

It looks like you kept the black insert in the slot? I would have removed it first so that the Putco light set further back.

GB EB 02-13-2011 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SummoneR (Post 2836241)
It looks like you kept the black insert in the slot? I would have removed it first so that the Putco light set further back.

No..... that is how thick the DayLiner is... it sticks out even with the black part removed...

2010 SSRS 02-13-2011 03:30 PM

I need a Knight Rider light now.

TXGooch21 02-13-2011 03:44 PM

I don't see how it could be illegal if your car is not in motion....

vdevine 02-13-2011 03:50 PM

In every State, blue and red lights are not authorized anywhere on your car exterior to include rear license plates and windshield wiper sprayer nozzles when operating the motor vehicle. You can turn them on when your not driving though. I have the night rider lights myself.

SummoneR 02-13-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS (Post 2836313)
No..... that is how thick the DayLiner is... it sticks out even with the black part removed...

WOW! Really? Yeah that's unfortunate. Did they use SMD's or the 5mm acrylic covers LED's?

To the OP best way to find out is to ask local PD.

Usually anything other than white or Amber is illegal and it normally can not flash strobe or scan etc.

EDIT: Judging from the picture looks like they used regular acrylic covered LED's. No wonder it's so thick. Good to know thanks for posting about it.

bigted83 02-13-2011 05:58 PM

I retract my previous statement

SummoneR 02-13-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigted83 (Post 2836763)
How bout gay

:emoticon8::moon::smm7:

=Stephens= 02-13-2011 08:57 PM

I had white and I also had red. I have been pulled over in Nebraska with the Red ones. I found out, red and blue are illegall as a felony. " Impersonating a law enforcement or emergency vehicle." Only way I was able to talk my way out of a trip to the detention center, I said I had them for posing and just put them on and forgot they were on. Mine were moving back and forth. With the white, I never got pulled over once and had them on all the time, also when I was driving. As long as your vehicle is not in motion they are legal to have any color.

ToolFan66 02-13-2011 09:28 PM

What about LED's under the car that give the glow to the ground?? Not that I want to do it just curious..