Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Electrical issues (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274606)

Amn_Bly 02-01-2013 06:22 PM

Electrical issues

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272535

Above is the original problem. I got my camaro back on wednesday, 30 Jan. After it was "fixed".

Today I drove my camaro into school, about an hour drive, no problem. After 3 hours, I go to start it to leave, but my remote start isn't working, didn't really think about it, but it wouldn't keyless unlock either, had to turn the lock by hand. So I knew there was some kind of screwy electrical problem again. I check the voltage, only 5 volts in the engine compartment, and 12-13 volts at the battery. I just had the main power transfer cable replaced, anyone have any idea whats going on?

I will note, that the tow guy thought it was weird, got it jumped and on the truck. At the dealership, it started no problem but once I turned it off no power, as in the radio cut out and no overhead light. Finally The radio keeps the time/date for both start ups but both times, after the jump, it informed me that i had two programed keys and the window indexing needed to be performed.

Unknown SSRS 02-01-2013 07:27 PM

something is draining your battery... i would just disconnect your stereo system and see if it still does it.

Amn_Bly 02-02-2013 09:26 AM

This did this before I called anything to see what was happening. Nothing changed, it is very confusing and my dealer is beginning to freak out about it as well.

Amn_Bly 02-05-2013 09:44 AM

Update:

Just giving everyone another report. The dealership found that the grounding bolt did not properly fit into the drilled hole, it was too small. This would cause, when it got cold, for the surface area of contact to decrease causing problems. After they attempted to remove, in which the bolt snapped and had to drill/tap it to remove it, they noticed that from factory the contact surface was not "cleaned" or still had the paint over all surfaces. They removed some of the paint, got a slightly larger bolt and hopefully this is the last electrical problem I will have. Just wanted to let others know.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 02-06-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amn_Bly (Post 6111635)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272535

Above is the original problem. I got my camaro back on wednesday, 30 Jan. After it was "fixed".

Today I drove my camaro into school, about an hour drive, no problem. After 3 hours, I go to start it to leave, but my remote start isn't working, didn't really think about it, but it wouldn't keyless unlock either, had to turn the lock by hand. So I knew there was some kind of screwy electrical problem again. I check the voltage, only 5 volts in the engine compartment, and 12-13 volts at the battery. I just had the main power transfer cable replaced, anyone have any idea whats going on?

I will note, that the tow guy thought it was weird, got it jumped and on the truck. At the dealership, it started no problem but once I turned it off no power, as in the radio cut out and no overhead light. Finally The radio keeps the time/date for both start ups but both times, after the jump, it informed me that i had two programed keys and the window indexing needed to be performed.

So what exactly is going on with your vehicle at the moment? Is it currently in for service? Please let us know all of the details.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

Amn_Bly 02-07-2013 09:29 AM

It has returned from service, free of charge. The grounding bolt went bad. It was below 20 degrees for over a week and the bolt did not fit into the threads currently. This lose of contact resulted in improper grounding. When they tried to remove the bolt head snapped off. After drill/taping of the bolt to remove it, they replaced with a slightly different bolt that shouldn't have a similar problem. As far as my car goes, I have been watching the voltage closely. It has settled down considerably while drive, staying in the 13-14 volt range instead of anywhere from 15+ to 12. I believe this should be the solution to the problem though.

TooCool5 02-07-2013 02:39 PM

Which bolt was it, under the hood?

Amn_Bly 02-08-2013 10:33 AM

No, the bolt I am referring to is the main grounding bolt in the trunk. It is located to the right of the battery.

TooCool5 02-08-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amn_Bly (Post 6136767)
No, the bolt I am referring to is the main grounding bolt in the trunk. It is located to the right of the battery.

I'll have to check mine next time I'm in there. :iono: