Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   1LE Shifter? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324283)

Craig B 10-21-2013 07:31 PM

1LE Shifter?

Does anyone know if a ball type shifter handle can be used on a stock 1LE shifter? Looking to do something like this for the line lock http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...de-1630069.htm

The Stig 10-21-2013 07:46 PM

Stock shifter is pushed on - so no threads.

kansjfr 10-21-2013 11:27 PM

Wrong, wrong, wrong. On the 1LE (and on all '13s, I believe) the shift knob is held on with a setscrew that is only accessible after removing the boot from the shift knob. There's a thread on it, do a search. The original poster broke off the tabs inside the shift boot prying the knob and boot apart. I put a really cool knob from EPCO on mine, but getting the boot to mate with the shift knob was a pia and required some jerry-rigging (spelling?). You will NEVER get it off trying to just pull it off. I love the EPCO knob and how it looks, and don't have to worry about that stupid factory knob getting the nap worn off.

Craig B 10-22-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansjfr (Post 7114458)
Wrong, wrong, wrong. On the 1LE (and on all '13s, I believe) the shift knob is held on with a setscrew that is only accessible after removing the boot from the shift knob. There's a thread on it, do a search. The original poster broke off the tabs inside the shift boot prying the knob and boot apart. I put a really cool knob from EPCO on mine, but getting the boot to mate with the shift knob was a pia and required some jerry-rigging (spelling?). You will NEVER get it off trying to just pull it off. I love the EPCO knob and how it looks, and don't have to worry about that stupid factory knob getting the nap worn off.

Thanks for the info. I am going to give them a call today.

The Stig 10-22-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansjfr (Post 7114458)

Really? Wow, did not know that. Is that new for the 2013's or for the 1LE's?

SteveV 10-22-2013 06:44 AM

Hey Kans... Any pics of the knob?

Fraxum 10-22-2013 08:07 AM

Darn, I would like to replace my 1LE shifter and was hoping the 1LE knob would fit my OE Barton stick and shifter. I like the stock knob. As far as shifters go:

MGW > Barton > 1LE/ZL1 > Hurst > Stock SS

kansjfr 10-23-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveV (Post 7114759)
Hey Kans... Any pics of the knob?

I've taken a couple of pics of the knob on the shifter, trying to figure out how to get them from my digital camera to the computer (done, I think), and then to this thread. Patience, please.

S3XPanther 10-23-2013 10:53 PM

I found this on Epco's site. Prob one of the best they offer.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/24/6adyzera.jpg

kansjfr 10-25-2013 01:40 PM

6 Attachment(s)
OK, I think I finally got the pics attached. I bought two of the Epco knobs, one has more white in it than the other. When you get the boot and factory knob separated, loosen the setscrew on the factory knob and remove it. Then put the the largest diameter sleeve they supply on the shifter shaft, but you'll have to gently grind or file down the outside of the sleeve so that the knob will go over it and the shifter shaft. Then put the knob on the shifter shaft with the sleeve on it and put the setscrews in and tighten them. After you get that accomplished, you'll need to file down those little pins inside the shift boot until they will friction fit over the collar with the setscrews on the Epco knob. You just have to keep filing down the pins a little at a time (I used a rat-tail file) until the shift boot will tightly fit over the collar that holds the setscrews on the Epco knob. I told you it was a jerry-rigged thing, but it looks great (to me, at least), and it's holding up well so far.

detox 10-25-2013 03:12 PM

Leather or Fabric knob is much more comfortable.

Fraxum 10-25-2013 03:23 PM

I have had several knobs on my '11 SS and like the standard 1LE knob better than all the others. Barton will be making a '13 compatible stick so I can keep the stock knob and install my Barton shifter. That job is a PIA but worth it.

kansjfr 10-25-2013 04:51 PM

OK by me.

SteveV 10-25-2013 05:06 PM

That is a cool looking knob.