Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Nitto INVO = horrible understeer (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302552)

Bmatth1162 06-18-2013 09:21 AM

Nitto INVO = horrible understeer

EDIT: This post only applies to 245 INVOS in the front which are great for daily driving but awful for handling. If you're considering getting INVOS and have an interest in any sort of competetive driving, trust me and get at least 275 INVOS for the front (obviously this requires wider front rims, but from what I hear, 275s up front are enough tire to handle these big cars).

I just wanted to give an honest review of the Nitto INVO tires in stock SS sizes (245/275) for anyone who might have considered them for use in auto-x/road courses/spirited driving on curvy roads... very unimpressive. I have a good amount of track experience with other cars, and I know camaros are heavy and push anyway yada yada, but I can safely say that the front 245 INVOs are some of the worst handling tires I've ever dealt with. They give relatively good feedback but squeal like a pig and require a considerable amount of extra wheel rotation to make the turn. The rears have great lateral and straight line traction though.

I knew I was giving up some handling with 245 INVOS up front, but I'm going to have to get AT LEAST sway bars just to get back to where I was with the P-zeros. Has anyone else had better luck with wider front INVOs?

Denis 06-18-2013 10:40 AM

I just did an auto cross event with the a few weeks ago. Noticed a little understeer but I attributed it to the stock sway. And granted they aren't the stock sizes (275 up front). Idk...I like em.

SPCBA 06-18-2013 10:43 AM

its always a trade off with street tires. invos arent very stick and for a heavy car that likes to push it has issues with all season treadwear type tires.

tires is something that is worth going full retard on and having a track set.

skar 06-18-2013 10:44 AM

I do not track the car . Mine do not squeal ! I don't think the are any better then the p zeros for 60 foot times. I am running 315 35 20 on back 275 up front. on TSW wheels 9&10" That said 245 invoes are not load rated for our cars weight. 275 are.

Bmatth1162 06-18-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis (Post 6684684)
I just did an auto cross event with the a few weeks ago. Noticed a little understeer but I attributed it to the stock sway. And granted they aren't the stock sizes (275 up front). Idk...I like em.

Yeah, I think my biggest mistake was sticking with 245s up front. The rear 275's have great traction, so I imagine having them up front would help a lot. If I get frustrated enough I might end up selling the 245s and getting 20x9 rims to put 275s up front. I'm just trying to let people know that they should avoid 245s up front for any sort of fun driving not in a straight line

sangerbanger58 06-18-2013 11:01 AM

Hmm I was about ready to buy these in a month. A friend told me to go with Toyo for some reason

spyderbuddy 06-18-2013 11:39 AM

for a 2lt Rs i've no problems, But I don't have the weight the V8's do. I'm Running the 245 45 20's on the front and the 275 40 20's on the back. Very sticky. I do not track my car, but I do get a little sprited with driving.

DuskSS 06-18-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 (Post 6684298)
I just wanted to give an honest review of the Nitto INVO tires in stock SS sizes for anyone who might have considered them for use in auto-x/road courses/spirited driving on curvy roads... very unimpressive. I have a good amount of track experience with other cars, and I know camaros are heavy and push anyway yada yada, but I can safely say that the front INVOs are some of the worst handling tires I've ever dealt with. EDIT: STRICTLY TALKING ABOUT 245s UP FRONT. They give relatively good feedback but squeal like a pig and require a considerable amount of extra wheel turn to make the turn. The rears have great lateral and straight line traction though.

I knew I was giving up some handling with 245 INVOS up front, but I'm going to have to get AT LEAST sway bars just to get back to where I was with the P-zeros. Has anyone else had better luck with wider front INVOs?

If this was too long to read... I've seen quite a few posts here asking about the INVOS. Don't get Nitto INVOS (in 245 up front) if you have any interest in the car's handling

exactly why I went with Invo 275s on the front and 315s in the rear.. locked solid and on rails in the autocross.

was619 06-18-2013 12:55 PM

I have the stock size 20x9s in the front as well as the back with a 1le front bar. the invos are great. under control in turns in the rain, they seem to have good tread life so far and have decent dry grip.

something that you might not be considering is that the sidewall is much less stiff on the invos than the Pzeros even though they both can handle the weight of the car.

275s all around feels great and balanced.

keep in mind you can buy the invos in the 275 width for $198 each before tax from tirebuyer . com....

So Cal Camaro 06-18-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 (Post 6684298)
I just wanted to give an honest review of the Nitto INVO tires in stock SS sizes for anyone who might have considered them for use in auto-x/road courses/spirited driving on curvy roads... very unimpressive. I have a good amount of track experience with other cars, and I know camaros are heavy and push anyway yada yada, but I can safely say that the front INVOs are some of the worst handling tires I've ever dealt with. EDIT: STRICTLY TALKING ABOUT 245s UP FRONT. They give relatively good feedback but squeal like a pig and require a considerable amount of extra wheel turn to make the turn. The rears have great lateral and straight line traction though.

If this was too long to read... I've seen quite a few posts here asking about the INVOS. Don't get Nitto INVOS (in 245 up front) if you have any interest in the car's handling

I rented a Camaro recently on two occasions for autocross events since my Camaro is elsewhere....I forgot how sloppy these cars handle stock out of the box and even with the Pirelli's in the front, their 245's are no prize either when trying to get the Camaro to handle during aggressive driving...so I'm thinking the issue is more that 245 is too narrow for these cars, rather than any particular tires characteristics and handling...the INVO is a good tire...:headbang:

Bmatth1162 06-18-2013 04:07 PM

Thanks guys, it's sounding like the problem is that I mistakenly went with stock tire sizes and it's just not enough tire in the front. Like I said I'm happy with the rear 275 invos. Sooooo this leads me to my next set of questions...

Does anyone know where to find a relatively good deal on a pair 20x9 SS silver rims and how to sell 2 week old 245 invos? Haha

Denis 06-18-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 (Post 6685947)
Thanks guys, it's sounding like the problem is that I mistakenly went with stock tire sizes and it's just not enough tire in the front. Like I said I'm happy with the rear 275 invos. Sooooo this leads me to my next set of questions...

Does anyone know where to find a relatively good deal on a pair 20x9 SS silver rims and how to sell 2 week old 245 invos? Haha

So the plan is to run a square setup? That'll probably be a nice setup.

Bmatth1162 06-18-2013 07:34 PM

Yeah I'll be looking for a pair 20x9 stock rims to run 275 up front. I guess my initial reaction to them wasn't giving the INVOs a fair shake with only 245s up front. My track car is an E46 M3 and I have 245 Pilot Super Sports up front and love them to death, I guess I underestimated the Camaro's weight and tendency to push when I got the INVO in 245 up front. I'll update this if I'm able to find the rims and get 275s on anytime soon. Thanks!

BubbaSS 06-18-2013 10:39 PM

Yeah it's definitely the 245 tire rating that's the issue. At 99W they have a softer side wall than intended while on our cars, makes sense that track performance would suffer...I have Invos in stock sizes and they are great for daily driving.