Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   4th Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Buying an LS1 for my v6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4659)

shadowed_Stranger 06-18-2008 04:12 PM

Buying an LS1 for my v6

So I have a 1997 camaro v6 that I wish to convert to a v8, and the engine I want to buy is going to be around $1500 with shipping. This is what I am buying (auction ends in 6 hours w00t!)

Quote:

You are bidding on a complete takeout LS1 engine/manual 6 speed transmission combination with 79000 miles on the odometer from a 2001 Chevy Camaro SS. If you have been looking for a setup like this you will not find a better value anywhere and with over 350 horsepower this is a must buy. Damage to the vehicle was not severe and the engine/transmission are in good running condition for their year. This is the same engine found in 1998-2002 Camaro Z28, SS, Trans Am, WS6, 1997-2004 Corvette and 2004 GTO. All accessories are included ie. water pump, alternator, power steering pump, motor mounts, internal clutch assembly, A/C compressor, starter, engine wiring harness, LS6 intake, manifolds, MAF, throttle body, transmission crossmember and PCM computer. This combination has the performance T-56 6 speed transmission and is perfect as a replacement or for anyone looking for a nice swap into their hot rod. A similar GM crate setup with all these accessories could easily exceed $9000+ so this is a great deal. Feel free to ask any questions about this setup. Both the engine and transmission were fully inspected after removal and in running condition. When shipped engine/transmission will be connected and ready to drop in your vehicle.
Opinions/Suggestions?

z28camaro2471 06-18-2008 04:19 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'm high bidder!!

Kidding. Good luck.

shadowed_Stranger 06-18-2008 04:28 PM

Man you scared the hell out of me, lol. But for real...

What else will have to be bought besides exhaust and possibly gauge cluster?

Good deal? Hard to swap?

z28camaro2471 06-18-2008 06:57 PM

Sounds like you got everything you need.

B2E2RUN 06-19-2008 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowed_Stranger (Post 80201)
So I have a 1997 camaro v6 that I wish to convert to a v8, and the engine I want to buy is going to be around $1500 with shipping. This is what I am buying (auction ends in 6 hours w00t!)

Opinions/Suggestions?

Weren't you talking to Travis about this over on panamacitylsx? If so, meet up with him, he can walk you through this! He is excellent with this sorta stuff...
Oh, and if your car is an auto, you will need a console from a manual...

shadowed_Stranger 06-21-2008 09:07 AM

No I wasn't, but what is panamacitylsx? Just the forum? I live in pensacola, so if he felt like helping that would be awesome!

Also my car is a manual.

john334 07-11-2008 08:52 PM

hey shadow stranger i am doing the exact same thing you are doing to your car but i cant find a ls1 engine for cheap like you did how did you find it?

CamaroSpike23 07-11-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john334 (Post 88086)
hey shadow stranger i am doing the exact same thing you are doing to your car but i cant find a ls1 engine for cheap like you did how did you find it?

its called ebay.

Succendo 07-16-2008 12:59 AM

Long time lurker first time poster here.

Are there any complications with a drop-in like this relating to suspension and whatnot? I know for instance a Z28 isn't just a Camaro with a V8 instead of a V6. Besides cosmetics (spoiler, hood), what would it take to turn one into the other?

TAG UR IT 07-16-2008 03:09 AM

Don't quite know about suspension, but obviously you're going to need a new tranny as well....prolly new radiator, wiring, ecu, and tons of other swap items. I honestly can't tell you everything, but would think it would be more cost efficient and time saving to just go and buy one selling the V6 that you might have now... Lots a work and not enough time.

Spike? Resident answer question asker responder?

Zhawk 07-16-2008 03:53 AM

And be patient. That engine bay in the 4th gens is incredibly tight.
You might consider getting headers now, before dropping the LS1 in. I know on my 95Z/28 the engine had to be pulled partially out of the car to install headers. Doing them know will save you a massive headache if you are considering them. And why not go all the way if you are making changes?

You'll also want to beef up the suspension, both front and rear. It sounds like you are getting all of the engine stuff from this auction.

One more thing, you didn't state whether your car has an auto or stick currently. If it has the auto you'll need to get a clutch pedal and all of the associated hardware.

Good luck and enjoy!

shadowed_Stranger 07-20-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhawk (Post 90378)
And be patient. That engine bay in the 4th gens is incredibly tight.
You might consider getting headers now, before dropping the LS1 in. I know on my 95Z/28 the engine had to be pulled partially out of the car to install headers. Doing them know will save you a massive headache if you are considering them. And why not go all the way if you are making changes?

You'll also want to beef up the suspension, both front and rear. It sounds like you are getting all of the engine stuff from this auction.

One more thing, you didn't state whether your car has an auto or stick currently. If it has the auto you'll need to get a clutch pedal and all of the associated hardware.

Good luck and enjoy!

Well the car I have now is a stick, so no worries there, but anyway the damn bank would not give me a measly $5k (minimum loan) so I couldn't buy it not I am pissed off to hell and back, but it will be ok because if I can keep my current transmission working long enough for the new one to come out life will be perfect.

BitchinCamaro 07-20-2008 12:11 AM

This site is a little old but it has some good info:
http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/
I think the big thing you are missing is the V8 k-member.
Good luck :)

Namrepus28 07-21-2008 08:23 PM

You'd need properly rated V8 springs. Also, the swaybars should be at min. the size used on the stock V8s. That should be all you need for suspension components.