Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Camaro handling compared to other performance cars? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286730)

carpleror 04-02-2013 02:07 PM

Camaro handling compared to other performance cars?

Ok, so I've been searching through this forum for a while now and decided to join so I could make a thread for a topic I haven't seen before; how the Camaro actually handles compared to other performance cars. I see a lot of discussion about HP and such (mainly compared to the mustang), but how does it actually drive; suspension, steering wheel stiffness, etc.? I'm looking into getting a Camaro pretty soon and the reason I ask is because I'm currently driving a 2005 Nissan 350Z and I LOVE the way it drives. The car hugs the road, and the steering wheel is VERY stiff. And, of course, it's got a lot power. So I'm curious as to how the Z would compare to an LS Camaro (which is what I'm looking into). I know the Camaro has about 50 more HP than the Z, but it's also like 600 lbs heavier, so I'm sure that translates into a decrease in performance right there. I'm expecting lower performance with this switch (which I'm ok with because I love the Camaro), I just want an idea of how big a difference there is in the performance of the two cars. I know the only way to really tell would be to actually drive a Camaro, but until then I figured this would be a good start. Thanks guys!

cornerspeed92 04-02-2013 02:11 PM

Well i may be partial :) but my 1LE kicks @ss its like one of the best handling cars on the road.Have you seen any of the videos i posted from Laguna seca?

The IOM Ninja 04-02-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpleror (Post 6372512)
Ok, so I've been searching through this forum for a while now and decided to join so I could make a thread for a topic I haven't seen before; how the Camaro actually handles compared to other performance cars. I see a lot of discussion about HP and such (mainly compared to the mustang), but how does it actually drive; suspension, steering wheel stiffness, etc.? I'm looking into getting a Camaro pretty soon and the reason I ask is because I'm currently driving a 2005 Nissan 350Z and I LOVE the way it drives. The car hugs the road, and the steering wheel is VERY stiff. And, of course, it's got a lot power. So I'm curious as to how the Z would compare to an LS Camaro (which is what I'm looking into). I know the Camaro has about 50 more HP than the Z, but it's also like 600 lbs heavier, so I'm sure that translates into a decrease in performance right there. I'm expecting lower performance with this switch (which I'm ok with because I love the Camaro), I just want an idea of how big a difference there is in the performance of the two cars. I know the only way to really tell would be to actually drive a Camaro, but until then I figured this would be a good start. Thanks guys!

You will not be impressed with the V6 Camaro's handling compared to the Nissan. As an owner of a 350Z those things are like go-karts they do whatever you want no matter what. The Camaro handles like a freaking boat unless you get the 1LE or ZL1 (Z/28 isn't out yet). The V6 might have similar lap times to your 350Z (though I seriously doubt it) but around corners it will not feel as flat or well maintained I can guarantee it.

SPCBA 04-02-2013 02:16 PM

if you think the z handles well and has "a lot of power" then the camaro wont disappoint. my wifes accord is quicker and handles better than a z......

why a v6 tho? ss1le is a phenominal car for the price

Mr. Wyndham 04-02-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpleror (Post 6372512)

I don't think it'll be as much of a drop in performance as you might think. The LS is very nimble, but might not be as stiff as your 350z. If you feel like it - that's EASILY fixed with some inexpensive aftermarket parts like springs and sway bars.

caverman 04-02-2013 02:23 PM

Best thing to do would be to go to a dealership and take an LS for a test drive.

Personally, I think an LS vs 350z will probably disappoint you. However, that's just my opinion. You may feel it is comparable...then again maybe not. This is why the best thing would be to test drive one and make the decision for yourself.

woodside783 04-02-2013 02:26 PM

Get a 1le

amz 04-02-2013 02:34 PM

Tracks or Roads ?

I can say that the independent rear end helps a ton , on real life roads.Especially in a bumpy fast turn.
A big jump from previous generation Camaros.

On the track, it is super smooth, and can make a silly amateur look very good.

plus1zero 04-02-2013 02:35 PM

One of my coworkers drives a z vert, 2004 model. He had a few mods done, showing me how it felt and how much quicker he thought it was.

Honestly, didn't feel much if any faster than mine.

CamaroTom 04-02-2013 03:23 PM

For sure look at the 1LE. You will not be happy going from a 350Z to a base camaro.

Brandonmos 04-02-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 6372529)
Well i may be partial :) but my 1LE kicks @ss its like one of the best handling cars on the road.Have you seen any of the videos i posted from Laguna seca?

minor jack- Something i wonder alot, how do our cars deal real world against the other performance cars out there handling wise? basically does the 1LE handle great for a camaro, or great in general..?

Mr. Wyndham 04-02-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonmos (Post 6372914)
minor jack- Something i wonder alot, how do our cars deal real world against the other performance cars out there handling wise? basically does the 1LE handle great for a camaro, or great in general..?

Great in general. :thumbup:

Take a look at the sort of company the 1LE is in when setting lap times around VIR:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

;)

And it's said (for what it's worth)...the Z/28 is three seconds faster than the ZL1. :eyebulge:

Brandonmos 04-02-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 6372926)
Great in general. :thumbup:

Take a look at the sort of company the 1LE is in when setting lap times around VIR:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

;)

And it's said (for what it's worth)...the Z/28 is three seconds faster than the ZL1. :eyebulge:

I had no idea.... :confused0068: