Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   What do you do to keep the dust down in your garage? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216504)

hawk02 04-14-2012 03:28 PM

What do you do to keep the dust down in your garage?

Spent 3 1/2 hrs after work yesterday washing my car (2 bucket method, foam gun, leaf blower, etc). It looked fantastic when I pulled it in the garage last night. However, looking at the car this morning, there's already a fine layer of dust on it just from sitting in the garage overnight.

Short of putting a cover over it or installing some form of air filtration system, what does everyone do to keep the dust down in their garage and off their car?

RiCorvette 04-14-2012 04:06 PM

Here's some thing to consider:

http://www.woodworking-news.com/wood...ltration.shtml

MMC 04-14-2012 04:24 PM

Try painting the floor, this might just be dust from the concrete spalling.
I use regular floor paint as most paint including epoxy will lift off the floor over time. Good epoxy floors cost around $6-$10 per sq/ft. The stuff they sell at home stores is junk and very low in soilds. I just use a leaf blower to clean out the garage and keep the door closed unless you are out there doing something. :chevy:

9072SS/RS 04-14-2012 04:25 PM

i use a hepa equiped vacuum and let it run for a few hours and no dust at all. its a ureoclean vacuum that we use at work.

hawk02 04-14-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricamaro (Post 4805510)

Ricamaro, Thanks for the link. Amazon sells the Shop Vac air cleaner. Seems reasonably priced plus I can get fuel points. Looks like the Delta products are off the market or out-of-stock. The Jet products are a bit out of my price range. I don't mind the dust that much. :)

hawk02 04-14-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9072SS/RS (Post 4805581)
i use a hepa equiped vacuum and let it run for a few hours and no dust at all. its a ureoclean vacuum that we use at work.

I've got a Hoover GUV on order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq0ibQcW8DY

Claims quiet operation. I could run it a couple hours a day or overnight. Be worth a try.

midnighter 04-14-2012 05:07 PM

Shop Vac with high dust catching filter and mop down with clean water.

hawk02 04-16-2012 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After doing a little research, I decided to purchase this Honeywell hepa air filter (under $200 at Home Depot). Specs say it will cover a 19' x 21' room - this is exactly the size of my garage. This evening I wiped the dust/pollen off the rear rally stripes. If there is little or no dust on the stripes in the morning, I'll keep it. Otherwise it's going back to Home Depot.

Adam's Polishes 04-16-2012 12:37 AM

Not sure if your garage is like mine, but at one end there are 2 lower screened vents, the size of an HVAC vent that open up to the outside. Apparently code requirement to keep proper ventilation in the garage... everytime the breeze blows they'd stir up a little dust in my garage since they were only about 6" off the ground, just above the footing.

I found small filters that fit in them perfectly at home depot... they're made to filter interior hvac outlets, but they work perfect. Cut down a lot on the amount of dust entering the garage as well as how its stirred up by outside breezes.

Iomcamaro 04-16-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams (Post 4812275)
Not sure if your garage is like mine, but at one end there are 2 lower screened vents, the size of an HVAC vent that open up to the outside. Apparently code requirement to keep proper ventilation in the garage... everytime the breeze blows they'd stir up a little dust in my garage since they were only about 6" off the ground, just above the footing.

I found small filters that fit in them perfectly at home depot... they're made to filter interior hvac outlets, but they work perfect. Cut down a lot on the amount of dust entering the garage as well as how its stirred up by outside breezes.

My garage might possibly not have these. :rolleyes: :D My garage stays pretty dust free, but it will be even better this summer once I renovate it for my new business. I'm putting epoxy on the floor, all new shelving, and new lights. It's gonna be sweet! ;)

hawk02 04-16-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams (Post 4812275)

Nope, no openings like that in my garage. Only opening to the outside is the garage door.

The ornamental trees here in central Ohio are in the process of blooming or have just bloomed making the pollen in the air out-of-control. My garage faces west at the end of a cul-de-sac. On a day like today with a 25-30 mph wind out of the southwest, I'm sure a good chunk of that pollen and dust ended up in my garage. Victory red also seems to be a magnet for it.

Iomcamaro 04-16-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk02 (Post 4812303)
Nope, no openings like that in my garage. Only opening to the outside is the garage door.

The ornamental trees here in central Ohio are in the process of blooming or have just bloomed making the pollen in the air out-of-control. My garage faces west at the end of a cul-de-sac. On a day like today with a 25-30 mph wind out of the southwest, I'm sure a good chunk of that pollen and dust ended up in my garage. Victory red also seems to be a magnet for it.

Do you have a carnauba wax on your car? Carnauba=dust magnet. It looks the best, but it collects dust more than a sealant. A sealant attracts lest dust.

hawk02 04-16-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iomcamaro (Post 4812314)
Do you have a carnauba wax on your car? Carnauba=dust magnet. It looks the best, but it collects dust more than a sealant. A sealant attracts lest dust.

Bought the car in January so I haven't had a chance to wax it. I did however order some Adam's Quick Sealant. Came Friday and got a chance yesterday to apply to the front of the car. I was interested to see if it helped reduce bug guts. If it keeps the dust off, might have to make it priority to do the rest of the car.

onechuck 04-16-2012 09:19 AM

I can tell you I built a 30 X 30 shop about a year ago and I have it air conditioned. I can tell you the biggest thing to having no dust is to never leave the door open. I go in through a man door and I never leave that door open either. I live in a pollen state and I get no pollen either. I drive the car in and out and open and shut the door behind. I wash the car outside and dry it inside but I never leave the door open. Its hard but it works. Also I painted the floor with epoxy and it is fully sheet-rocked.