Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Any quarter mile times yet? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325912)

bada 10-31-2013 11:41 AM

Any quarter mile times yet?

I know it's not a drag car. But most magazines, always post up 1/4 performance times. When they test the cars.

Sven59 10-31-2013 11:48 AM

The rear end was not designed to withstand multiple hard launches so I doubt GM would issue a time.

Gary B 10-31-2013 07:23 PM

GM may not, but magazines will!

Zfatuated 10-31-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bada (Post 7144835)
I know it's not a drag car. But most magazines, always post up 1/4 performance times. When they test the cars.

How does your '32 street truck do as a mudder? What if magazines started testing Z06's in mud runs and rock crawls, does that make sense?

Is not everything about a cars set-up different for either drag or road course? You understand this, yes? Weight transfer? Gearing? Tires? Brakes? Suspension? Driveline?

Who gives a rat's ass about the 1/4 mile time of a Porsche GT3RS?

Sven59 10-31-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary B
GM may not, but magazines will!

Where do you think the mags get the cars from? And I am sure the manufacturers have some say in how their car is used.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android

Zfatuated 11-01-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 (Post 7146400)
Haters gonna hate, Speedy. We'll see 1/4 mile times from the z28 soon enough. I remember when I first bought my ZL1 and took it to the track. Everyone was saying, "it's not designed to be a drag car, you should be on a road course!"

Why don't magazines test a COPO on the 'ring? It's the same question turned 180 degrees right? A COPO is built for the strip, Z/28 for a road course. Where are all the people crying in agony that the COPO hasn't been run on a road course and the times published?

By your comment, all those COPO owners would be haters because they would think you are a moron to want to see their car's time on a road course.

TOYMARO 11-01-2013 08:17 AM

LOL, funny argument. Lets face it. This is the USA. We do stuff here that doesnt make technical sense. Like take a track car to the strip, or a strip car to the track. We like power in general and want to see what it does everywhere. It doesnt matter what it was designed for, just what we can do with it. Stock, modified, what can we do to MAKE it work for "this".

I mean come on.....we put SBC's under bar stools for petes sake :).

I say run everything everywhere!!!! Break it, fix it, do it again!!!! :clap:

AS long as its fun!!!

i love this country!!!!!! We know how to have fun!!!!!
:popcorn:

swiftkart 11-01-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sven59 (Post 7144861)
The rear end was not designed to withstand multiple hard launches so I doubt GM would issue a time.

Says who? It has a Helical diff in it which are 3 to 5 times stronger than the current SS disc sytle diff's, pretty close to what the Truetrac is, but with a few more Helicals, everything on that car is stronger, transmission included.

shaffe 11-01-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zfatuated (Post 7147106)
Why don't magazines test a COPO on the 'ring? It's the same question turned 180 degrees right? A COPO is built for the strip, Z/28 for a road course. Where are all the people crying in agony that the COPO hasn't been run on a road course and the times published?

By your comment, all those COPO owners would be haters because they would think you are a moron to want to see their car's time on a road course.

That argument is not vaild. The COPO was literally designed only for the 1/4. It is 100% a drag car, the Z/28 is not 100% track car. It can not be driven on the street, and they only make 50 or so units a year. You can not drive the COPO to the track race it and drive it back.

While the Z/28 is designed to tackle the twisties, it can be driven on the street and whoever buys it can do whatever they want with it. And as much as you don't like it, when the magazines get their hands on it, they will post 1/4 times either from actually running it or just estimating.

While agree I the 1/4 times don't matter for the Z/28 why does it bother you so much?

shaffe 11-01-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftkart (Post 7147314)
Says who? It has a Helical diff in it which are 3 to 5 times stronger than the current SS disc sytle diff's, pretty close to what the Truetrac is, but with a few more Helicals, everything on that car is stronger, transmission included.

I believe GM directly stated its not recommend for drag racing/hard launches

swiftkart 11-01-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 7147328)
I believe GM directly stated its not recommend for drag racing/hard launches

I see, I must have missed that one.

bada 11-01-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zfatuated (Post 7146392)
How does your '32 street truck do as a mudder? What if magazines started testing Z06's in mud runs and rock crawls, does that make sense?

Is not everything about a cars set-up different for either drag or road course? You understand this, yes? Weight transfer? Gearing? Tires? Brakes? Suspension? Driveline?

Who gives a rat's ass about the 1/4 mile time of a Porsche GT3RS?

I would...

bada 11-01-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zfatuated (Post 7147106)

Would love to see a COPO run the ring atleast once. I run anything I own. At several different formats. Just to see what it will do.