Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Building my car on a as cheap as possible with new parts budget. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276733)

Juice2SS 02-12-2013 11:40 AM

Building my car on a as cheap as possible with new parts budget.

I am taking my L99 from slug to performer as cheap as possible. The full on plan is described below. Most people look at what I do with my cars and say why... then they see them run and perform, which shuts them up. I tend to be the guy that does the stuff that no one wants to do because it doesn't squeeze every HP out of the car. I want useable power, stock driveability, and as little affect on MPG as possible. My previous 1998 Camaro Z28 was a full bolt on car with a stock LS6 cam. The car ran 91MPH in the 1/8th. I have a feeling I can do better with this L99. See the ideas below.

Stainless Power headers - $685 Installed
MagnaFlow resonated X-Pipe and Borla Type-S Axleback - $450 Installed
Vararam tune CAI - $350 Installed
Yank 3600 SS stall and ADM Cooler - $1200 Installed
GPI Intake and Cam - $3600 Installed
GM 3.45 Gears and Posi Mod - $900 Installed

All changed a bit. Went to a GPI cam, GPI intake, SP headers, Borla Type S axle back and MagnaFlow x pipe, GMPP heads, 3.45 gears, back to stock wheels, Vararam CAI, and some other minor stuff. Hate the car now. I'm going back to my original plan. GPI cam and intake are going bye bye. Putting the LS9 cam in and will eventually throw an LSA blower on top of it. Lets see what the changes are on the dyno from changing cams and doing a LS3 conversion.

SSmokinSS 02-12-2013 02:12 PM

I'll be watching this one....

aquablueL99 02-12-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juice2SS (Post 6151515)
I am taking my L99 from slug to performer as cheap as possible. The full on plan is described below. Most people look at what I do with my cars and say why... then they see them run and perform, which shuts them up. I tend to be the guy that does the stuff that no one wants to do because it doesn't squeeze every HP out of the car. I want useable power, stock driveability, and as little affect on MPG as possible. My previous 1998 Camaro Z28 was a full bolt on car with a stock LS6 cam. The car ran 91MPH in the 1/8th. I have a feeling I can do better with this L99. See the ideas below.

Car currently has a K&N CAI, JEGS 2 1/2" X-Pipe, and a DiabloSport inTune.

Clear Image 1 3/4" headers - $299
Clear Image HF cat - $249
Stock 2 1/2" exhaust - $Free.99
DT muffler delete - $250
VMax TB - $150
Lloyd Elliott Ported heads - $500
LS9 camshaft - $120
LS3 valve springs - $70
DOD and VVT delete kit - $500
GM 3.91 gears - $190
Random fluids and gaskets - $300
Remote Tune - $135

You may not like it... but I know it will do exactly what I want it to. I'm going to be conservative and say 415rwhp. We'll see what she does at the track when it's done. Who knows, I might even put a stall in it for the right price.

Juice....Good for you my friend...I am so interested in your build as you are doing the work!!...:respekt:

Keep us up-to-date on it's progress...
:w00t:
Kurt ABL99...:chevy:

Juice2SS 02-12-2013 05:12 PM

Only stuff I likely wont do myself is the heads. I just dont have the time for that one. I've got the line on some CHEAP labor that is quality. :D

SC2150 02-12-2013 05:48 PM

I can't find fault with any of this at the budget you have set.....would not be my choice, but I am willing to bet in advance you see some great gains....just not optimized by any means. For a $100 more get a good used aggressive cam & springs to wake up those heads and watch....

More power to you! :thumbsup:

aquablueL99 02-12-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juice2SS (Post 6152719)
Only stuff I likely wont do myself is the heads. I just dont have the time for that one. I've got the line on some CHEAP labor that is quality. :D

Keep to YOUR plans....it will be sweet!!!....nicely done...:respekt:

Kurt ABL99...:chevy:

Juice2SS 02-13-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 6152866)
I can't find fault with any of this at the budget you have set.....would not be my choice, but I am willing to bet in advance you see some great gains....just not optimized by any means. For a $100 more get a good used aggressive cam & springs to wake up those heads and watch....

More power to you! :thumbsup:

There are very few cams you will find for $200 used that are worth the time. Then you have springs. Add on $250 for those. Then you need to start thinking about all the supporting mods. I'm not getting into all that. I have a plan. It is to break 430rwhp and not be able to be heard. We will see how it goes.

Juice2SS 03-06-2013 03:34 PM

Headers and suspension go in this weekend. :D

daveagogo1 03-06-2013 04:33 PM

Couple things. Based on what you want to achieve at lowest cost. Why an LS9 blower cam with no blower? Why a $280 muffler delete that gained zero HP.

Better options available by simply taking that $280 and using it on a better cam for your application and getting the springs.

RED DEMON SS 03-06-2013 04:59 PM

I absolutely agree with Daveagogo1, useless for an LS9 Camshaft, zero gains without a blower!
Also since no one else has said it yet i will!

:needpics:

Juice2SS 03-06-2013 09:58 PM

I'm using the LS9 cam because I am putting together a a list of parts to put the ZL1 supercharger on the car in the future. The LS9 cam offers a significant upgrade over the L99 cam even if it is a blower cam. I DON'T WANT A CHOPPY ASS CAM THAT IS GOING TO AFFECT THE WAY THE CAR DRIVES. Geez. lol I want a tame cam that is EXACTLY like the stock cam. No one, and I mean NO ONE does it like GM. My LS6 cam in my 98 Z had no lope, no change in MPG, no surge, no need for ANY supporting mods. That car was quick for the street. Not everyone wants a crazy ass combination in their car. You say there are better options. I say, not for what I want. Shops don't grind cams based on the requirements I have. Period.

An. that muffler delete actually made a SOTP feel. I cut 47 pounds off the car, got better than stock looking tips, and the sound is far better. Well worth the $280. Show me a catback exhaust I can get for $380. Don't worry... I'll wait. Check back after the install and see why I used the LS9 cam.

Juice2SS 03-07-2013 09:11 AM

If the LS9 cam is such a bad NA cam... why do they put it in the LS7?

daveagogo1 03-07-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juice2SS (Post 6256609)
If the LS9 cam is such a bad NA cam... why do they put it in the LS7?

Nobody is saying it is a BAD cam. However, for the money and the work involved in the cam job. Probably 35hp at best hardly seems worth the money and effort.

You probably got more out of your headers and tune.

Anyways, do as you wish.

Juice2SS 03-07-2013 03:50 PM

Over the LS3 cam it might only be that much. I'm sure it will be worth quite a bit compared to the AFM stuff and overall useable power. I want to push the redline up to 6600. It won't be as much as you think. Headers and tune are in the $1500 range with "the good stuff". I can do the LS9 cam swap for $800 with labor. Already have the heads lined up to be ported for $400. I think I might get more than 35hp. ;)