Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hydrolocked Or So I Thought (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246916)

JustFresh 08-28-2012 10:01 PM

Hydrolocked Or So I Thought

So today i managed to avoid all the puddles in Charleston, SC during an absolute downpour however there was one that i simply COULD NOT avoid… no other road to my condo. It seemed shallow at first but it was DEEP…

So my car shuts off. And I have an Injen CAI.

So i pushed the car to a dry area and try and crank it up. NOTHING.

Had the car towed to my house about an hour away and took off the silicone connector between the CAI and the throttle body and water POURED out.

So i removed all the spark plugs and turned it over a few times until water stopped shooting out of the cylinders.

I dried everything off the best i could and put all the spark plugs back in and after about 5 minutes that LLT was singing again!!

Changed the oil and flushed a few extra quarts through for good measure.

Drove the car about 25 miles without any issues so far.

At about 500 miles i will change the oil again just to make sure.

Any other suggestions?

Lil' Nasty 08-28-2012 11:24 PM

Wow that's pretty scary, maybe just check that nothing else is damp like electrical and etc. sorry that happened :(

KnightRiderSS 08-28-2012 11:44 PM

that, my friend, is a hydrolocked engine.....

I'd be listening for any unusual noises as hydrolocking an engine can do a lot of internal damage to the metal parts...

maybe you got off lucky and nothing got bent

2010_camaro 08-29-2012 01:15 AM

You got lucky as hell sir!

JustFresh 08-29-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee (Post 5506821)
Wow that's pretty scary, maybe just check that nothing else is damp like electrical and etc. sorry that happened :(

Everything electrical seems fine so far

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnightRiderSS (Post 5506878)

I'd be listening for any unusual noises as hydrolocking an engine can do a lot of internal damage to the metal parts...

I'm really hoping so. If i run into issues i will just take it to the deal and be like :iono:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010_camaro (Post 5507044)
You got lucky as hell sir!

I know i have horseshoes up my ass!

JohnZ 08-29-2012 01:49 AM

Do you have a hydro shield installed on your intake? Also, how did you go through the puddle, fast or slow? Just curious, in case I have to deal with a big puddle.

mydreamcar 08-29-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnightRiderSS (Post 5506878)

I say take the car in to get checked, my freind did that to his car, he let it dry out and drove for about 6 months, after that the engine blew. Reason, bent rod, reason, from hydrolocking. What would have cost a third of the cost to fix cost him a remanufactured engine. over all cost was about 3k on a used mazda 3 engine with warrenty. I would think the camaro engine is going to be more. good luck

JustFresh 09-03-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 5507082)
Do you have a hydro shield installed on your intake? Also, how did you go through the puddle, fast or slow? Just curious, in case I have to deal with a big puddle.

I have a hydroshield but i noticed that the elastic part had lost its elasticity and needs to be replaced. Its about 2 years old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydreamcar (Post 5507313)
I say take the car in to get checked, my freind did that to his car, he let it dry out and drove for about 6 months, after that the engine blew. Reason, bent rod, reason, from hydrolocking. What would have cost a third of the cost to fix cost him a remanufactured engine. over all cost was about 3k on a used mazda 3 engine with warrenty. I would think the camaro engine is going to be more. good luck

Seems to be running fine right now and i have 28k miles on the car....

the warranty on these cars is to 36k right?

hawkfe 09-03-2012 10:13 PM

I would check the hydroshield, I replaced my intake after having some problems with water, when I checked the hydroshield water went right through. Had mine installed for almost two years. Like anything I think the water repellent feature may wear off, may want to treat it with a water repellent product.

Sikoriko 09-04-2012 08:28 AM

anything new

Sikoriko 09-04-2012 08:29 AM

I dont think it was unless you had the throttle wide open to get enough water inside. it probably just stalled out.

JustFresh 09-04-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkfe (Post 5530167)
I would check the hydroshield, I replaced my intake after having some problems with water, when I checked the hydroshield water went right through. Had mine installed for almost two years. Like anything I think the water repellent feature may wear off, may want to treat it with a water repellent product.

That's a good idea. I'm going to contact injen and ask them about this because even though there is a disclaimer on their website, this shouldn't really happen with a product that they offer as a "hydroshield"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sikoriko (Post 5531040)
I dont think it was unless you had the throttle wide open to get enough water inside. it probably just stalled out.

i mean water shot out of the heads when i cranked the engine with the spark plugs out....

RickRay 09-04-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustFresh (Post 5530112)
I have a hydroshield but i noticed that the elastic part had lost its elasticity and needs to be replaced. Its about 2 years old.

Seems to be running fine right now and i have 28k miles on the car....

the warranty on these cars is to 36k right?

100,000 Miles - 6 Years Power Train

Angrybird 12 09-04-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustFresh (Post 5507069)
Everything electrical seems fine so far

I'm really hoping so. If i run into issues i will just take it to the deal and be like :iono:

I know i have horseshoes up my ass!

Before taking it in to the dealer if you find problems you better put the factory air box back on. Just a suggestion.